Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Gerard Richards Collection - Part 2

I see it now- Beechey came three times in the Nova. First time was Dec 3 1967 Red did have his ex Segedin Mustang, Fahey, Bryan and Coppins were all in Mustangs-no Camaros. Red got Shelby Oct/Nov 1968.
    So this meeting was not the Gold Star November 1968. Beechey hit the fencing on lap 4 and tore a wheel off the Nova. He did not come out again. All that way for 4 laps. .Black first, then Fahey , third was Coppins. Riley did not have a Mustang then-Motorman Jan 1969. Rods car was still white with red stripes.
    This must be the Xmas meeting .I dont have Feb 1969 to put up more details.
    Spencer Black was very fast in this Camaro.
    And John Riley had the Mustang in Candy Red.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 01-29-2013 at 06:40 AM.

I assume Beechey left the Nova in NZ between the late 1968 event, and the Xmas event. He had been racing his new Camaro in Aus and was about to debut the even newer HK Monaro, so the Nova wasn't required. He was likely hoping to sell it to a Kiwi.

Dawson raced his ex-Frank Bryan Shelby at the 1968 ATCC race at Warwick Farm, which was on September 8, so must have bought this car well before Oct/Nov 1968, because it was already painted blue for this event. Dale should know?

And Beechey crashed the blue Monaro ...........

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Dawson raced his ex-Frank Bryan Shelby at the 1968 ATCC race at Warwick Farm, which was on September 8, so must have bought this car well before Oct/Nov 1968,
    Frank Bryan in the Barrycourt Mustang aquaplaned on the front straight at Bay Park at the wet Easter 1968 meeeting where the three lightweight Aussie minis were featured, and spun and mounted the spectator bank. I think that was the last time he raced it, and Red must have bought it shortly after that.

Just reading September 1968 Motorman -
    July 27 at Bay Park, it shows Red in his Segedin Mustang-DE254. No Bryan , Fahey or Coppins there.
    In Pit Chatter -Red Dawson now has the ex Frank Bryan , which he has now repainted metallic blue. After private testing at Pukekohe on August 12...
    A lot happened in those 2 weeks.
    September 8 he had taken it to Aus -Warwick Farm- with Rod and Paul.

Semi-Pro Racer

Nazer Victor

This photo was published 1 Noverber 1974 , caption was , "Jacks new Victor"
    Name:  The nerw Miss Victorious u.jpg
Views: 1921
Size:  138.1 KB

Thanks Mark, yes thats about the time I understood it first appeared.

OK, time for another. Here is Jim Richards hussling the Sidchrome Imp at Bay Park. Great shot, and note how JR used to really hunch over the steering wheel.

Name:  Jim Richards, Hillman Imp, Bay Park 1971-72.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  141.7 KB

OK, time for another. Here is Jim Richards hussling the Sidchrome Imp at Bay Park. Great shot, and note how JR used to really hunch over the steering wheel.

Name:  Jim Richards, Hillman Imp, Bay Park 1971-72.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  141.7 KB
    The late Gerry McKissock who was Clerk of Course at Levels used to describe JR's driving position as one of being "hunched up over the steering wheel like a dog shagging a cricket ball"

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    The late Gerry McKissock who was Clerk of Course at Levels used to describe JR's driving position as one of being "hunched up over the steering wheel like a dog shagging a cricket ball"
    Ha ha ha, I like that!

Here is the next shot, of Geoff Mardon in the Stanton Corvette, in one of its later guises.

Name:  Geoff Mardon, Stanton Corvette, Pukekohe 1967-68.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  113.6 KB

Steve Millen trying hard in the ex-Dave Silcock Jag at Bay Park in 1971.

Name:  Steve Millen, Jaguar 3.8, Bay Park late '71.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  134.8 KB

That's Jim Boyd in the Stanton Corvette, about to roar over Rothmans. Unusual angle, but a good pic.

The Grahame Harvey Elfin 400 Chevrolet, prior to it being fitted with the tall rear wing. Note the length of the exhaust pipes out the back! A few people must have singed a leg or two on these over the years.

What happened to this car, does it still exist?

Name:  Grahame Harvey, Elfin 400 Chev, Pukekohe Oct '70.jpg
Views: 1940
Size:  116.2 KB

. Note the length of the exhaust pipes out the back! A few people must have singed a leg or two on these over the years.
    Yes they did, and it bloody hurt!

Ha ha ha, brilliant! Thanks Rhys.

Elfin 400 Big Block still lives, it in a garage. The long term owner does not want publicity

Cool covers from motor racing novels

Now for something completely different... I have this thing for kitsch type paperback art covers from the 1950s and 60s. Someone recently loaded up a version of Jon Cleary's classic motor racing novel "The Green Helmet". Heres a couple more if I can suss out how to load 'em[IMG][img=http://s8.postimage.org/cc39rwryp/Back_Straight_by_Frank_O_Hara_1963.jpg][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

"The Racer" by Hans Ruesch

[IMG][/IMG]This paperback was published in 1957 by Arrow Books and has a classic crash and burn scene that was pretty accurate for open wheeler racing in the 1950's. Lurid sensational art was the style of the times[IMG][img=http://s17.postimage.org/enxj85si3/The_Racer_by_Han_Ruesch_1957.jpg][/IMG]

"Spin out" by Frank O'Hara, Horowitz Books, 1963

Another title by Frank O'Hara, published by Horowitz Books in Australia. These are the only two I have seen by him, does anyone else know if there are any more?[IMG][/IMG]