Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Ian Peak Collection - The Begg's

Photos: The Ian Peak Collection - The Begg's

Name:  Begg FM2's.jpg
Views: 3070
Size:  154.7 KB

I felt this fantastic little collection of photos by Ian Peak deserved its own thread. Former New Zealand motorbike racer George Begg built a series of race cars from his engineering workshop in Drummond, just north of Invercargill. 18 cars carried the Begg name, starting with the little 650 in 1963, and concluding with the 018 F5000 in 1974.

Begg returned to New Zealand from the UK in early 1957 with wife Freda, who he'd just recently wed, after having met on the Isle of Man. He'd quit racing in 1956 after his best friend Bob Cook, who Begg had travelled to the UK with, lost his life at Aintree. Eventually he set up a small engineering company in Drummond on a farm his father and brother worked. His little company, G. N. Begg, Engineer, became inundated with work after he'd invented a device that could clamp hold a sheep, and flip it on its back so the farmer could rid its feet of footrot.

By 1963, and with business booming, Begg was looking for a hobby when he stumbled upon a book called "Racing and Sports Car Chassis Design", by Michael Costin and David Phipps, and inspired, set out to build his first race car.

With Teretonga being just down the road in Invercargill, this was Begg's local race track, and the place most of his race cars would debut, after their customary blast up and down 'Drummond Straight', the road outside his engineering business. Although not every Begg is pictured here, a good number are, and certainly enough to warrant their own thread.

Here is one of Begg's earliest cars, the 1500, which was built and supplied as a kit for Keith McFadzien who completed it, as pictured.

Name:  Begg 1500 Keith McFadzien.jpg
Views: 2475
Size:  100.3 KB

Here is the Begg Daimler, another space-frame car powered by a Daimler SP250 motor, supposedly supplied by Lawrence Brownlie. Lindsay Tosh raced the car from its first appearance in late 1967, until around 1969.

I'm not entirely sure where this photo was taken. Is this possibly the start of a hillclimb or timed sprint? Just looks more like a public road than a race track from this angle.

Name:  Daimler Begg. Lindsay Tosh.jpg
Views: 2494
Size:  106.2 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    That could be at the back of the circuit at Teretonga, we used a old enterence road there as a bent sprint through a gate around and back, the trick was to get back through the gate, as more than one car didn't make it! I am certain its at the track, with the trees and the loupins in the back ground
    Roger

Thanks Roger, that certainly makes sense.

This one is just superb! In the pits, the Begg Sports awaits its turn to hit the track, as George Begg gives driver Barry Keen a pep-talk. Note the amazing safety barriers separating the cars charging down the track at full noise and those in the pits!

Name:  Begg Sports 1967.jpg
Views: 2606
Size:  167.5 KB

A worthy thread indeed Steve. The lead pic at the top is the brace of Begg FM2s of Pierre Phillips #24 and Geoff Mardon #39, Teretonga round of the 1970 Tasman series.

Great thread - Begg created some great cars. The paddock full of British cars belonging to the spectators is pretty nostalgic too.

Quite simply George Begg is a legend.

Car # 70 in post 6 is the first Begg 1600, Colin Bunce in gold helmet with Bryan Taylor.
    I could be wrong but I think George fabricated the wheels of the sports car in his workshop! steel not alloy!
    Last edited by Kwaussie; 02-11-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    Car # 70 in post 6 is the first Begg 1600, Colin Bunce in gold helmet with Bryan Taylor.
    I could be wrong but I think George fabricated the wheels of the sports car in his workshop! steel not alloy!
    Re the Begg 1600, was that the Hillman powered car? If so, it was later converted to Formula Ford specs and owned by Warwick Binning (Levin) then by John Pirovano followed by myself. John Barnard aquired the Begg for hillclimbing, I lost track of it since then.

That is correct. Dr Dave Bruton was the first driver of this car first raced in 1965. Wally Wilmott is your man to fill in the latest details.

