Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Roaring Season Questionnaire: Please Read And Reply

The Roaring Season Questionnaire: Please Read And Reply

I started The Roaring Season 20 months ago in early 2011, as a place I could write articles for enjoyment, and keep in touch with fellow car enthusiast friends. It started as a hobby, and one in which I controlled and could work around my other commitments. In the 20 months since it began, the site has grown at pace, and become much larger than I imagined it would in such a short space of time. Like a living creature, its taken on a life and character, and personality of its own, and its fascinating for me to see it evolve. I love opening the site each morning to see what has been posted the night before.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  124.4 KB

The knowledge that is on the site, through the members who all contribute something special, just amazes me. Everyone here, whether through filling in the gaps, sharing their knowledge, or even asking questions, help, or advise, all play a role in making this site what it is, a large and enjoyable motorsport community. I’ve been privileged to have been offered some fascinating photo collections, mostly amateur, some professional, and each telling its own amazing story.

Name:  Clark pits 4.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  104.9 KB

This is a website, and, more importantly, a community I’m proud to be a part of. However, its also a website which is taking up more and more of my time, its taking a toll on my ability to earn money through working on my business, and its taking a toll on my energy. Since I began The Roaring Season 20 months ago, I’ve spent thousands of hours working on it, and thousands of dollars. Each morning I spend at least a couple of hours here, working through recent posts to make sure everyone is behaving, working on articles, and working on photo collections, both resizing images, and researching where I can the stories each image tells. I have to analyze every new member who joins, to decipher if they’re genuine, or a hoax just trying to use the site to sell unrelated advertising. I pay a web developer each month to check through all the files to make sure there have been no attempts to hack the site, and clean up corrupt files that shouldn’t be here. In the very near future I’m going to have to invest in making the site mobile, so when travelling, I can keep a constant watch on it.

Name:  Begg FM2's.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  154.5 KB

Basically, I’m spending so much time working in the site, I’m not working on the site. I want for it to be fascinating, for there to be acres of reading material for people to enjoy, and increasing photo collections. But the number of articles I’m able to write is slipping, because I can’t commit the time to them anymore.

Essentially, for me to spend more time on The Roaring Season, to grow the site and offer more of interest to my fellow enthusiasts, it needs to be earning money. And its not. And as a result, I’m becoming increasingly frustrated that its nowhere near as good as I want it to be, because I need to go off and earn a living. I have bills to pay. Eventually, as the site grows, advertisers may come on board, but right now, I’m spending large amounts of time each month on something that doesn’t even pay its own running costs, let alone my time.

Name:  51.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  80.1 KB

Recently, it was suggested to me by a few people on here the idea of members and visitors (there are approx. 10 times the number of non-members who visit the site each month to actual registered members) paying a donation. Although I appreciate the gesture, that thought just didn’t sit right with me, as this site is not a charity.

However, other than being an online community, The Roaring Season is essentially an online magazine. It features articles, photo collections, event previews and reviews, in addition to having a very lively and interesting discussion forum. And so, as is the case with any magazine, my thoughts of late to grow The Roaring Season as I’d like to see it grow, would be to charge a small annual subscription, just as any magazine would.

Name:  Amon Ferrari 246T.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  165.7 KB

As I’ve let this idea grow in my mind, so it feels like the right direction for the site. My thoughts are that each person wishing to gain full access to the site, the articles, photo collections, discussion forum etc, would pay an annual subscription of NZ$45 (which works out at NZ0.86 cents per week). As the average time spent on the site each time they visit (and for some its several times a day) is 7 min: 12sec this seems like a pretty good bang for buck. However, I’m wary that people may resent being asked to pay for what they currently get for free. But, with money coming in from subscriptions, the amount of time I could spend on the site, on photo collections, and on articles, could greatly increase. Furthermore, I could also pay other journalists around the world to submit articles, be they historical, event reviews, or other, so subscribers could enjoy a far more diverse an interesting website. The content would greatly increase, as would the quality of what will be on offer, to make this altogether a more fascinating place, but without losing its all-important community feel.

However, I’d also like your feedback on this. To take the site to the next level, you’re going to be the people who help make this happen. So I’d like to know what you think of paying an annual subscription. Is NZ$45 too much to pay, or too little? Is the thought of asking you to pay anything at all an insult? If you had the choice of the site being shut down tomorrow, or pay NZ$45, which would you prefer?

Name:  31.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  72.5 KB

I’d really like to get as much feedback, good or bad, about this as possible. To make any step in this direction would be high risk without first hearing from those affected by it. Please let me know your thoughts, either by replying in this thread, or emailing me personally: theroaringseason@gmail.com I want to know what you think, good or bad.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Cheers
    Steve Holmes

Steve

You are not alone, your challenge is that faced by most online media. Most I wouldn't bother with if they put up a paywall but the ever improving quality of this site is such that I would happily pay the suggested $45 / year for full access. The only caveat would be that if it meant losing so many of the fine contributors you have then much of the value goes, but hopefully that wouldn't be the case.

