I have been a continuous MANZ/MSNZ Int race/rally licence holder for nearly 50 yrs. I raced in MANZ events and historics often at the same meeting. In 1989 I heard of a threat to Historic organisers who would not line up with MANZ (one being Country Gents) and wrote a much publicised letter to MANZ (Refer:Skidding the Tyres in Classic style-Eileen McMillan). They replied (also published) to their credit, but it did not dispel the notion I held that GP motorsport as we new it was loosing its appeal to the regulars and we had to accommodate new ideas. About that time Motorsport News (Aug 1990) recorded that circuit owning clubs would ban from their venue any non MANZ member club or group! That left historic racing in a bit of a bind.
MANZ at the time was pointing out that motorsport as we knew it was not working, but clubs were springing up that were. Although clearly each club made their own decision the influence of MANZ was there and the remedy was wrong.
My reasoning was that a GP at Ruapuna in those days pulled say 5000 spectators and a Country Gents at Wigram - (able to be run by a non sanctioned club because it was not at a MANZ sanctioned venue) pulled say 30,000 spectators over two days.
Fast forward to today...have we learnt anything....it is all becoming too difficult and no wonder we have the commentary above. Chris Read- Arrowtown. Have to say Arrowtown and not Queenstown anymore, as that's where we live and my wife comes from Arrowtown and...... you get the picture.