Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Gerard Richards Collection - Part 2

"Hot Rod" by Henry Gregor Felsen, Bantam Books, 1951

This is the "original" Hot Rod paperback novel, published in 1951. The cover art was wonderful![IMG][/IMG]

Groovy artwork of Lance Reventlow's Scarab 1961

Cover art of American Pulp Magazine from 1961 depicts Lance Reventlow in his Scarab in truly fantasy type setting racing on a death defying cliff top road course....[IMG][/IMG]

Heres a couple of my early attempts of motor racing photography, with a very basic Anson camera as I remember. These were taken in the pits at Pukekohe on the many long expeditions my brother and I made catching up to six buses to get there from Mairangi Bay on Aucklands North Shore in the early 1970s...

[IMG] upload foto[/IMG]

[IMG] upload pic[/IMG]

Excellent work Gerard, to think back some 43 years about the trials and tribulations you went through to not only take these photos, but also to keep them, is the reason many of us enjoy this website so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Richards View Post
    Another title by Frank O'Hara, published by Horowitz Books in Australia. These are the only two I have seen by him, does anyone else know if there are any more?[IMG][/IMG]
    On another Forum I asked about Frank O'Hara and received this reply from the late Barry Lake.

On the subject of Frank O'Hara, sorry, I don't know who he is. I don't know how someone can (presumably) research motor Australian racing for a novel and not be known to people within the sport.

It could, of course, be someone we know, writing under a nom de plume. Wasn't Bruce Carter a well known motoring writer's pen name when he wrote fiction?

There once was a book based on racing at Bathurst, around the same era as these Frank O'Hara books and I am inclined to think also by him, called Hell Corner.
    I read a bit of it at the time, thought it was a bit over the top and did not buy it.

Brett Willis, Commodore Chev, Pukekohe 1986

Cortina Chev, Pukekohe NZ Grand Prix, 1986

Dick Johnson, in Anderson Brothers Group A Falcon, Wellington Street Race 1984

Capri Chevs's at Pukekohe, NZGP Meeting, 1984?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Richards View Post
    Wow, particularly luv this picture, turn 2 Puke, sheep grazing in the back ground that is now commercial buildings, dirt bank for the flaggies to stand!! no real fencing what so ever, still it was 27 years ago.

Thanks for posting Gerald

Dale M

Tim Slako, Group A Rover V8, Pukekohe Nissan Mobile 500, 1986