Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tony Shelly Jaguar Mk2

The Jaguar that Archibald and Sprague drove in the 1965 Wills race was registered AQ 5800.

Archibald wrote to Brian Watson in 1995 describing the 3.8 he used to win the championship in 1962 and 1963. It would seem from David's post that two different cars were used in those years but this is what Archibald wrote.

I won the New Zealand Saloon Car Championship in 62 and 63. I still have the 3.8 MK2 which took part in the above races and my son David drives it in some of the classic races and wings and wheels events at Wigram etc. It has never had a dent ever which is a good record. It was especially built at the Jaguar factory for me and had the same specifications as the cars they built for the European Saloon Car Championship (gas flowed head, modified exhaust, close ratio gear-box, modified suspension, 2 inch carbs, modified air flow to the carbs, 9 to 1 compression ratio, battery in the boot, special brake discs and pads, high ratio steering, stiffer shocks, strengthened body mounts, racing seats, special crankshaft and bearings).

hi just further to the archibald disscusion,ihad brought a1958-59 mk1 3.4 wire wheels disc brakes woodrim steering wheel[factory], bucket seats [akin to series 1 e type] from Allan Dick ,with intentions of restoring it. it was involved in a major flood and i became uninterested in it and on sold it to Ray Larsen who belive still owns it. Ray did race it ,had a photo but long gone. open for disscusion\photo info. dave do you know any history, i was told it was a special build x factory
    Kind regards,
    Gwyn

This Mk 1 of Ray's seems to have slipped off the radar, but yes he did race one before the silver Mk2. It was maroon and I remember seeing it being loaded on to the Lyttelton ferry in one of those rope net things they used to load cars on to the ship back then. But I could not confirm its the one Ray has, but from its specs it sounds like it.
    Cheers Dave

Can anybody shed light on what happened to these Mk2s, I know AQ5800 is now in the UK, CT1666 ( ex Sprague ) is in the South Island, would be nice to know if any others are still around.
    Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    Can anybody shed light on what happened to these Mk2s, I know AQ5800 is now in the UK, CT1666 ( ex Sprague ) is in the South Island, would be nice to know if any others are still around.
    Cheers
    Steve
    We own CT1666 now. If anyone has any photos of it racing could you post or send them to me?
    Thanks Steve