Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HMC Supporters Queensland Trip.

Cool HMC Supporters Queensland Trip.

With at least 8, possibly 10, HMC competitors taking our muscle cars to Queensland, to race at Queensland Raceway on the 21 - 23 June and Lakeside Park on the 19 - 21 July, I am going to price out a `supporters trip' for the first round at QR on the 21 - 23 June, as this meeting is called the `Shannons Two Days of Thunder' and is going to be quite a big deal. I realise that several members aren`t up for paying an annual sub for the Roaring Season, so this probably isn`t for them. With the interest HMC created at the Denny Hulme Festival, I believe it`s possible to get a group of 20 - 30 people together to experience a similar V8 event on the other side of the ditch. I`ll have some more info later this week, so what are your thoughts?

Hi Steve,

Would like to find out what the costs might be. Do we know what other classes will be on the program being a Shannons sponsored event ?

Mike, I`ll get Dale to scan and post the promo poster for the event which tells you whats racing.

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  140.1 KB

Shannon's Two Days of Thunder
    June 22nd - 23rd, 2013

GATES OPEN: 8:00AM
    ON TRACK: FROM 8:30AM

Saturday: Adult $20, Children 12 and under: FREE
    Sunday: Adult $30, Children 12 and under: FREE
    Weekend: Adult $40, Children 12 and under: FREE

For all the info you need on Shannons Two Days of Thunder , read through the info below. Any questions about feel free to give us a call on 1800 RACERS or drop us an email to events@qldraceways.com.au
    Classes
    Group N Historic Touring Cars
    QLD V8's
    Trans Am
    Cobra/GT40
    Porsche Invitational
    Porsche Sprints
    LW Sports Sedans
    Muscle Car Sprint
    S/C Regularity

Show and Shine

Shannons Muscle car trophy List:
    Porsche Invitational Race Class B 1st 2nd 3rd (race Trophies) for smaller cars
    Best GT Falcon 4 door
    Best Falcon Coupe
    Best Camaro
    Best Mustang Coupe
    Best Mustang Fastback
    Best Mustang Convertible
    Best Torana
    Best 4 door Muscle car
    Best Ute
    Best Modified Muscle car.
    Best Muscle car (Other)
    Best Replica (GT40/Cobra)

Overview

The event will feature Historic Touring Cars, big American V8's, Trans-Am Race cars as well as the roar of V8 Muscle Cars. Jim Richards, 7 times Bathurst winner, will demonstrate his driving skills and sign autographs throughout the weekend.
    With track highlights including Black Trucks/Tranzmile Historic Group N, Cobra & GT40's, there will be plenty to get your pulse racing. And the fun doesn't stop there...

The event will boast a relaxed 'access all areas' atmosphere allowing families and enthusiasts arare chance to see some of the world's most exciting cars up close.

Shannon's Show and Shine will bring some of the country's most prestigious cars to South EastQueensland.

Richard Rawcliffe, Media Officer stated, "this is one of the most exciting weekends on our
    calendar, there are no flimsy little cars, only big, loud and fast cars, driven by guys not afraid drive a car hard when the situation demands it."
    Last edited by nigel watts; 02-10-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks for posting Nigel.

I've been to this event several times including last year, not as big as the Festival or the Muscle Car Masters but still well worth the trip and also a great time of the year to be in Queensland weather wise!! I've only been to Lakeside for a car show were Shane Wilson(70 Mustang TA) drove me around the track, very tight and short, sorta reminds me of old Taupo before the additions, still a very "Historic" race track and it'll be fun to compete there.

Dale M

Thats a bloody great idea Steve!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Would have thought that this one would have been the better event to take a tour to.
    Name:  Lakeside Classic 2.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  144.8 KB

More chance of the Bowdens Family running a couple of their cars at this meeting (Hint Hint Dan Bowden)
    Willowbank is as boring as bats..t to watch cars on. No character ! Like 4 dragstrips joined with corners.
    Last edited by TonyG; 02-11-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Tony, there are several reasons we have opted for the trip for the first round at Queensland Raceway, with a few things behind the scenes. To say it is as boring as bats.... when was the last Trans Tasman Muscle Car challenge you watched there?. As the meetings are some 3 weeks apart people can still come back for seconds, but our trip is primarily to fit in with what the Aussies are organising for us.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Tony, there are several reasons we have opted for the trip for the first round at Queensland Raceway, with a few things behind the scenes. To say it is as boring as bats.... when was the last Trans Tasman Muscle Car challenge you watched there?. As the meetings are some 3 weeks apart people can still come back for seconds, but our trip is primarily to fit in with what the Aussies are organising for us.
    Fair enough re what has been organised for you! Makes sense.
    Personal preference re the tracks I guess. I know of about 20 expats and families that are passing on Willowbank, Trans Tasman or No Trans Tasman yet are all geared up to go to Lakeside to see the same Trans Am/HMC cars run.
    The extra draw of seeing the Gp A and Gp C cars is the common denominator in all discussions we have had.