Lindsay

Steve,
    I have been talked into joining this site, and some times feel that I am a dinasor in regards to what the current scene is all about, but I would be more than happy to pay your suggested fee to keep it going.
    Cheers Dave.

Hi Steve, I'd happily pay around the $50.00 mark to have access to the site. I agree with Lyndsay's comment above re contributors staying on board would be vital.

Cheers, Richard.

World Champion
    Steve......$45 is only a couple of packets of fags for goodness sake!!!!

As I have now sold the Amco Mini, I will be resigning from a couple of car clubs I currently belong to, and will quite happily invest that money in the roaring season, as I get MUCH more value out of it than any club can offer.........

Weekend Warrior
    Steve .........$45 is not a lot to pay for the enjoyment my family gets from this web site and we are only too happy to help invest in The roaring season .......My two children( 12 & 14 ) are learning about the golden years of motorsport
    cheers Adrian

Steve, to me this give more value than my current car club, to which the yearly fee is $90.00. I would gladly pay a membership fee for access to this fantastic site and for you to be able to earn a living from it.
    Cheers, Bruce

Hello Steve. I have no problem with paying a fee to have access to the wonderful comments, anecdotes and photos that appear on this site. I have recommended this site to a few of my friends because there is more interesting information here than in any of the books published about NZ motorsport over the years, and I mean no disrespect to those like Graham Vercoe (whose Historic Racing Cars of New Zealand is one of my favourite books) in saying this.
    I belong to other forum type sites that ask for a donation before allowing posts or access to certain parts of the site and I also have no problem with that. Your site is a credit to you and the interesting characters who abound here and like myself have had an interest and occasional dabble at the sport. My interest goes back to the very early sixties. Keep up the good work and come on fellas, let's keep this thing going and growing.
    Regards,
    Allan

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Steve, I think $45 is money well spent, I would easily spend more on car magazines that I buy as they have one article I'm interested in. I get alot more enjoyment from reading the info posted here than any other motorsport related forum. After all most of the pictures and stories posted our about our wee country's motorsport history, its a log of fact's and details that are of huge benefit for not only todays members but for years to come.
    Regards,
    Mark

Steve, now you`re talking. To all you people out there, $45 is peanuts for what`s on offer. Steves commitment to this website is equalled by his efforts for our Historic Muscle Car class, and his time and effort, not to mention the enjoyment it brings, can`t really be measured in dollar terms. I suggest that Steve posts a bank account number for us to pay into by say the 20th March, so his efforts are rewarded, rather than overlooked.

Steve Elliott.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Steve - $45 is fine. I donate about $100 a year to various websites, because they are a hub of knowledge and photos. It's also enjoyable to be able to browse material that others know what you're talking about - espec out here in the wilds of WA.
    Paypal is good.
    John Liddle

Semi-Pro Racer
    I'd be happy to pay (and I'm not even in NZ )

Excellent value to keep this site alive. Like Steve and probably everyone else, it is the first "news" I check early each morning.

Journeyman Racer
    Steve, wonderful site, I check it every morning and evening. Such a wealth of information available to all of us. Quite happy to pay
    to belong.
    Beowulf

$45.00 ? No problem. Most interesting motorsport site by far without the bitchiness of most others.

Wow, this is absolutely awesome guys! Really great feedback, and really good information to know. Please keep the feedback coming, I really want to hear from as many people as possible, including members and visitors. Please feel free to email me if you don't want to post your comments here.

Just so you all know, if this goes ahead, there will be plenty of warning, and you'll get a taste for what the future holds with an increase in the number of articles being posted as it ramps up. I don't want anyone to think you'd just suddenly be paying for what you currently get for free. The site will be a lot more interesting.

The key is getting the annual subscription rate as low as possible so that its easily affordable for everyone, but also generating enough funds to help propel the site on to better things, to make it a more enjoyable experience for everyone here.

Thanks again everyone, keep the feedback coming.

Hi Steve,

I would be more than happy to pay $45 pa to be able to access this site and the amazing information that it continues to turn up. Let us know when and how to pay up.

Just look at the photos at the start of this thread.

Cheers Mike
    Last edited by kiwi285; 02-05-2013 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Steve......$45 is only a couple of packets of fags for goodness sake!!!!

As I have now sold the Amco Mini, I will be resigning from a couple of car clubs I currently belong to, and will quite happily invest that money in the roaring season, as I get MUCH more value out of it than any club can offer.........
    Hi Gerald, sent you a PM Cheers Mike

Count me in Steve, if only to see amco in new Mustang{only a rumor so far}

What David Mck, said.