Thread: MG Holden TC Special racing in Victoria 1960's

MG Holden TC Special racing in Victoria 1960's

I am researching the history of a MG TC Holden grey engined "square rigger" raced in Victoria in the 1960's

The car was Dark Green with cycle front guards and was raced by Rod Cooper

From a posting on the Autosport Nostalgia Forum I know the car appeared in the:
    - Boxing Day 1964 Hume Weir event
    - January 24 Calder event 1965

Does anyone have any information on Rod Cooper or photos details on this car?

Further to this research, the MG Holden raced against the Ron Kenner R500 special at an unknown meeting in Victoria where Rons R500 special lost a wheel that subsequently hit Rod Cooper's MG Holden

Is there also any leads on this event and meeting?

Here is a shot of the Rod Cooper MG Holden tangling with the Ron Kenner R500 Wheel.

Does anyone recognise the meeting or details

Name:  Rod Cooper MG Holden.JPG
Views: 1077
Size:  121.4 KB

World Champion
    Pretty sure there is a Rod Cooper who is a member of the Rob Roy Hillclimb

Might be a random guess that Kenny is related to Rod?

Kenny, I have found several MG images in the Bruce Wells Collection, but most of the cars differ slightly to the one you've posted above, and most are NSW based. Do you want me to post the photos anyway just to see if there might be a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Kenny, I have found several MG images in the Bruce Wells Collection, but most of the cars differ slightly to the one you've posted above, and most are NSW based. Do you want me to post the photos anyway just to see if there might be a link?
    Steve,

yes if you could post them out of interest it will provie useful in my research

cheers,

Kenny

Sure thing Kenny, here are the first of them. I'm afraid I can't provide driver names, but I can provide the year, and in some cases, the month, as well as the track (although you'll recognise most of the tracks anyway), so someone here may be able to help with names?

Name:  MG 3.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  MG 1.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  MG 2.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  69.7 KB

Steve,

Many thanks and post any more if this is possible - Noe of these so far are close to what i am attempting to identify

cheers,

Kenny

Did this MG come to NZ in the late 60s/70s as I worked on a Similar car in Whangarei that had a grey Holden engine.around 1968/1971.

Hi,
    not sure - It would be good to be able to trace the history of the car and find out if Rod Cooper is still around?

cheers,
    Kenny