Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Shelly Jaguar Mk2

Semi-Pro Racer

Tony Shelly Jaguar Mk2

A friend of mine has been offered what is reputed to be an ex Tony Shelly 3.8 Jaguar. It is supposed to have competed in the 1963 Wills 6 Hour race. The details as told to me are that it is one of a limited number of Mark 2 Jags produced in England with a Raymond Mays cylinder head, triple SU carbs, "Webasto" sun roof and overdrive on first, second and third gears. It is painted a light metallic blue.
    Anyone know of such model Mk2 Jags being produced? Does anyone recollect Shelly having/racing such a car? It has been suggested it may have been a Ray Archibald car that Tony co-drove.

World Champion
    Jim, one for you!!!!!

May be so but sounds like a Toosy Tarley to me ,The Archibald has 2 2inch carbsand that car is well known

Semi-Pro Racer
    I don't think Mays could have improved the Jag head design.
    Roger

In all my experience with Jaguars I have never heard of a Raymond Mays head for same. Ford Zephyrs yes, but Jaguars no. It is nearly impossible to fit 3 carbs to a mark 2 without cutting the inner guard. The Wills race was for standard cars and the black Mk2 that Archibald raced had to be returned to stndard to compete there. I refitted the D cams and 2'' SUs for the new owner whilst at Galt Motors. The overdrives are borderline for the torque on a Jaquar motor in top let alone using it in a lower gear.

Forty years,no fortyfive years ago Henry Phillips had a car in his Toyworld on Lake Rd. Rotorua,that fitted that descripton{not the head} Bob Moore I think may have tested it out.I was stiil in orr of these exciting cars after driving Veloxs and Crestas, Henry was a strong Jaguar man and set up the Jag club that was the best in NZ ,those Easter Rallys,cars came from all over ,at one Sibal and Lionel Lupp {Archer} had their Rolls there and when the gymkahana was over the Rolls had a go at the fast event {prob. frowned on today},he would have been 3rd if it counted,not often you see a new Rolls flat out around a grass feild!!

Semi-Pro Racer
    See Wills 6Hr thread. The results show that Tony Shelly and Ray Archibald won the 1963 Wills 6 hr race in a 1963 3.8 Jag

Yes it was stock standard as the rules dictate.

Tony Shelly Jaguar Mk2

If the person RF84 looking at the car can supply car number engine number it won't be to difficult to check a variety of items.
    As to the Tony Shelly and Ray Archibald MKII being "stock" standard maybe the rules called for it but I have records of a couple of very specially prepared cars being supplied to Archibald in the early 1960's so maybe the car he ran wasn't so stock standard.
    I would be very keen to get further details on this MKII presumably it will have the NZ logbook listing all the old owners?
    terry

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Yes it was stock standard as the rules dictate.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by terry mcgrath View Post
    As to the Tony Shelly and Ray Archibald MKII being "stock" standard maybe the rules called for it but I have records of a couple of very specially prepared cars being supplied to Archibald in the early 1960's so maybe the car he ran wasn't so stock standard
    Ray Archibald raced I think two different Mk2s with Shelly in the Pukekohe long-distance race for standard production cars, and I think another two in open saloon racing over the years

Tony Shelly

An ad from 67 6 hour programme.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6 hour results

From 67 6 hour programme.

67 6 hour programme

Part 2

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Ray Archibald raced I think two different Mk2s with Shelly in the Pukekohe long-distance race for standard production cars, and I think another two in open saloon racing over the years
    Result of a bit of research on Archibald's Mk2 Jaguars:
    •The car he raced in championship events in 1962 was registered 683 459
    •The car he raced in championship events in 1963 and 1964 was registered 806 720
    •The car he raced in in the October 1963 Wills 6hr was registered 477 248
    •The car he raced in in the October 1966 Wills 6hr would have had permanent plates, so can’t be linked to any of the earlier cars. However, as a Jaguar dealer, he is unlikely to have raced a car that was at least three years old

Slightly OT, but when we had to change the colour of plates (each second year??) did we retain the same number?

He told me many years ago he sold the car?? then when he brought it back the plate had changed,

A few years ago I was having a Jag engine built by one of the ex-Archibald mechanics who was involved with their race cars in period. He told me that the engine in one of their Mk2 cars was essentially a D Type engine. I can't recollect which car it was but I think it could have been one of Wills six-hour cars.
    Last edited by RogerH; 03-12-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Result of a bit of research on Archibald's Mk2 Jaguars:
    •The car he raced in championship events in 1962 was registered 683 459
    •The car he raced in championship events in 1963 and 1964 was registered 806 720
    •The car he raced in in the October 1963 Wills 6hr was registered 477 248
    •The car he raced in in the October 1966 Wills 6hr would have had permanent plates, so can’t be linked to any of the earlier cars. However, as a Jaguar dealer, he is unlikely to have raced a car that was at least three years old
    On the cover Motorman November 1966 car no 3 in the rain he has AD74

And to add as said before at the 83 Ardmore reuion at Puke the way he passed in one pass DennisMarwood then me and Angus Hyslop on the 2nd lap up the back straight not only was it a full D Type but by the sound he had supercharged it as well, to his great credit I have never seen anyone bring back a Mk2 from spinning as he did in the hairpin,the three of us were side by side then the lighter Lotus Cortina was faster getting away followed by Ray,he then went on to win as he liked