Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Ian Peak Collection - Part 1

43 Kerry Grant and this would have been 1964 i believe going by the year book.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 02-13-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Rod, I was only going by what was written in the original scrapbook that they came in.

You can only go on what you have cobber, but believe it is actually Kerry Grant.
    You got a good scrapbook Steve, magic photos. Those 2 Cortinas of Mclean and Phillips were pretty similar, and did same little tricks.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes, 43 Kerry Grant
    And 107 Paul Fahey

Lots of folk right or wrong have said that the Southward car was the GT that was raced earlier that year. It raced in the series with a 1650 pushrod as it was stated that this engine from Willment had more power than the L/C Twincam.
    Was this car the first fake Lotus Cortina in the world?

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    These are the last of the Timaru shots.

Attachment 16057

Attachment 16056

Attachment 16058
    What and who is the purple people eater

[QUOTE=GPBK;24244]
    Visitors to this years Denny Hulme Festival at Hampton Downs would have seen this car at the Historic Muscle Cars display area, the Barry Phillips Lotus Cortina.

Actually this is Bruce McLean in his Cortina 1600 ( not a Lotus ) painted Team colours. Normally it would be numbered 87. Very well prepared and driven car by Bruce that boxed above it's weight.
    Thanks for clearing this up.

With the Spinner Black HK Monaro having recently been found, the only big banger NZ racing sedan from the late '60s/early '70s era still MIA is the Clyde Collins PDL Falcon, which I believe was destroyed after being converted back to a road car. Here is Clyde in the Falcon, hauling the mustard, being chased by Rod Coppins in the Camaro. At a guess I'd say this is possibly a round of the South Island Mercury $1,000 series?

Name:  Clyde Collins, Coppins.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  86.4 KB

Spinner Black in the Lexington Camaro, being harassed by Gary Sprague in the ex-Dave Simpson/Frank Radisich breadvan Anglia.

Name:  Coppins & Sprague.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  112.8 KB

Great shot here of Coppins leading Fahey and Dawson, but for me the real interest in this photo is with the amazing temporary grandstands lining the circuit. These folks have certainly come prepared!

Name:  Coppins Camaro.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  117.2 KB

Probably from the same race, but with Collins and John Riley just getting into the frame. Again, look at those temporary grandstands! I absolutely love them. Note the dump truck with its tipper up, somehow lined with seats which are then angled correctly to that of the upright tipper, then with an awning over top to keep the sun out. Fantastic!

Name:  Coppins,Dawson, Fahey, Collins.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  122.2 KB

Weekend Warrior
    [QUOTE=GPBK;24244]
    Visitors to this years Denny Hulme Festival at Hampton Downs would have seen this car at the Historic Muscle Cars display area, the Barry Phillips Lotus Cortina.

Actually this is Bruce McLean in his Cortina 1600 ( not a Lotus ) painted Team colours. Normally it would be numbered 87. Very well prepared and driven car by Bruce that boxed above it's weight.
    Thanks for the pic GPBK and the compliment. I am obviously biased but I think my dad drove pretty bloody good and prepared all of his cars himself. I haven't seen any pics of my dads cortina without number 87 on it. I think the car in pic 46 is his lotus cortina but could be wrong because I wouldn't have been very old at that stage. Apologies if I am wrong but he did have a lotus cortina at some stage.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    GPBK, I`ve sent a PM to Bruces` son Steve (macpac) as he was looking for photos of his dad a while back. No doubt he`ll be along shortly.....
    Thanks again Steve for the PM which I have replied to.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    Steve, This is another from your collection. Bruce McLean in the Cortina, Jack Nazer, Rod Coppins and Ernie Sprague at the dogleg at Pukekohe. What year would this be ?

A great crowd on the infield.

Thanks for the awesome pic of my dads cortina Bruce302. That's another number I'm not familiar with. Cheers Steve McLean.

Weekend Warrior
    Many people thought Clyde Collins' A40 Allcomer was Lotus twin-cam powered, but this wasn't the case, as this engine bay shot shows.

Attachment 16070
    This car is also at Teretonga this weekend for the Classic Speedfest

Weekend Warrior
    Probably from the same race, but with Collins and John Riley just getting into the frame. Again, look at those temporary grandstands! I absolutely love them. Note the dump truck with its tipper up, somehow lined with seats which are then angled correctly to that of the upright tipper, then with an awning over top to keep the sun out. Fantastic!

Name:  Coppins,Dawson, Fahey, Collins.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  122.2 KB
    You can still see something very similar for the big meetings at Teretonga these days, such as the NZ V8 meeting last month.

Im think it was the 1963 perhaps 64 ? season, & pretty certain the mk 3 raced there only once, the same weekend Bruce had the cooper S ??.

Journeyman Racer
    i recognised that 43 as being Kerry grant in the Willment Lotus cortina and 107 is Fahey

Some more tin-top action. Shown here is the Clyde Collins A40 Farina, but is this Clyde at the wheel? Clyde used to race as #62, whereas his brother Warner raced as #61. Clyde sold the A40 to Warner after the 1967 season, so perhaps this is Warner???

Name:  Clyde Collins.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  Coppins, Collins.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  80.5 KB

OK, this is the final photo for this part. I'll start on Part 2 in the next few weeks. Does anyone want to attempt naming all these drivers?

Name:  Peter Kocis, ex Sprague Anglia.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  131.9 KB