SPR Models
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 1970's Mawer Mag Wheels - Torana pattern

  1. #1
    Weekend Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Wanganui
    Posts
    10

    1970's Mawer Mag Wheels - Torana pattern

    Hi,

    For those of you that remember quite a few racers in the 70's in Australia used Mawer Wheels, Peter Brock, Colin Bond, Allan Moffat.

    I have a set that were from a Torana. They may not be good for a race car but if someone is building a period correct race car replica they would be great.

    I have two 14 x 9.5" Rims and two 14 x 8" ones. I also had a set of 7" wide outer rims made by ROH to fit the Mawer centres and I use them on the front and the 8's on the back of my car. The 9.5's are just to wide for a non-flared Torana.

    Any offers considered as I now have another set of rims in mind for my Torana.

  2. #2
    Wow, really cool! I assume when you say they're Torana stud pattern, they're L34 Torana? They were massively popular in the early and mid-70s, and appeared on everything from club racers to the factory XA Falcon hardtops that won Bathurst in 1973.

  3. #3
    Weekend Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Wanganui
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, really cool! I assume when you say they're Torana stud pattern, they're L34 Torana? They were massively popular in the early and mid-70s, and appeared on everything from club racers to the factory XA Falcon hardtops that won Bathurst in 1973.
    Yes Steve, I do mean normal Torana pattern and not the A9X pattern. Yes they were very popular, all the big names in Aussie touring car history used them...Moffat, Bond, Brock, Johnson etc etc.

    Someone must want them, but I don't really want to put them on Trade Me at the moment.

  4. #4
    Weekend Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Invercargill New Zealand
    Posts
    23

    what a shame :(

    What a shame they're not HQ / L34 stud pattern or would have been in !

  5. #5
    Weekend Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Wanganui
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by xu1nut View Post
    What a shame they're not HQ / L34 stud pattern or would have been in !
    You are a tease!

  6. #6
    Hi,
    I know this is going back a few years- do you still have these wheels?
    I have a LJ XU1- 308 in Historic Sports Sedans - has BMW 17 inch, I want something more period.
    regards,
    John.

  7. #7
    Hi ,
    Checked with the guy who built the car- turns out that it has HQ stud pattern, not LJ....sorry about this

  8. #8
    Weekend Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Wanganui
    Posts
    10
    No worries at all.

  9. #9
    Weekend Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Invercargill New Zealand
    Posts
    23
    Are you still looking for a cheap LC/LJ project ? , l've been cleaning out the shed and l have a 1970 gtr that l bought for a spare shell while l was racing that is next to go . Rolling shell with tags , seats , glass etc but no motor and box .

  10. #10
    Weekend Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Wanganui
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by xu1nut View Post
    Are you still looking for a cheap LC/LJ project ? , l've been cleaning out the shed and l have a 1970 gtr that l bought for a spare shell while l was racing that is next to go . Rolling shell with tags , seats , glass etc but no motor and box .
    Hi John.
    How are things going? Could you send me some pictures? scott.giltrap@clear.net.nz
    cheers
    Scott.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •