Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to all the Breadvan Anglia's?

What happened to all the Breadvan Anglia's?

Anyone got some photos of the Breadvan Anglia's .
    I heard recently that the Dave Simpson car is being restored?
    Someone told me that Jack Nazers Anglia was scrapped and the running gear put into his Mk1 Cortina.

Craig

I heard a dubious mustachioed Westie has the Fahey car?

Hadn't heard anything about the Simpson car. I assumed it was long gone? Would love to know more.

Neil Doyle also had one, with a small block Chevy. That one ended up in the South Island and driven by Alex Dickie, but these cars were all outlawed from OSCA after 1972. Dickie built a Victor and I think some of the running gear from the Anglia was put in this.

The Nazer car seems to have vanished immediately following the last Allcomer season.

Most were fairly well useless after 1972, once OSCA had banned all the old Allcomers. There was nowhere to race them and they couldn't really be adapted for road use because there was nowhere to fit headlights.

The Fahey/Ward car was at the Amon Festival, the Nazer car was totalled against the bank at Levin, be great to see the Simpson and Doyle cars restored, should they still exist.

Here are a couple of period shots of the Simpson and Fahey Anglias both from the Steve twist collection that can be found elsewhere on this forum.

Name:  04 Early Levin 1960s h006.jpg
Views: 3214
Size:  127.5 KB

Name:  06 Early Pukekohe f009.jpg
Views: 3073
Size:  130.1 KB

I thought there were only four Breadvan Anglias, as listed above, but these shots show a fifth. Does anyone know anything about the red with white stripes car in these shots?

Name:  05 Early to Late Levin 1967 1968 g004.jpg
Views: 3007
Size:  117.9 KB

Name:  03 Early Levin Mid 60s f033.jpg
Views: 3095
Size:  116.4 KB

Name:  02 Early Levin f001.jpg
Views: 3020
Size:  126.6 KB

Just looked through the Levin book, there is a #92 Anglia of D H Hamill and a #92 Anglia of G Huxford they don't fit in with the other car numbers though. Will do some more concentrated research later.
    Last edited by pallmall; 05-26-2011 at 07:26 AM.

Heres the man himself with the car. Taken at Hampton Downs

I guess the key is when was the Zephyr Corvette blue?
    Its first season before being painted white and gaining the stacks?

The only meeting the entry list matches anything close to the other car numbers is November 1966 for G.Huxford.
    In March 1968 there is a fastback Anglia #92 for RJ Slacke from Masterton.

The other possibilities are that it is the Radisich car before it got the droop front, was it ever Red?
    Is it the ex Sipmson car, where did that go to?

I haven't got a full enough collection of Motorman or Autonews anymore.

I'm pretty sure those shots are from the 1966/67 season Gavin, after Coppins had sold the car. Or at the very least, post-1966 season. Could be anytime after that.

According to the Levin entry lists then it can only be March 1968, although the listing for 141 is Coppins in the Mustang.
    Last edited by pallmall; 05-26-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Levin 1966 Entry List

Name:  Top-2.jpg
Views: 3040
Size:  174.7 KB

This is all from a very distant memory of that meeting ,but maybe some one can check with Wayne Huxford and see if that is Garys car ,I can sort of remember another fast back one being around at that time ,also although Rod is in the program with the other Anglia it was not ready for that meeting ,I brought quite a lot of stuff off them a couple of weeks before that meeting so thats how I know the other car was not up and going.I think you will find that Ken Bailey ran with Rods entry and number for that meeting ,as the entry list filled up quite quick ,there are a lot on the reserve lists in the program,if you look close at that photo I think you can actually make out the y on the end of the drivers name on the door

Semi-Pro Racer
    I'm pretty sure Gary Huxford breadvanned one of his Anglias - no time to check right now
    The ex-Radisich/Sprague car also ended up in Wellington - with Gary Lang, I think - but was rarely seen in events other than hillclimbs

David did manage to ID the date of those photos as being 26/11/1966 back on the Steve Twist Collection Part 1: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...n-Part-1/page2

Here's a fastback Anglia that I photographed in the Claudelands show buildings at the time when Graeme Lawrence had his McLaren M4 car in Air NZ colours. It was at the same show. I think it was only a road car and didn't race. Anyone know any better ??

