Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Castrol GTX And Production Racing Camaro's

Castrol GTX And Production Racing Camaro's

With all the interest and contributions to the thread requesting info and pics of the Paul Fahey owned Castrol GTX Camaro, Bruce Dyer kindly gave me a bunch of photos of several other Camaro's that competed in the New Zealand Castrol GTX series. In all I believe there were about 8-9 2nd generation Camaros that raced in the series during the 1975/76 and 1976/77 seasons.

But there were also several other production racing Camaro's of the era, so I figured we should put them all in one dedicated thread. I can't post up Bruce's photos until early next week, so if you guys have any pics and info you want to post, please go ahead. The more the merrier.

Camaro Photos

Here's a couple to get the ball rolling - I will add some more later

Name:  Winter Series Camaro.jpg
Views: 2464
Size:  104.2 KB

Name:  Winter Series Bunce Z28.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  111.3 KB

The first photo is of Inky Tulloch in his 70 1/2 RS Z/28. This is an early photo and the car was painted Citrus Green with Black stripes.
    I owned this car for 23 years and sold it in 2003. Ian now owns the car.
    The Bunce car is how I remember it prior to its sale to Cliff Pilling. I was offered it to buy but the engine was swaped and I believed it to be a 327 and withdrew my interest. Cliff was very disappointed after the purchase to discover that as it was not cheap. Still had the long range tank in the boot and the Corvette discs on the front. Still was a wicked machine.
    I will write more re the Tulloch car re its history soon. Cheers Bruce

This is Inky Tulloch in the car which finished a close second in the 1976 Castrol GTX championship to Art McKee's similar car. This is the car Spgeti (Bruce) owned and restored, and ultimately sold back to Inky who still has it.

Name:  tulloch camaro.jpg
Views: 2749
Size:  109.9 KB

World Champion
    Some of Kevin Thomsons pics from 76

Name:  Chev Camaro (Tulloch).jpg
Views: 2449
Size:  133.4 KB

Name:  Chev Camaro (Tulloch) 1.jpg
Views: 2215
Size:  133.5 KB

Name:  Chev Camaro (McKee).jpg
Views: 2107
Size:  141.2 KB

Name:  Chev Camaro (McKee) 1.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  160.5 KB

Name:  Chev Camaro (Haig).jpg
Views: 2131
Size:  153.0 KB

Name:  Chev Camaro (Baker).jpg
Views: 1994
Size:  138.9 KB

The Tulloch 70 1/2 Z/28

I purchased Inky's Camaro in 1979 of a QS friend, Duncan Smith from Papakura. Duncan had restored the body from its OSCA battles but the mechanicals needed to be upgraded to the original specs. The corvette discs, 12 bolt were gone and while the engine was ok it certainly was not the LT1, the M21 was poo.
    Over the years I worked my way thru this apart from the brakes. Pullman built LT1, T10 close ratio gearbox, 4.1 12 bolt posi diff, and a beautiful set of American Racing Daisy Mags, 15x7 on the front and 15x8.5 on the rear. Tony Gordan tidied up the body work and installed the new chrome work all supplied by Kevin Green from the Chevvy Shoppe.
    Over the years along with good friend Garry Price we researced the historys of the majority of the Camaros that raced in GTX plus a few others as well. Inky was most helpfull with info on the car.
    Late in 75 Ian went to LA to souce a Camaro to race. He purchased this car, a 1970 1/2 RS Z/28 from Badger ( from memory) Chevrolet and sent it to Paramount Chevrolet in LA where Kevin Haig built the car to race in NZ. This car was originally automatic and was top spec car with delux interior with woodgrain accents.
    New LT1 was built with the then optional Z/28 cam, crossram intake, M22 gearbox, 69 transam Camaro disc brake 12 bolt diff, and Corvette discs all round.
    The car first appeared at the 76 Grand Prix meet but with tuning issues and oil surge didn,t start to win untill Kevin Haig had sorted these issues out. After that it was game on and Ian,s battles with Art McKee were to be pretty heated.
    He won the 76/77 GTX championship, many long distance races and set the hillclimb record 2 years in a row on Coranet Peak. In 78 he contested in OSCA but was off the pace as the car was just to heavy.
    Whe I sold the car it was equiped with a Smoke Ram intake and I offered the Crossram to Ian but he stated that they had to much trouble tunning it so ran with the LT1 intake after 3 meetings. I sold the Crossram to a guy in Texas for $$$$ and it sit on an historic 69 Z/28 these days.
    I will think of more as the days go on but any info or corrections are welcome.
    Looking at Bruce302 Firebird the other year bought back the passion and if 10 years ago was today with what you guys are doing with HMC I probably would still own the car. Cheers, Bruce

Size:  109.9 KB[/QUOTE]

Semi-Pro Racer
    The Zephyr Heaters car is the ex Dawson car, owned at the time by Ross Cameron in Dunedin, now owned by Kelvin Towns also from Dunedin.