In Motorman June 1968 page 39 shows Brian Clay in his 120 EN special rolling after hitting Keith McFadzien Begg Ford 1500 Puke Elbow March 17.Begg has 73 on the side-like the yellow car above.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Ellwood View Post
    Re the Begg 1600, was that the Hillman powered car? If so, it was later converted to Formula Ford specs and owned by Warwick Binning (Levin) then by John Pirovano followed by myself. John Barnard aquired the Begg for hillclimbing, I lost track of it since then.
    That's right, it was raced with Rootes power in the early days by Russell Thompson and then bought and raced by Ian Bisman. Ian then sold it and bought the mono Begg Twin Cam, also from Russell Thompson. Ian has since bought the Humber Begg back, now in Formula Ford spec. Incidentally I think Ian still has the tub from the Begg mono also.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The Begg Daimler in post #3 originally did one or two Teretonga club meetings powered by the 283 Chev, wheels were the fabricated steel items in the pic, but car was raced sans the side panels of the bodywork, giving spectators a view of Barry Keen shifting gears etc, according to the Begg book the SP250 motor came from a wrecked car at Tuatapere, but Laurence Brownlie may well have supplied that as he had earlier raced an SP250. The photo is with the cars in the pits on the main straight, no pit wall etc was in place then, no rollcages, use the same overalls that you worked in during the week, pinch the old mans fire extinguisher, heck i remember a guy from gore that fronted up with a rental car once, got all the way thru tech etc before someone noticed the different rego sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Noble View Post
    That's right, it was raced with Rootes power in the early days by Russell Thompson and then bought and raced by Ian Bisman. Ian then sold it and bought the mono Begg Twin Cam, also from Russell Thompson. Ian has since bought the Humber Begg back, now in Formula Ford spec. Incidentally I think Ian still has the tub from the Begg mono also.
    I possibly still have the 10 inches (approx) of rear chassis I cut off to "modernise" the car back in the 70s (Ian B, don't shoot me).
    Originally the spaceframe ended behind the rear axles. I once shared Feo Stanton's garage with George Begg and David Oxton at a Baypark meeting, I think they were swapping an engine and I was replacing a broken axle on my car. George kept giving me withering looks and muttering about the f ----g wanker who had messed with his Begg.

Both Ian Bisman and Russell Thompson were at Ruapuna for Skope. I know Ian but had never met Russell before - he's a feisty bugger but had some great stories. I wrote a 'booklet' called something like 'George Begg - The Man and his Cars' for the Begg Spectacular at Teretonga in Feb 2007 - Russell has pointing out something he'd read somewhere where the author had got something wrong...

Russell lives in Canada and seemingly has done for some time - he also told me how Chris Amon had tried to help him get work in the UK in the 70s.

I'm leaving for Teretonga on Thursday - hard to believe it is 6 years since the big Begg do that Noel Atley put so much effort into. Donald 'the voice of Teretonga' McDonald and I were MCs and we interviewed George before an audience of 424. George said to me the next day 'I think that went all right last night...'

'All right!! - George you were on fire'. He sort of looked off into the distance and said, qiestly, 'Yeah'

He died in the April - dear old George.

Thanks for that post Michael, I really enjoyed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Ellwood View Post
    I possibly still have the 10 inches (approx) of rear chassis I cut off to "modernise" the car back in the 70s (Ian B, don't shoot me).
    Originally the spaceframe ended behind the rear axles. I once shared Feo Stanton's garage with George Begg and David Oxton at a Baypark meeting, I think they were swapping an engine and I was replacing a broken axle on my car. George kept giving me withering looks and muttering about the f ----g wanker who had messed with his Begg.
    Ha ha ha, that is brilliant Grant!

The engine room of the Begg Twin-Cam.

Name:  Begg twincam rear.jpg
Views: 2200
Size:  164.7 KB