Quote Originally Posted by Frosty5 View Post
The picture of the Volvo shows Randell Edgell under the bonnet checking the alternator. The guy on the jack was ex F1 spanner man for Williams (Wayne Eckersley) one tough Aussie I can tell you, no beg your pardons with that guy and me standing behind the pit wall under the drivers names. We had air jacks but for some reason they were not used. The pits in those days were more akin to sheep pens and there was no 40kph limit in pit lane. The lane marked for entry and exit to and from the pits was classed as part of the race track and one had to be wide awake when cars were travelling down the pit road. The race could have been very interesting but for the sake of a $2 diode and the subsequent damage to the radiator. It was a great car and Robbie pedalled it well along with John Bowe. It was affectionately known as the "Flying Brick" or in Dick Johnsons words the "Swedish Taxi". He just didn't like it, probably because it blew him away at Symmons Plains during the '85 ATCC.
Really great insight there. This must have been a race to be filed under 'the one that got away' for you guys? You needed one less fuel stop than the Jag's who struck trouble towards the end, but your pace was really competitive.

The Volvo 240T Group A racer was a car that tended to polarize opinion. I always loved them. So were an unlikely race car, but incredibly fast. The Eggenberger 240T's trounced everyone in 1985 in the ETCC.