Hey, amazing I live 40 minutes from " Lakeside at Kurwongbah " on Bribie Island, so will be there. Shannons have a display at present at North Lakes again about 40 minutes away with a 1964 Mustang notchback in race trim and a 1967 fastback. look forward to seeing the Kiwi cars as a local of 4 years in Aus and 60 years in NZ.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Fair enough re what has been organised for you! Makes sense.
    Personal preference re the tracks I guess. I know of about 20 expats and families that are passing on Willowbank, Trans Tasman or No Trans Tasman yet are all geared up to go to Lakeside to see the same Trans Am/HMC cars run.
    The extra draw of seeing the Gp A and Gp C cars is the common denominator in all discussions we have had.
    All I can say to that Tony is they musn't be real Petrol Heads (like me then), because to me racing is racing no matter what track it's on and it's all great to watch.
    QR is a little basic as a race track but the Trans Am cars have always put on a good show their and had some great battles. I would go and watch them race at the local shopping centre car park if necessary.
    Isn't it meant to be about the enjoyment and support? After all the guy's from NZ are spending there hard earned to come across and put on a show so they deserve to be supported (at both events).
    In my opinion anyway.
    Last edited by macpac; 02-12-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Exactly Steve. I have spoken to mates of mine from Melbourne and NSW and they are going regardless of which track it`s at. What people have realised is NEVER has a group this size of `period correct' big bangers from NZ gone to race in Aussie at the same time. Our cars are more akin to what used to race both here and in Aussie some 40 years ago, and Shannons are obviously aware of this, and it`ll be a pretty special occassion to be part of.
    Last edited by fullnoise68; 02-13-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Fair comments from both Steves but I guess it also comes down to the individuals financial situations and to whether they can afford to attend both meetings.
    I for one would need to ditch her indoors and the kids to be able to attend both.
    For some of us, money only stretches so far no matter how much we want to do things or attend events but it doesn't mean we are not petrolheads at heart.
    Anyway, enough said and I too look forward to seeing you all at Lakeside when the time comes.
    Cheers
    Tony

I hear what you're saying Tony about QR. Its come under a lot of criticism since first opening for its lack of character, from both drivers and race fans. I only learned recently why it lacks character, and the original plans were for it to be a far more interesting circuit. Lakeside, on the other hand, has bags of character, and is incredibly historic. Its still a really great little track.

But from what the Aussie Trans-Am guys tell me, just for the spectator and car enthusiast, the QR event overall should be a bit more interesting. And, I'm sure the Trans-Am and HMC cars will be able to provide the character that the QR track layout lacks with a bit of sideways action and entertaining racing.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Fair comments from both Steves but I guess it also comes down to the individuals financial situations and to whether they can afford to attend both meetings.
    I for one would need to ditch her indoors and the kids to be able to attend both.
    For some of us, money only stretches so far no matter how much we want to do things or attend events but it doesn't mean we are not petrolheads at heart.
    Anyway, enough said and I too look forward to seeing you all at Lakeside when the time comes.
    Cheers
    Tony
    Sorry Tony I didn't mean to give you both barrels and do understand where you are coming from. I guess if my finances were limited and I had to make a choice I would probably pick Lakeside as well. They will both be excellent race meetings especially with all of the Kiwi cars there as well. The guy that owns Shannon's is very impressed with the Trans Am class hence a little support from them.

The class is going from strength to strength with quite a number of cars under construction, my Camaro included. There will eventually be around 30 cars running. Cheers Steve McLean.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Exactly Steve. I have spoken to mates of mine from Melbourne and NSW and they are going regardless of which track it`s at. What people have realised is NEVER has a group this size of `period correct' big bangers from NZ gone to race in Aussie at the same time. Our cars are more akin to what used to race both here and in Aussie some 40 years ago, and Shannons are obviously aware of this, and it`ll be a pretty special occassion to be part of.
    Hey Steve is Craig Stacey bringing his Javelin across?

When asked for entries, I saw his hand go up.

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    When asked for entries, I saw his hand go up.
    Thanks John. I met him and Shona when they came over and stayed with John English and also again at the Eatern Creek Muscle Car Masters. Lovely people but of course aren't all of us Kiwi's????? Even us expats.

Yes Steve, the `wildman' from out west is in.