Thread: Tony Shelly Jaguar Mk2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tony Shelly Jaguar Mk2

If the person RF84 looking at the car can supply car number engine number it won't be to difficult to check a variety of items.
    As to the Tony Shelly and Ray Archibald MKII being "stock" standard maybe the rules called for it but I have records of a couple of very specially prepared cars being supplied to Archibald in the early 1960's so maybe the car he ran wasn't so stock standard.
    I would be very keen to get further details on this MKII presumably it will have the NZ logbook listing all the old owners?
    terry

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Yes it was stock standard as the rules dictate.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by terry mcgrath View Post
    As to the Tony Shelly and Ray Archibald MKII being "stock" standard maybe the rules called for it but I have records of a couple of very specially prepared cars being supplied to Archibald in the early 1960's so maybe the car he ran wasn't so stock standard
    Ray Archibald raced I think two different Mk2s with Shelly in the Pukekohe long-distance race for standard production cars, and I think another two in open saloon racing over the years

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Ray Archibald raced I think two different Mk2s with Shelly in the Pukekohe long-distance race for standard production cars, and I think another two in open saloon racing over the years
    Result of a bit of research on Archibald's Mk2 Jaguars:
    •The car he raced in championship events in 1962 was registered 683 459
    •The car he raced in championship events in 1963 and 1964 was registered 806 720
    •The car he raced in in the October 1963 Wills 6hr was registered 477 248
    •The car he raced in in the October 1966 Wills 6hr would have had permanent plates, so can’t be linked to any of the earlier cars. However, as a Jaguar dealer, he is unlikely to have raced a car that was at least three years old

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Result of a bit of research on Archibald's Mk2 Jaguars:
    •The car he raced in championship events in 1962 was registered 683 459
    •The car he raced in championship events in 1963 and 1964 was registered 806 720
    •The car he raced in in the October 1963 Wills 6hr was registered 477 248
    •The car he raced in in the October 1966 Wills 6hr would have had permanent plates, so can’t be linked to any of the earlier cars. However, as a Jaguar dealer, he is unlikely to have raced a car that was at least three years old
    On the cover Motorman November 1966 car no 3 in the rain he has AD74

And to add as said before at the 83 Ardmore reuion at Puke the way he passed in one pass DennisMarwood then me and Angus Hyslop on the 2nd lap up the back straight not only was it a full D Type but by the sound he had supercharged it as well, to his great credit I have never seen anyone bring back a Mk2 from spinning as he did in the hairpin,the three of us were side by side then the lighter Lotus Cortina was faster getting away followed by Ray,he then went on to win as he liked