Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul Fahey

Amazing - Fahey, Riley and Dawson were at it even in single seaters as well as saloons.

[QUOTE=Milan Fistonic;24822]While Fahey is quite rightly known as one of our best tin-top drivers we shouldn't forget that he started his motor sport career on bikes...[QUOTE]

True Milan, he rode on the Continental Circus with a best result of a fifth in the 1956 Dutch TT at Assen.

Journeyman Racer
    I remember at Levin, Dawson raced the two cars the same day! In fact one of my photos on this site has a pit shot of the Brabham and the Stang side by side. Maybe Fahey did the same ie race two on the same day?

Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    I remember at Levin, Dawson raced the two cars the same day! In fact one of my photos on this site has a pit shot of the Brabham and the Stang side by side. Maybe Fahey did the same ie race two on the same day?
    You're right, Fahey raced the Lotus Cortina and the Cooper at that meeting.

Here is a piece of Paul's Cologne Capri from a 1974 Bay Park meeting. The tyre mark is pure Pontiac, This piece of fibreglass was wedged in the Firebird bumper at the end of the race. Reportedly Paul wasn't happy but a young Tanner girl had a souvenir.
    Sorry Paul.

Bruce- that Burnt orange colour under the black tyre looks very familiar- its either Bunce Monaro or Tanner Firebird .
    Its the latter and a fine souvineer. People have been known to rebuild an authentic car from pieces like this. I will tell the Fahey girl down the road about this.
    Good strong Muscle Car withstands impact from smaller car during race.
    I must get some m/m mags for this race.

John, It looks like the red is under the blue and white, but it could do with further inspection. Not sure if the car was ever red before Paul got it, or even if it was a gel coat.

Bruce- Paul got the car from Germany , a genuine ex-works Cologne Capri.
    So your saying the colour has not rubbed from the Firebird, but I am sure RSRODGER could tell you of its European colours.
    First time out was Air NZ colours, then this white/blue- no red/orange in either..

Fahey Capri

First time out was Air NZ colours, then this white/blue- no red/orange in either..[/QUOTE]

Name:  Fahey Capri Baypark 73.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  Fahey Capri Puke 1974.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  141.3 KB

Mr Tanner had the car in red, so think thats where the red came from, was in pits after and remember a few rumblings about a couple of incidents back then. Alot of postering and finger pointing and some ones parentage was bought into conversation at some stage. Think it may have come from Capri back right corner and lodged in Firebird front left from Harmans Corner attempt.

Gee you forget these little bits until some one brings them up, thats what is so good about this place, history is being bought out from sleep.

PS. Brilliant photos Ross

Who remembers this race?

Just shows that a top class driver can produce the results no matter what car you put him in. Second place and fastest lap despite "body contact" with Allan Woolf at the hairpin.

Name:  Datsun Race 1975.JPG
Views: 1270
Size:  76.8 KB

Not sure if this is before or after the "body contact" but it could explain the fastest lap.

Name:  Datsun Race 1975 Pic.JPG
Views: 1301
Size:  56.2 KB

I was there!

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    Who remembers this race?

Just shows that a top class driver can produce the results no matter what car you put him in. Second place and fastest lap despite "body contact" with Allan Woolf at the hairpin.

Name:  Datsun Race 1975.JPG
Views: 1270
Size:  76.8 KB

Not sure if this is before or after the "body contact" but it could explain the fastest lap.

Name:  Datsun Race 1975 Pic.JPG
Views: 1301
Size:  56.2 KB
    Wow, that is cool! Was this just a one-off?

Quote Originally Posted by BMCBOY View Post
    First time out was Air NZ colours, then this white/blue- no red/orange in either..

Name:  Fahey Capri Baypark 73.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  Fahey Capri Puke 1974.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  141.3 KB[/QUOTE]

Beautiful photos Ross! That one of it lifting the inside wheel through the chicane is typical pose for the RS2600s. Just really spectacular cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    Here is a piece of Paul's Cologne Capri from a 1974 Bay Park meeting. The tyre mark is pure Pontiac, This piece of fibreglass was wedged in the Firebird bumper at the end of the race. Reportedly Paul wasn't happy but a young Tanner girl had a souvenir.
    Sorry Paul.

That is amazing Bruce! Does he still have it or is this an old photo? I can't figure out what the red is through. These cars were just painted white when racing in the ETCC, and as Ross pointed out earlier, it was white when Fahey first shipped it to NZ. I wonder if its got something to do with the fibreglass resin?

Absolutely damaged from rubbing against the Firebird - same red colour in pics from 1975 Grand Prix, black is of course from tyres.
    Anyone got a pic of this Baypark incident.?
    Steve H - this is actual piece, which Robin gave to Bruce.

Ahhh, thanks John. Nice souvenir Bruce!

Was there another 180B race? I am sure I saw Wayne Jones and Reg Cook as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    Was there another 180B race? I am sure I saw Wayne Jones and Reg Cook as well..

There were three races - 12 drivers and six cars

Race 1

car 1 - George Wilson - Grid 1 - 5th
    car 2 - Leo Leonard - Grid 6 - 3rd
    car 3 - Alan Woolf - Grid 5 - 6th
    car 4 - Paul Fahey - Grid 3 - 2nd
    car 5 - Rod Coppins - Grid 2 4th
    car 6 - Dennis Marwood - Grid 4 - 1st

Race 2

car 1 - Wayne Jones - Grid 3 - 3rd
    car 2 - Jim Richards - Grid 6 - 2nd
    car 3 - Red Dawson - Grid 1 - 6th