Thread: The State of NZ Motorsport.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    I am sure David will correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand from my readings here is that he started the project a few years ago and during that time built the roll cage to the then current specification. By the time that the car was completed time had passed and the requirements had changed to that which is the current FIA specification relating to the diameter of the main roll cage hoop and because of that, his cage was no longer eligble.

I got caught out the other way in that I built my replica RS2000 rally car to the then current specification only to find out that it had changed internationally to the new specification and my thoughts of taking the car overseas to compete have now been dashed as I am not going to cut half the car apart so as to make the changes required to fit in the larger diameter tubing

For sure It would have been nice to know that there was a change in the wind when I could have done something about it but I guess we can not all be mind readers and I suspect that the same could be said for those in the MSNZ office
    It is not the diameter of the tubing but an increase of .4mm in wall thickness,and that is allowable in mild steel. not taking into consideration the greatly increased stiffness of chrome moly. Your claim it is an FIA requirement does not ring true as various people on this forum have had to have FIA approved cars, with the ink hardly dry turned down by MSNZ. The fact of the matter is it nothing to do with safety and all to do about procedure. I am not going to buy into this stupidity and if the cage is not approved as it is I will take no further part in NZ motor sport.
    Last edited by Dave Silcock; 05-21-2012 at 03:58 AM.