Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HMC Supporters Queensland Trip.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    If I had a choice I would prefer to go to the meeting where we could see the Bowden collection in its entirety.
    That could be difficult although Steve did mention they are working on a tour of the collection.

Bowdens don't traditionally have multiple cars at the Shannons Thunder meets and as per the Gold Coast V8 meetings the logistics of displaying /running the cars with transport/insurance and god knows what else, have limited them to maybe 3 or 4 at a time - Lakeside 2011 I got to see and photograph, Moffstang, Tru Blu, and Beechey Munro but when they are present a few others appear as well like the Thompson Camaro and the Geogheghan Stang, 2 x Johnson XC Coupes etc which are owned by other collectors.

I guess the Bowden Collection participation will depend on whether they are actually asked by the organizers in time to prepare the cars. They were left out last year until a week before Lakeside when it became obvious the attendance numbers were going to be down with no "Old School Name Driver" cars on display. By then it was too shorter time frame and they had made commitments elsewhere.
    Organisers were getting peppered with questions for months on social media by people asking what cars would be on display in 2012 and the answer was always the same - we are working on it. Didn't happen, so I hope they hae been in contact with Dan early this time. Dan, are you out there ?

Tony, at the moment we have a tour of the Bowden collection booked for the Tuesday after Lakeside. Once my travel agent mate gets back to work tomorrow - he`s been on breavement leave - he`ll get his costings finished and we`ll go from there. With getting planning for the two events underway earlier this year, Shannons and the QR Management are well aware of the publicity and promotion of a `Trans Tasman Muscle Car/ Big Banger Challenge' and no doubt Shannons will get some of the Bowdens cars involved for display if they can. My understanding from talking to one of the organisers last week is that things like having Allan Moffat with his ( Bowdens)Mustang at one of the meetings for photos/autographs is just one of the things they may try to put together because of his Aussie/NZ racing involvement in that car. By all accounts they are both going to be big meetings.......
    Last edited by fullnoise68; 02-23-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Cheers Steve.
    I have heard from Dan today and up till this morning they have had no talks or approaches from anyone about having their cars at either meeting. He hopes they hurry up as to quote him, "They really dropped the ball last year by leaving it till the last week to ask them to come", and they do take time to prepare.
    Talk Paul Fahey into coming over for a drive in his old car.lol. I would be waiting at the gate at dawn for that. I keep drooling over the pictures on the Bowdens Own site of his old car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    A fantastic Poster organised by Steve Elliott. Dale M
    This is an awesome poster! When was the photo taken?

On the Thursday afternoon before the second weekend Steve. Terry Marshall and Alex Mitchell were doing a photo portfolio for Gulf Oil taking the photos from the back of a ute.

Thanks Steve, it looks bloody great!

For those that may be interested: With what the Aussies are organising for the 8 HMC guys that are taking our cars over to Queensland, it has became apparent that as a supporters trip should be based on the best value for money, so we have priced out a trip for the second round at Lakeside in July, as there is more scope to do a few other things around that event. Based on 20 people travelling, including airfares ex Auckland, hotel transfers, 4 nights accommodation twin share rooms with breakfast each day, bus travel to/from races each day, 3 days general admission tickets, plus 2 HMC t shirts per person, the cost will be approx $1375 per person. This is based on arriving in Queensland Thursday afternoon and coming home Monday night. I have organised a tour of the Bowdens Car Collection on the Tuesday, but the numbers are limited and most of the HMC guys and their group will be keen to see these cars, so some may choose to want to stay an extra night to include this ( at extra cost). The Lakeside event includes Group A and Group C cars and this will be a pretty big event. I have only tried to put this deal together for those that may be keen to support us, and if you are, email me at vmt@xtra.co.nz to register your interest. I need to have an indication of numbers by March 28th, with a $500.00 deposit per person paid by April 10th. Not only are they Historic Muscle Cars, this will also be an Historic trip!
    The eight HMC cars going are: Dale Mathers - Boss Mustang, Nigel MacDonald - Mustang Fastback, Pete Stevenson - Mustang Fastback, Dean Cameron - Mustang Fastback, Craig Stacey - AMC Javelin, Murray Brown - Chev Camaro, Kevin Gimblett - Chev Camaro, Steve Elliott - Chev Camaro.
    Last edited by fullnoise68; 03-08-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Great work Steve, you're doing an awesome job.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Awesome. Looking forward to seeing you all.

Hi Steve, I see that the main tour is due to Depart Brisbane on Monday evening, but the Bowdens tour to set down for Tuesday. Ant idea at the extra cost to stay another day to see that facility ?

Cheers Mike

It`ll depend on numbers Mike, but probably about another $180 NZD to cover another night, bus, Bowdens, etc. I got your email yesterday, and I`ll have a better idea closer to the deadline.

Poster format not quite finished!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I will definitely be looking forward to you guys coming over and competing at both QR & Lakeside... I need a few more motor sport photos!!! :-) Might even bring out my XWGT for a few laps in the "Sprints" so could be a couple of big weekends.

As for the comments about the two tracks... both will be challenging for all, but all will enjoy Lakeside more... it is a real driver's circuit and has so much character.

Can't wait until you get here.

Paul

Thanks to Nigel Watts for his time and effort - not to mention the photos! - in compiling these for our posters we`re getting done to giveaway at the two events.

Just so you know what you are up against, here is a shot I took a couple of years ago. Will try to put up some more recent images later.

Name:  ACT9526_a_resize.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  154.1 KB

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by superroo69 View Post
    Just so you know what you are up against, here is a shot I took a couple of years ago. Will try to put up some more recent images later.

Name:  ACT9526_a_resize.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  154.1 KB
    This was taken late 2012 and is some of what you are up against. Sorry about the quality.
    Name:  001 (14).jpg
Views: 418
Size:  135.6 KB

To the Kiwi contingent. I know it's a bit early but just a note to wish all you guys taking your cars over all the best for the two weekends. Lakeside is certainly a challenging track with it's off camber sections particularly the carousel. Just wish I could be there but someone has to stay behind and keep the wheels of industry turning!!LOL. Plus the home executive requires my presence also. So take care you guys and again all the very best.

Cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Thanks to Nigel Watts for his time and effort - not to mention the photos! - in compiling these for our posters we`re getting done to giveaway at the two events.
    Can you save me a poster please? I have fair collection of motoring memorabilia and as I can't get over to support you, at least i can add a poster to the collection!

Have a great time and I hope that all cars all come back in good mechanical and body order.

Good luck other there guys. . show them kiwis can flyName:  Craig Stacey.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  107.3 KBName:  Dale Mathers.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  83.3 KBName:  Dean Cameron.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  104.9 KBName:  Kevin Gimblett.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  115.0 KB