Whose was this beast. Jack Nazers Name:  breadvan #38.jpg
Views: 3273
Size:  27.5 KB?
    Paratutu Road Races 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by Javman View Post
    Whose was this beast. Jack Nazers Name:  breadvan #38.jpg
Views: 3273
Size:  27.5 KB?
    Paratutu Road Races 1965.
    Yep

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    Just looked through the Levin book, there is a #92 Anglia of D H Hamill and a #92 Anglia of G Huxford they don't fit in with the other car numbers though. Will do some more concentrated research later.
    Pallmall.........the 'prettiest' Anglia/Breadvan in my mind had to be the Hamlin/Charles version,first time I saw it was at 'Practise' Wigram on the Friday ( I've mentioned before,my Father was involved with 'timing/Lap Scoring',so I got in for 'FREE',which ment into the pits in the Middle of the Circuit/Start/Finish...this was too good to miss...I had an understanding Boss!)..well this Anglia was immaculate,great lines,Metallic Silver Paint,couple of laps into practice it found its self on its roof comming on to the finishing straight,doors 'flapping open'...arrived next day ready to race sporting a 'Black' vynal roof..........I've mentioned this Anglia in discussion many times,how I thought it was the nicest one built ,it would now appear I had the owners Name wrong!!!.........I believed it came from Auckland area,maybe Hamilton....thought I saw a photo on this thread???...was it Hamill & Charles....I think it was entered as, (Hamlin)Hamill & Charles Conversion....like they where intending to build them for sale ,I thought at the time..........regards thunder427/MJ

Semi-Pro Racer
    Breadvan story;........got to work one morning in the mid/60's to be hailed into the bosses office,where a discussion was in progress.the subject, much to my interest, seemed to be centred around cars !!!

It seemed our 2nd in charge was a little miffed regarding an incident that had occurred the previous evening on his return drive from a 'Skiing Weekend'

"Myles,you figure this out,I'm driving back to Christchurch along the Eyrewell State Forest road..(which if I remember right was Concrete that went for literally Miles)...in my new Volvo 403,when I look in my rear view mirror,because I'm intending to pull out to pass about 8 cars in front,well would you belive this joker is sitting right on my back bumper,a 'bloody' Anglia like I used to have, w.e.l.l, I indicate my intentions,shift down to 3rd,pull-out and of I go past those 8 cars,I look again in the rear view mirror and the 'BLOODY' Anglia is still attached to my bumper,W.E.L.L I indicate my intentions and that Dam Car pulls along side me like I was parked,slaps into top gear and just dissappeared into the distance......I don't ever remember my Anglia having that sort of performance"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A quick mental picture came to mind that there had been a 'Hill Climb' event that Sunday at the Northern end of the State Forest Road ,..uMMMM??????? (Can't remember the events name at this late hour!)

"You didn't happen to notice the Colour of this Anglia,like, did it have 'BIG' wheels hanging out the front by any chance"????????????

"Well Yes!!..it was a dark Green colour and yes the wheels where at a very odd angle,sticking out the front fenders and 'OH!! very loud.....would that be legal"?

" Hell!!! David,don't panic,like don't trade you 'new' Volvo back in, what ever you do...that would have been Niel Doyle in his Anglia/Corvette heading home to Ashburton,he would have been at the local 'Hill Climb' you would have come by on you home journey" !!!

Only in NZ, in the 60's !!!!!!!!!!!!.......................................regards thunder427/MJ

Semi-Pro Racer
    This is a list of the fastback Anglias I know of. Some were not “fastbacked” by their first owners

1. Dave Simpson (Auckland) 1966, Frank Radisich 1967. Sprague family (Timaru) 1968-70, Peter Kocis (Dunedin) 1970-71, Gary Lang (Wellington) 1971, Ian Taylor 1972

2. Paul Fahey (Auckland) 1966, Ward and Coppins (Gisborne) 1967, John Elliott and Neil Johns (Northland) 1969, Kerry Rout (Christchurch) 1969-70

3. Jack Nazer 1967

4. Gary Huxford (Wellington) 1967, Dick Slacke (Christchurch) 1967-68

5. Hamish McLeod (Wellington) 1967-68, Dave Mitchell (Timaru) 1967

6. Gary Huxford 1970, Trevor Eve 1970-71

7. Bob Slade (Christchurch, LHD) 1970, Malcolm Coffey (Wellington, Triumph 2000 engine) 1971-72, Robert Bartley 1972-73

8. Paul Barnard (Hawke’s Bay) 1972-73

9. Dave Goodlass (Hawke’s Bay) 1972-76. May be Barnard's

10. Paul Barnard 1975-76 (possibly his earlier car), Ross Gordon (Wellington) 1976

Plus of course the ex-Doyle Anglia Corvette: Alec Dickie 1970-72

E&OE
    Last edited by David McKinney; 06-02-2011 at 11:54 AM.