Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Festival Of Motor Racing (2013)

Great pics as always. Shame they didn't have this class both weekends. I hate to say it, but the CanAms would have been better as a demo and these saloons given another outing.

Great shots , liking the HB Viva , makes a nice change .

What you don't notice in the photo's, bloody brilliant as they are, is that ALL the signwriting on the Rover, including driver's country flags, are hand painted.
    That's always the thing that bugs me about restorations that people do these days - the computor graphics that are done because there is a real shortage of people that can signwrite the "old fashioned" way.
    Maybe I'm just old and fussy :-)

I still have a couple of tins of signwriter's black they used before stick on numbers were the norm! At each event, the signwriter would be around scrutineering/documentation with his mahl stick, brushes and both white and black paint. Another bit of history lost.

My mate the sign writer would find it hard to keep his hand still now. Always reckon he was better with a couple of cans under the belt.

I doubt if any were beter than {Toenails" lost his legs when 4yrs." watched him doing the side of Telstar at Manfield some years back ,wondered how he could do the windscreen.No problem just swung onto the bonet with ease,nothing he could not do, swim, fly a plane, race cars circuit and W.Springs,Travels the world helping folks to a beter life!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    My mate the sign writer would find it hard to keep his hand still now. Always reckon he was better with a couple of cans under the belt.
    Rod, I`m glad I did a full signwriting apprenticeship in the late `70`s, rather than the `graphics applicator' course of today. When I`m not busy with the machinery imports, I enjoy helping people with their motorsport restorations doing the lettering by brushwork, but it is becoming a vanishing trade.

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    I doubt if any were beter than {Toenails" lost his legs when 4yrs." watched him doing the side of Telstar at Manfield some years back ,wondered how he could do the windscreen.No problem just swung onto the bonet with ease,nothing he could not do, swim, fly a plane, race cars circuit and W.Springs,Travels the world helping folks to a beter life!!

Is that Tony Christiansen you're talking about, Jim? I was at school with him, bloody hell he had some go in him !
    Believe he's been to Bonneville in the last few years as well. A great inspiration to those amongst us who are "too busy" or it's "too hard" to get stuff done.

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Is that Tony Christiansen you're talking about, Jim? I was at school with him, bloody hell he had some go in him !
    Believe he's been to Bonneville in the last few years as well. A great inspiration to those amongst us who are "too busy" or it's "too hard" to get stuff done.
    Tony is currently an elected member for Tauranga City Council

Wow, you guys posting all these photos, you're a talented bunch! These are just fantastic and I'm really enjoying looking through them all. Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Gee View Post
    Just spent about an hour reading through the thread. Its wonderful to know the event attracts such interest and praise. We are aware that searching for perfection is a tough game, but we try every year to make the event a bit better than the last.

We have been inundated with some really nice messages and comments about the Denny Hulme events, and we just wanted to say back, officially..

Thank You.

Great forum by the way. Off for a look in some of the other threads now.

Cheers all,

Richard Gee
    NZFMR Director
    Hi there Richard, its great to see you on here. Glad you like the site, and congratulations to you and the rest of the team for putting on such a superb, world class event.

Yes thats him sorry but in a senior moment his name sliped my mind,no doubt caused by you know who!!

Just remembering the tale when Tony was on lifegard at the Mount,he went out and saved this young women from drowning,on getting back on the beach when she came to ,she noticed his legs were missing and assuming a shark had got him she fainted