Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Bruce Wells Collection - Warwick Farm - Part 2

Some magic stuff here. First up is Jim McKeown in his Lotus Cortina, lifting a wheel in dramatic fashion. The next shot also features McKeown, but whose is the other Lotus Cortina? My first guess would be Bob Jane, but he was racing the Jag that weekend.

Name:  43.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  84.5 KB

Name:  44.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  100.9 KB

Thats Bobs car, maybe Spencer martin? But I dunno if he was driving for him that early, I think Spencer drove Bobs cortina when Bob had his first Mustang, sorry bout the memory loss! Also, I think thats Moffat running off the track in the background.... I seem to recall that car having black bumpers at some stage....Dunno whos in the GT corty though.
    Last edited by zombie289; 03-05-2013 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    The fantastic little Peter Manton Cooper S. I believe this car has now been restored and is competing again in historic events?

Attachment 16386

Attachment 16387
    Yes, This Peter Manton Mini has been restored and is racing in Australia again. More details on the Mini and Moke World au website.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote....Thats Bobs car, maybe Spencer martin? But I dunno if he was driving for him that early,

Spencer drove for David McKays SV team including the 250LM Ferrari
    After a disagreement with Mckays SV team in 1966 Spencer drove for Jane in the 67 and 68 seasons winning the Australian Gold Star Award in each of those seasons in Climax's. Spencer retired in 68.
    He reunited with McKay 10 years later following a McKay accident to drive Historic high end Sports cars in Europe and America for a number of years.
    40 years after his last drive in an open wheeler in 1968 he had an invited drive in a 2.5 Climax and was beaten by only 1/2 car length by a Lotus 49 (V8) so hadnt lost his touch.
    He still gets invited drives at Historic meetings.
    He wasnt too tardy in the Boomerang S/S Humpy in the early 60's winning 13 races in his last year in that self prepared car. He was consistently quicker than Weldon ,Geoghegan and importantly Beechey .Bo Seton took over this car.
    Spencer assembled a new imported Climax for McKay in 1965 or 66 and was mechanic for Graham Hill in the Tasman series. Spencer drove the car in non Tasman series races.
    Last edited by Ellis; 03-05-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    [QUOTE=
    40 years after his last drive in an open wheeler in 1968 [I][/I]he had an invited drive in a 2.5 Climax and was beaten by only 1/2 car length by a Lotus 49 (V8) so hadnt lost his touch.He still gets invited drives at Historic meetings.

Ellis, the car that Spencer drove in that race (Tasman Revival @ Eastern Creek)was the ex Mildren Brabham Alfa. A good race.
    Dale.

He also drove aFerrari ,a Maserati 300s a Jaguar xj220,ect at Wigram owned by Kerry Mano?????,the last time in 1995??

Semi-Pro Racer
    [QUOTE=Dale Harvey;25352][QUOTE=
    40 years after his last drive in an open wheeler in 1968 [I][/I]he had an invited drive in a 2.5 Climax and was beaten by only 1/2 car length by a Lotus 49 (V8) so hadnt lost his touch.He still gets invited drives at Historic meetings.

Ellis, the car that Spencer drove in that race (Tasman Revival @ Eastern Creek)was the ex Mildren Brabham Alfa. A good race.

Thanks Dale...You are correct...again...Had Climax's on the brain

Quote Originally Posted by launchpad View Post
    Yes, This Peter Manton Mini has been restored and is racing in Australia again. More details on the Mini and Moke World au website.

Beautiful! Thanks for posting. Its great to see such a significant race car looking so good and being enjoyed. I was sad to see it get attacked by a Mustang at the 2012 Muscle Car Masters though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    Quote....Thats Bobs car, maybe Spencer martin? But I dunno if he was driving for him that early,

Spencer drove for David McKays SV team including the 250LM Ferrari
    After a disagreement with Mckays SV team in 1966 Spencer drove for Jane in the 67 and 68 seasons winning the Australian Gold Star Award in each of those seasons in Climax's. Spencer retired in 68.
    He reunited with McKay 10 years later following a McKay accident to drive Historic high end Sports cars in Europe and America for a number of years.
    40 years after his last drive in an open wheeler in 1968 he had an invited drive in a 2.5 Climax and was beaten by only 1/2 car length by a Lotus 49 (V8) so hadnt lost his touch.
    He still gets invited drives at Historic meetings.
    He wasnt too tardy in the Boomerang S/S Humpy in the early 60's winning 13 races in his last year in that self prepared car. He was consistently quicker than Weldon ,Geoghegan and importantly Beechey .Bo Seton took over this car.
    Spencer assembled a new imported Climax for McKay in 1965 or 66 and was mechanic for Graham Hill in the Tasman series. Spencer drove the car in non Tasman series races.
    Thanks Ellis, you're right, certainly a very talented driver who retired way too young.

Peter Manton demonstrates how to drive a Mini at speed! Check the smoke coming off the outside front tyre!

Name:  47.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  79.6 KB

From the sports car races at the Warwick Farm Tasman Series event in 1965. First up is the Max Brunninghausen Daimler SP250. Second pic is the Ron Thorpe Cobra.

Name:  54.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  61.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  86.0 KB

More WF sports car action. Here is the Peter Owen owned TVR Grantura, but I'm unsure if this is Owen or Kevin Bartlett at the controls? Also pictured is the Niel Allen E Type Jag. What a pretty car!

Name:  63.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  64.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  75.3 KB

Allen and Thorpe again.

Name:  68.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  100.5 KB

Name:  69.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  88.3 KB

More sports car action.

Name:  55.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  62.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  79.4 KB

Superb shot here of Hill, with goggles around his neck, either prior to, or following the race or practice.

Name:  28.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  69.8 KB

First and second place getters from the 1965 Warwick Farm Tasman series round, Jim Clark and Jack Brabham.

Name:  36.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:  35.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  84.9 KB