Thread: new memberwith a vintage race car needing some history verification.

new memberwith a vintage race car needing some history verification.

I'm a new member as of this morning.Gary Barnes is my name. I am a vintage road-racer and have been doing so for the last 20 years.I am looking to find some history/pics on a car that I have owned for the last 11years. Its a 68 Mustang notchback that ran in the GrandTouring division of Nascar in 68 and 69 with Al Straub(Louisville,Ky.) as the driver......traded hands around 1970 ...went to California with Wes Dawn as owner/driver and participated in one T/A race....April 12th,1970 at LagunaSeca.History becomes lost afterwards......possibly went to Carl Haas in trade....then to Christopher Crowe(1971?) ..........then to Norman Mosher(?).......... History then becomes clear in 1973 with MikeGaffney(Illinois) purchasing the car........Any pics /old race programs ......etc are welcome. Contact Gary Barnes/Maryland 410-218-5992cell or email..gpbarnesracing@yahoo.com

Hi there Gary, welcome to the site. Your Mustang has a fascinating history! Usually cars go from the Trans-Am to the Grand Touring, not the other way around, as many of the ovals on the GT trail were pretty brutal. So its interesting your car emerged from Grand Touring to then race in Trans-Am. Do you have any period photos?

Hi, The Wes Dawn you mention, was he the moviemake-up man that also made the cannonball spoof movies. Also went to the UK and drove Atlantic cars