Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Ian Peak Collection - The Begg's

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Ellwood View Post
    Re the Begg 1600, was that the Hillman powered car? If so, it was later converted to Formula Ford specs and owned by Warwick Binning (Levin) then by John Pirovano followed by myself. John Barnard aquired the Begg for hillclimbing, I lost track of it since then.
    Just a minor point. "John" Barnard should read "Paul" Barnard. For some years Paul was Service Manager at John Dyke Ford Tauranga but then he bought a "Mitre 10" at Mt Maunganui. I have not seen or heard of him for many years. Someone who lives in the BOP may like to track him down and find out what happened to the Begg. I think from memory it won at least 2 Gold Star H/C championships with Paul and Ford Twin Cam power. I also seem to recollect Paul had a humungus crash at a hillclimb and that the car was pretty much broken in 2 and subsequently "written off".

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    Just a minor point. "John" Barnard should read "Paul" Barnard. For some years Paul was Service Manager at John Dyke Ford Tauranga but then he bought a "Mitre 10" at Mt Maunganui. I have not seen or heard of him for many years. Someone who lives in the BOP may like to track him down and find out what happened to the Begg. I think from memory it won at least 2 Gold Star H/C championships with Paul and Ford Twin Cam power. I also seem to recollect Paul had a humungus crash at a hillclimb and that the car was pretty much broken in 2 and subsequently "written off".
    Thanks for the correction RF84, I'm from Tauranga and knew Paul so just a silly senior moment on my part. Senior moment now called MCI up here - Minor Cognitive Impairment (for anyone else who needs an excuse....).
    I heard that the car had been restored but I'll do some research to confirm or otherwise.

Semi-Pro Racer
    It went from Barney to Steve Grant for FF in the early '80s. I believe it has recently been rebuilt by Ian Bisman and Noel Atley

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Ha ha ha, that is brilliant Grant!
    Thanks Steve, David Oxton found it hard to keep a straight face too. I think I got a less than honorable mention in one of George's books also.

And thanks David McKinney for reminding me that Ian Bisman has the car, I had noticed that in Russ Noble's post #14 and promptly forgot it...

Barry Keen and the McBegg, a car built around various components collected by George during a stint working for McLaren (earning $52 a week) in 1968. Is that Begg crouching down next to the car on right of picture?

Name:  McBegg Barry Keen.jpg
Views: 1953
Size:  129.4 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Brian Taylor[ Taylortune]- grey overalls, Brian ? Nicholl in white, pretty sure its George, Casey Jones hats were 'team ' attire!

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Barry Keen and the McBegg, a car built around various components collected by George during a stint working for McLaren (earning $52 a week) in 1968. Is that Begg crouching down next to the car on right of picture?

Name:  McBegg Barry Keen.jpg
Views: 1953
Size:  129.4 KB
    and not long finished a rebuild in Invercargill. It was in the paddock at Teretonga today and is scheduled to demonstrate at the Classic Speedfest there this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Brian Taylor[ Taylortune]- grey overalls, Brian ? Nicholl in white, pretty sure its George, Casey Jones hats were 'team ' attire!
    Thanks Jac.

Begg's first foray into Formula 5000, with the Begg FM2, of which two cars were built. Begg was joined by Fred McLean, hence the 'FM' designation. I believe a twin-cam powered car was the first in which McLean was involved (FM1), but was this car ever completed?

Graham McRae borrowed the first FM2 to race at Pukekohe and Bay Park in late 1969. Geoff Mardon then took over this car, while a second car was constructed for Pierre Phillips to drive.

Looking closely, the two cars differ slightly to each other. I believe the first car is that on the right?

Name:  Begg FM2's.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  154.7 KB

My favourite of all the Begg race cars, the FM5. This is the second of the FM5's, which Allan McCully built up from the spare tub, and which featured a slightly longer wheelbase and different shaped air box.

Name:  Allan McCully.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  96.3 KB

Also my favourite!

Here's another shot of the Baker car at Pukekohe.

Name:  Graham Baker Begg FM5.JPG
Views: 1889
Size:  76.6 KB

Stunning photo Milan! Thanks for posting. Just take a look at that bodywork. All hand beaten from alloy. A real work of art, with no sign of any straight lines. I believe Robin Officer was responsible for the bodywork? He lives in the US now, does work for Jay Leno, among others.

David Oxton in the first FM5 built, and the only FM5 built up at the Begg workshop. Started out painted yellow, as with previous Begg's, but was changed to black in an effort to change the teams bad luck suffered when racing in the UK. This car has been in the Southward Car Museum for many years.

Name:  David Oxton.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  92.9 KB

The Morand Chevy that powered Oxton's FM5. Did this motor end up in Wayne Huxfords Capri Sports Sedan?

Name:  Oxton FM5.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  112.9 KB

Apparently yes, although it is likely it was a bit like George Washington's axe in the later days - possibly only the rocker covers left of the original.

It is a neat looking car Steve, this was at 2012 Nov Lady Wigram.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Rod, are those two 'Shell' panels for downforce or as wind deflectors over the front wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbanger View Post
    Apparently yes, although it is likely it was a bit like George Washington's axe in the later days - possibly only the rocker covers left of the original.
    Yeah good point. I think he used this motor for the first several years of racing the car, before then having an all new 6 litre unit built. So I doubt there is any part of this motor still on the car.

Here is Keen charging hard in the McBegg at Teretonga, with Jim Boyd chasing hard in the Stanton Corvette. Check out the fantastic spectator arrangements in the background. And how did that old Ford Consul not get clouted by a gyrating race car?

Name:  '69 McBegg. Stanton Corvette.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  138.6 KB