Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cal Rayborn 1970 Harley Davidson XR750

That's pretty accurate. John Stein is a racer who has competed several times at the Pukekohe classic festival, so has had the opportunity to speak to some of those involved, unlike the American journo Dean Adams who has had several pot shots at Pukekohe and NZ over the years, without ever doing much in the way of informed research. To return loosely to the theme of this thread, Scott Brelsford was recently interviewed about the incident by Adams, and his recollection of that day at Pukekohe was that he felt bad Rayborn was faced with riding the Suzuki under these circumstances, and felt inclined to offer Rayborn the ride on Brelsford's factory XR-TT Harley, which was scheduled to take part in the series, but in fact it was three weeks later at the series' fourth round at Ruapuna by the time the bike was unloaded and cleared customs, so this was never any more than a forlorn, time-distorted wish. Again, very sad.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Why would you do that ? The bike was built in Adelaide, based around a set of Sportster cases in a featherbed frame. It has never been to the US, is not a factory bike and has never been raced : built as a tribute by the late Bob Jolly for Grey Chandler who has lamented for years that he didn't hang on to it.
    Do you actually know when it was built up for Grey Chandler? We are really trying to work out what sort of money this bike is worth, I suspect the current owner has a slightly overblown idea of its value, but any clues would be a huge help.

I suspect late-1980s, but am having a poke round. There's an article on the build in an old issue of Classic Racer mag, but finding it could be another matter...

One thing I am not wrong about though, is in this article they state that Rayborn hit the guardrail. There was no guardrail near Champion at Pukekohe at the time of his accident, there was white wooden fences on both sides of the track, and the steel guardrails were not installed until the late `80s as a result of John Osbornes RX7 Sports Sedan accident where a part of the timber fence went through the floor of his car.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    I suspect late-1980s, but am having a poke round. There's an article on the build in an old issue of Classic Racer mag, but finding it could be another matter...
    Thanks for your help

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought Geoff Perry and Alan Woolfs son John were both killed in the same plane crash.
    Steve, John Woolf and Grant Whitaker were unfortunately killed in a collision with a hunters 4 wheel drive that they meet on a blind crest in a rally in States, the hunters were also killed. This was a tragic accident and took two promising, charming young fellows from us (the NZ motorsport family)

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    References say Geoff Perry killed in plane crash not on a bike. I was a huge fan of his at the time and remember the news at the time. Check with Steve Holmes, he did a painting of him.
    Wow, I'm impressed! How did you know that? Indeed I did do a painting of Geoff Perry for a guy to give to his son for his 21st birthday. The son's name is Perry, named after Geoff Perry.

Name:  sh012l[1].jpeg
Views: 1926
Size:  31.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ElCoyote View Post
    I will look through the album there is sure to be some of that day. I was with a group in the grandstand who saw the accident but realised the marshalls were unsighted so we leapt the fence trying to attract some reaction but with Cal prostrate he was basically invisible to them. Sadly while we attended to him the worst happened. He was a definite star to be. I spoke at length to him prior to the meeting and did take some photos of the bike so I will dig deep this week-end
    It did say in the paper Cal hit some drums fill of water with his head,you say you went over the fence to help him did you see any drums at that part of the track.As for Geoff Perry my understanding is the plane he went down in the water, was so deep they could not get to them so thats where he rests today, if this is so very sad for his mum and dad not to get there son back.There is one of Geoff Perrys bikes at Len Southwards.

Cal slid backwards into the barrier in a sitting position and then bounced back out onto the track. There were some water-filled drums there, but they were further on, on the far side of the elbow, up against the stables. Poor Neville Landrebe met his fate when he crashed his Yamaha and hit them in 1970.

Let's put the record straight. The XR750 tt was built by Myself with the help of Bob Jolly and Peter Taylor[ machinist ]. It was built with the approval of Harley Davidson Race Manager,Dick O'Brien. Who,by the way wished he could have used a similar frame, but was constrained by the regulations of the day. Thankfully we had a original XR750 to copy. This was on loan from Team Obsolete to be restored and was done by me along with building the my bike. This endeavor took 5 years and won the approval of Ron Alexander,Cal Rayborns chief engineer. We did a couple of sessions at Mallala where i rode it as well as Murray Johnson and Bob Jolly. All up a good bike all round and would easily run to 8000 + rpm . This was a mammoth project and would not have been possible without the talents of both Bob and Peter and the engine and gear box parts from Team Obsolete. We did the heads in house.That is another story !!! We took the factory bike to Phillip Island but it suffered catastrophic cam bearing failure. Hope this sorts out all the bullshit. cheers,Gray Chandler.

World Champion
    Thank you, Gray, I gave Gill, the owner, your details and I believe he has been in touch with you.

Regards

Sean

Wow ! Great to hear from you Gray, Sean will be stoked to have this sorted out. As I alluded to, I could not find the Classic Racer article about the two bikes, I suspect it would have been the work of Hamish Cooper. I do recall seeing somewhere that you wished you'd hung onto it : any idea where the bike ended up ? And do you have any pics you could share ?
    Regards GD

Gray, that would have to Bob Jolly of Sports Sedan (Commodore) fame I take it you talk about.

A different Jolly, although Bob did have a occasional drive in Bob Andersons triumph GT6. cheers.

Amazing 2 the same name, and it is not common, well maybe it is.