Thread: Photos: The Ian Peak Collection - The Begg's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    Just a minor point. "John" Barnard should read "Paul" Barnard. For some years Paul was Service Manager at John Dyke Ford Tauranga but then he bought a "Mitre 10" at Mt Maunganui. I have not seen or heard of him for many years. Someone who lives in the BOP may like to track him down and find out what happened to the Begg. I think from memory it won at least 2 Gold Star H/C championships with Paul and Ford Twin Cam power. I also seem to recollect Paul had a humungus crash at a hillclimb and that the car was pretty much broken in 2 and subsequently "written off".
    Thanks for the correction RF84, I'm from Tauranga and knew Paul so just a silly senior moment on my part. Senior moment now called MCI up here - Minor Cognitive Impairment (for anyone else who needs an excuse....).
    I heard that the car had been restored but I'll do some research to confirm or otherwise.

Semi-Pro Racer
    It went from Barney to Steve Grant for FF in the early '80s. I believe it has recently been rebuilt by Ian Bisman and Noel Atley