Thread: The way is used to be.

The way is used to be.

Mt Manganui wharf circuit Christmas 1966 (I think). This would probably have been the start of the feature race. Notice the close spectators and the debris in the forground. I'm sorry I can't identify any of the competitors.Name:  Scan_0004 (Large).jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  108.3 KB

Wow, stunning photo Allan! And I love the stack of 4x2 strewn out next to the track. Thanks for posting. Got any more?

Graham Vercoe in his Golden Era of NZ Motor racing has the Bay of Plenty Road Race running in 1962 on an "almost rectangular circuit near the wharf-industrial area of Mt Maunganui' and in 1963 the Bay of Plenty Premier Road race on "a 2.89 km road circuit around the Mount's wharf area."

Sorry folks, not 1966 probably 62 as I seem to recall that the circuit was two long straights and two short straights with four 90 degree right hand corners. More to follow soon. Allan

1962 and 63 Frank Matich won with a brabhym or Cooper then a Lotus 19 sports car

This one.Name:  IMG_0027 (Large).jpg
Views: 877
Size:  78.1 KBThis oneName:  IMG_0027 (Large).jpg
Views: 877
Size:  78.1 KB

Sorry about the double up. One day I'll get an eight year old to show me how to use this thing. My slide shows the Matich car as a Lotus 19. Try these two for size then.Name:  IMG_0025 (Large).jpg
Views: 852
Size:  107.8 KBName:  IMG_0026 (Large).jpg
Views: 797
Size:  102.1 KB

Allan did you not read my post ??Lotus 19 also posted same several months back about Matich and Lotus 19ect.??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Allan did you not read my post ??Lotus 19 also posted same several months back about Matich and Lotus 19ect.??
    Jum, Now your a knowlegeable chap, perhaps you can answer something that's been bothering me for years. Why did Colin Chapman number his cars in the way in which he did? I've owned a few of his cars over the years including a couple of Lotus 69's. Were these so named because they swapped ends without warning?

I look forward to your reply.

Russ

ps. Good crop of "you no what" this season. Will send you some or maybe drop it in when I'm coming past. Take care.

I'm sorry Jim I didn't see your post on the Lotus 19. When I look at the program posted by Milan I see that my photos are from the 1963 event. What interests me is that I have written on the frame of the slide that the Matich sportscar is a Lotus 19B. I do not know where that information came from for the program just calls it a Lotus. In the last two photos we can see Matich in a Brabham being followed by what looks like an early Cooper coloured white that someone my be able to identify, the second photo showing Ernie Sprague being followed by what looks like a Lotus Cortina.

Allan thats fine ,I remember the Lotus 19 it was a lovely car ,the track{road} was prety rough if my memory is correct,not a good view as we were standing on the roadside as they raced past,.Bay Park was great 80 percent was in view from the hillstand that had seats later on the seats rotted away and we sat on the blanket ,strange Bay Park was called a power track but it was the only track I couldget close to the front ,mainly because the Porsche had real good brakes,at the end of the back straight,then the righthander ,and then into the sweeper ,.the sweeper was fun at times the best was in 87 when Munts V8 Capri and I batled the whole way I passed him on the outstde in the sweeper lap after lap only to have him pass down the straight I will never forget grinning at him only a mtr apart lefthand verses righthand,him sawing away at the wheel,sadly I dont think he looked at me, so I guess I smiled to myself

Quote Originally Posted by RUSS CUNNINGHAM View Post
    Jum, Now your a knowlegeable chap, perhaps you can answer something that's been bothering me for years. Why did Colin Chapman number his cars in the way in which he did? I've owned a few of his cars over the years including a couple of Lotus 69's. Were these so named because they swapped ends without warning?

I look forward to your reply.

Russ

ps. Good crop of "you no what" this season. Will send you some or maybe drop it in when I'm coming past. Take care.
    Russ Jum I guees thats meant to be Jim ,most motorfans know Chapman was a yaughty {sailing boats} sex on boats are given no, s,so you work it out

Semi-Pro Racer
    I was reminiscing with ex Humber 80 and Mini racer Tony Gilbertson about this circuit. Apparently the circuit crossed a railway line? His memory was of going out with a bucket of hot mix before the event and smoothing out the area where the road crossed the tracks as much as possible.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Think the Cooper behind the Brabham in the photo may be Angus Hyslop? If I look real hard I think I can see that distinctive blue stripe on the nose.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Russ Jum I guees thats meant to be Jim ,most motorfans know Chapman was a yaughty {sailing boats} sex on boats are given no, s,so you work it out
    Many thanks for clarifying this for me. Most interested to hear that sex on boats is a "no, no". I didn't know this and had I known the ships cat would have never been so lucky.

Keep inhaling,

Russ

ps My friend Gareth Morgan, would like to meet you re. cats.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  Somerset-crop1u.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  136.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Levin 1964Name:  IMG_0004 (Large).jpg
Views: 782
Size:  73.4 KB
    Wow Allan, your photos are stunning! I am amazed to see a colour photo of Red Dawsons Willys coupe. I've only ever seen one colour photo of this car before.

Do you have any more of these to share Allan?