Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Bruce Wells Collection - Warwick Farm - Part 2

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Beechey and Anderson

Attachment 16245

Attachment 16244
    The half of a 'Humpy" that is leading the Cusso would be Des West.
    Dale.

Nice piece in Evo a few years back where Tom Chilton drove six different touring car legends including the Galaxie

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/featur...cc_heroes.html

‘I can’t believe they used to let these things race! It feels like you’re only doing 10mph in the corners, but as soon as you squeeze the throttle that huge boot comes round. It’s like you’re floating on air – you don’t get any feel for what’s happening at track level. In my race car you feel every stone chip on the ground, but in this you could run over a boulder and not know about it. And it wanders about on the straight too.’

Hey, thats a great article, really enjoyable. I guess for Chilton, its all about what he is used to. For the guys who raced the Galaxie's and Falcons in the '60s, a modern Super Tourer would feel pretty bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Harvey View Post
    The half of a 'Humpy" that is leading the Cusso would be Des West.
    Dale.
    Thanks Dale.

Neptune Racing team mates, Norm Beechey and Jim McKeown.

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  99.5 KB

Beechey again. What a superb shot as he belts the Mustang through the Warwick Farm infield.

The second shot looks to be Pete Geoghegans Cortina GT. But is this Pete driving? His brother Leo also raced this car on occasion.

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  126.1 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    No, that would be George Garth. The next owner and still the owner (after Geoghegans). Great shot.

Dale.

Thanks Dale, thats great info. So did George buy Geoghegans Cortina GT, as opposed to his Lotus Cortina? I always just assumed he'd bought the Lotus Cortina.

Here is Peter Manton, giving the Cooper S and absolute flogging, as he tries to stay ahead of Beechey.

Name:  23.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  24.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  103.5 KB

This appears to be Rocky Tresise in the Cooper, but who are the drivers giving chase?

And can anyone ID the driver of the FX Holden?

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  120.2 KB

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  113.0 KB

Journeyman Racer
    That could well be Sir Gawaine Baillie in the Galaxie.....or 'Davo', perhaps?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks Dale, thats great info. So did George buy Geoghegans Cortina GT, as opposed to his Lotus Cortina? I always just assumed he'd bought the Lotus Cortina.
    George bought the GT. He raced it for a fair while in that form and then cut a lot of weight out of it and installed a Twincam, bigger brakes and bigger wheels. Still painted black.
    Dale.

Semi-Pro Racer
    And can anyone ID the driver of the FX Holden?

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  113.0 KB[/QUOTE]

FJ ......and we think it is John Hall
    Always well presented
    Last edited by Ellis; 02-22-2013 at 03:56 AM.

Thanks Ellis, I'd actually just stopped looking at the grills for some reason, as they almost all seemed to be FX Holdens by the mid-60s. I should have taken more notice. Very nice looking car though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Harvey View Post
    George bought the GT. He raced it for a fair while in that form and then cut a lot of weight out of it and installed a Twincam, bigger brakes and bigger wheels. Still painted black.
    Dale.
    Thanks Dale, that clears up my confusion, as I'd seen later references to Garth racing a Lotus Cortina, so made the assumption it was the Geoghegan Lotus car, rather than the GT later fitted with Lotus motor.

In the touring car race, Beechey and Jane enjoyed a big duel. Beechey's new Mustang had only been racing for about a month, whereas Jane's Jag was extremely well sorted, but nearing the end of its time in front-line competition.

Name:  26.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  34.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  94.5 KB

Looks like the battle may have gone the way of the Jag?

Name:  31.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  27.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  97.7 KB

Here is Jim McKeown in the Lotus Cortina, leading Peter Manton and a hidden Cooper S, while George Garth gives chase.

Name:  25.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  113.0 KB

Name:  29.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  94.8 KB

More Cortina action, check the nice controlled slide McKeown has going. Garth is just about climbing out the window!

Name:  30.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  32.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  86.7 KB

The fantastic little Peter Manton Cooper S. I believe this car has now been restored and is competing again in historic events?

Name:  33.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  42.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  90.0 KB