Quote Originally Posted by jimdigris View Post

And now a hypothetical question. What would have Group A racing been in Europe if Brock had the hindsight to homologate a sporting evolution VH Commodore to compete in the 1983 ETC? Assuming the follow on model VK was also homolated in 1984, how would this have affected the 1985 Nissan Sport series at Wellington & Pukekohe in late January 1985, and the ATTC in 1985? One can only wonder what if. geeze I wish I had a time machine
This is a great hypothetical question. Indeed, the VK Group A was competitive in Europe when it raced there in 1986, and that was really from just a single year racing the Commodore in Group A, and the new-found problems having parts homologated for Group A. The Commodore always seemed to be about 12 months behind where it really needed to be at most times, ie, the Group A VK that first appeared in 1986, needed to have been racing in 1985 etc, as that package would have been competitive in 1985. But it was quite impressive what was achieved in the time-frame. To my mind, 1987 and beyond was a no-win situation for any V8, as European manufacturers began ramping up their efforts with their homologation specials to take full advantage of the rules which favoured small capacity cars. But the Commodore could have stamped its mark on Group A up to 1986 much greater than it did had it been given a larger head-start than it had.