Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery sports car

Journeyman Racer
    AMCO has my Levin History book at the moment, when he returns it and he will. I am very fussy about who I lend books to having "lost" quite a few in the past I will post the details if no one else does. Amco may if he spots this. It was done by a Carkeek who were an integral part of Levin and is very good.

World Champion
    OK, Amco72 here......'The Twenty Year History of the Levin Motor Racing Circuit'........1956-1976. A little circuit with a big history. ISBN 978-0-473-13861-5 First published 2010; Lance Hastie, PO Box 4219 Palmerston Nth. NZ. Mostly spelt Masarrari....various drivers and various engine capacities.....Crawford, Wellington, engine capacities increasing every race meeting!! G. McRae, Wellington, 1494cc. 1962 November. April 61....G McRae...Maserari 220S....2200cc This seems to be the first entry, spelt with an E, and 2200 cc engine. Only time at Levin with that engine size. Last entry seems to be march 1967...G McRae...1475 cc. So work all that out if you can. By the way is a great book....500 pages so is pretty comprehensive. Thanks to beowulf for the loan, and yes I will return it in mint condition!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    Tell me more, please. I have never seen or heard of the Levin history.

Stu
    I picked my copy up at the McLaren Trust stand at the Amon Festival.

The Twenty Year History of the Levin Motor Racing Circuit 1956-1976
    Published in 2010 by Lance Hastie, PO Box 4219 Palmerston North
    ISBN 978-0-473-13861-5
    Compiled by Murray Carkeek. (Who was the Levin club secretary, and the very best guy to deal with back in the day.)

List entrants and first three results for all meetings with a brief write up, a bit short on photos, but a valuable addition to a NZ Motor Sport library. 496 pages.

In the back of the book there is a bit from Graham McRae, says the first meeting for the car was 15th April 1961, blew up in practice, dns. So that may explain the change in engine size on at least one occasion. In that piece the spelling is Masarrari.

World Champion
    Well, in the list of competitors it is spelt with an E...Maserari. And if as Mr McRae himself says in the back, it was a combination of Maserati and Ferrari why spelt it with an A.....MASER......ferr... ARI. Any way, the first entry in April 61 is the only way it is spelt with and E.

The Levin book is selling for $85.00.

Semi-Pro Racer
    It's a compilation of entry-lists and results (usually first three or four) of every Levin meeting. Very little text, and what there is is clearly lifted from contemporary newspaper reports - to the extent of "Joe Bloggs should do well". Very few illustrations. Compiled by period race secretary Murray Carkeek and 'edited' by Lance Hastie

I got my copy from some retailer in Levin - if you put "levin 1956-1976" into google it should bring them up. If you have no luck I'll try and dig out my email to them

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    I really must go through programmes etc from its first appearance (February 1961) to see how it should be spelt. I'm fairly sure I decided back in the day it should be 'Masarrari', but there were numerous other spellings. McRae himself was asked a couple of years ago for a definitive ruling and didn't know...
    OK - here we go. First appearance was April 1961, not February

Primary source (ie, contemporary) references to first appearances
    (up to end of 1962 only)

What I have always believed to be the correct version highlighted in bold

1/4/61 Palmer Head hillclimb
    Evening Post: Austin Special
    Dominion: Masararri

8/4/61 Houghton Bay hillcimb
    WCC Bulletin: Masarrari (twice)

15/4/61 Levin
    Evening Post preview: “Masararri, not to be confused with Masaratti”
    Programme: as in previous post
    WCC Bulletin: Masarrari

07/04/62 Houghton Bay hillclimb
    Evening Post: Maseratti
    WCC Bulletin: Masarrari, Massarrari, Maserarri, Maserrarri

27/7/62 WCC Levin sprint
    Evening Post: Masarrari
    WCC Bulletin: Masarrari

24/11/62 Levin
    Programme: Maserati (three times)
    Auckland Star Sports: Maserarri
    Dominion: Masararri once, Masarrari once

15/12/62 Ohakea
    Programme: late entry – not listed

29/12/62 Mount Maunganui
    Programme: Masararri (four times)

Journeyman Racer
    I know it keeps all you pedants happy. But does it really matter we all know it is the same car. Must have got out of bed on the wrong side.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Well, we've got to call the thing by some name...

World Champion
    Beowulf.....who are you accusing of getting out of bed on the wrong side? If Mr McRae himself cant even tell us the correct spelling, why should we be so pedantic about it......its easier to say.....MasA.....than MasER and we are all guilty of lazy speech, well most of us.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Perhaps we should revert to calling it what I believe a recent owner did - McRae 220S?

World Champion
    What good idea!!!!

World Champion
    And incidentally, what was the 2200cc engine in the car at that first meeting. Triumph?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Supercharged Austin A70!
    That was followed by a Lycoming aero engine (run just once, I think) then a Humber 80 that grew from 1500cc to something around 1700 or 1800
    When Lance Crawford bought the car from McRae he didn't get the big engine, but ran a 1500 Humber 80

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Well, we've got to call the thing by some name...
    On the assumption that the car was registered for theoretical road use, as the majority of competition cars were at that time, would anybody know what was given as the "Make" of the Mase(a)r(rr)ari on its registration papers.

Or as a more general query, was there any restriction on what you could use as a registration name for a one-off vehicle in the 1960's.

I have a trailer which I bought(new) around 1990 and it annoyed me somewhat that the the papers had the make as "Home Built" because it was actually professionally built. After some years I queried this with Motor Registrations, and suggested it could be changed to Reeon or Reeon Engineering as they were the builders, but they would only agree to a change to "Factory Built".

It was a requirement for all racing cars to be registered at least during the early '70's, something to do with public liability insurance I believe. At least for single seaters the usual category we used was "E class A" which was the same as a farm tractor, thus avoiding the various WOF requirements. Somewhere there will be a record of all those registrations and the make.

The term "Homebuilt" is a generic term now preferred by LTSA, I run trucks for a living and most of our heavy trailers are registered new as Homebuilt despite being manufactured by reputable trailer builders.

World Champion
    Yes, I wonder who the little clerk in the LTSA decided on the 'generic' homebuilt title. Just makes it easy for them. I'm sure Howard does not like his heavy trailers being called 'home built'!!!!!!! Likewise, TSV in Cambridge would object violently if you described their chassis and trailers as home built, knowing the expertise of the design and construction team there. Makes you sick, and we let them get away with it.

Semi-Pro Racer
    To add to the confusion, the registration for a boat trailer which came with a 12 foot tinny I bought some years back gives the make as "Parkercraft". They built the boat, but I doubt that they built the trailer! Probably we should be thankful that is the level of our complaints. Some other countries less than 2000 miles away from NZ have a whole raft of rules and prohibitions on non standard vehicles and ruinous duties on second-hand imports.