Yep well spotted Mark. Its hard to tell from that angle, the flares aren't so visible. Dawson sold it to business partners Allan Dick and Don Peddie who owned a car dealership together, and they had Kevin Haig drive it, and I think they even managed to convince Ken Smith to race it once. It then went on to Ross Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    I purchased Inky's Camaro in 1979 of a QS friend, Duncan Smith from Papakura. Duncan had restored the body from its OSCA battles but the mechanicals needed to be upgraded to the original specs. The corvette discs, 12 bolt were gone and while the engine was ok it certainly was not the LT1, the M21 was poo.
    Over the years I worked my way thru this apart from the brakes. Pullman built LT1, T10 close ratio gearbox, 4.1 12 bolt posi diff, and a beautiful set of American Racing Daisy Mags, 15x7 on the front and 15x8.5 on the rear. Tony Gordan tidied up the body work and installed the new chrome work all supplied by Kevin Green from the Chevvy Shoppe.
    Over the years along with good friend Garry Price we researced the historys of the majority of the Camaros that raced in GTX plus a few others as well. Inky was most helpfull with info on the car.
    Late in 75 Ian went to LA to souce a Camaro to race. He purchased this car, a 1970 1/2 RS Z/28 from Badger ( from memory) Chevrolet and sent it to Paramount Chevrolet in LA where Kevin Haig built the car to race in NZ. This car was originally automatic and was top spec car with delux interior with woodgrain accents.
    New LT1 was built with the then optional Z/28 cam, crossram intake, M22 gearbox, 69 transam Camaro disc brake 12 bolt diff, and Corvette discs all round.
    The car first appeared at the 76 Grand Prix meet but with tuning issues and oil surge didn,t start to win untill Kevin Haig had sorted these issues out. After that it was game on and Ian,s battles with Art McKee were to be pretty heated.
    He won the 76/77 GTX championship, many long distance races and set the hillclimb record 2 years in a row on Coranet Peak. In 78 he contested in OSCA but was off the pace as the car was just to heavy.
    Whe I sold the car it was equiped with a Smoke Ram intake and I offered the Crossram to Ian but he stated that they had to much trouble tunning it so ran with the LT1 intake after 3 meetings. I sold the Crossram to a guy in Texas for $$$$ and it sit on an historic 69 Z/28 these days.
    I will think of more as the days go on but any info or corrections are welcome.
    Looking at Bruce302 Firebird the other year bought back the passion and if 10 years ago was today with what you guys are doing with HMC I probably would still own the car. Cheers, Bruce

Size:  109.9 KB
    [/QUOTE]

Fantastic description there Bruce, thanks for this.

Out of interest, where is Art McKees third car as pictured above?

The Crown Court Car, Art McKee's 75/76 winning car was sold to Doug Allen for the 76/77 season, painted Black and then dissapeared in 1978. I believe it is in the Hawkes Bay area now.
    The photo above is the Tulloch Camaro when it was first bought into the country. The car was then repainted in Red and Gold with the USA coloured # 1 on it.

I remember mooching around the car yards back in the day, and on the front row at Monaco Motors in Greenlane were two black Camaros, both supposedly race cars. I can't recall who they had been raced by but more than likely they were GTX/production cast offs It would have been around 1978. Maybe one was the McKee/Allen car.

You would most likely be correct, one of them certainly would have been the Richards/ Bunce car as it was in Auckland after the 77 season until 1982 or there about driving around the street. Colour Black with silver stripes ....
    Did you test drive them Bruce ?

I seem to recall that Richards was mentioned in connection with one of the cars. Unfortunately I didn't get to drive either of those.
    There was a nice LS-6 4 speed Chevelle lurking near the back. I did take that for a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    You would most likely be correct, one of them certainly would have been the Richards/ Bunce car as it was in Auckland after the 77 season until 1982 or there about driving around the street. Colour Black with silver stripes ....
    Did you test drive them Bruce ?

I take it you stayed in a different cops patch

The black Arbuckles car, that Lawerence Bruce raced in OSCA; I guess that had/has origins in the Castrol GTX series too?

Southern motorway. LS 6, 450 hp 454, 100 mph at 4200 rpm, and still smooth as butter.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    I take it you stayed in a different cops patch

Was this at 4.30 am just to clean the carbs out-no road side BP to get gas if it drank too much on acceleration. Lumpy cam, smooth as butter-sounds like an oxymoron. ( the previous mentioned cop was both of these-yes?)

Quote Originally Posted by nzboss View Post
    The black Arbuckles car, that Lawerence Bruce raced in OSCA; I guess that had/has origins in the Castrol GTX series too?
    I believe that was the ex Dawson Camaro. At the 82 Grandprix meeting he ran that car but was a sad old girl by then, firewall cut back to move the engine. Cheers, Bruce

No lumpy cam in the LS-6, it's only 1 hp per cube.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Was this at 4.30 am just to clean the carbs out-no road side BP to get gas if it drank too much on acceleration. Lumpy cam, smooth as butter-sounds like an oxymoron. ( the previous mentioned cop was both of these-yes?)

I recently found these on my computer, Castrol GTX racing Camaro's. Kicking off here is Art McKee's championship winning car from the 1976 season.

Name:  mckee camaro.jpg
Views: 3136
Size:  153.4 KB