Thread: Rip - Bryan Wyness

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rip - Bryan Wyness

Former Mini racer and Jaguar enthusiast and also keen touring motorcyclist was killed near Rangiriri whilst out riding his motorcycle. He accompanied Gareth Morgan on the "Silk Road" adventure across some very tough terrain, so it makes it so sad that he died on state highway 1, not too far from his Pukekohe home.

Bryan was one of the nicest racers you could ever wish to meet, on and off the track and was the deserving winner of our sportsmanship trophy (our top award) in the 1998/1999 season. He drove that Mini Cooper S very hard but was a fair competitor.

He loved his Jaguars and had an E Type as well as an historic XK120 with a great NZ racing history (ex-Archibald) and featured on the front cover of NZCC a few years ago with it. (Volume 14 number 12)

A top Air NZ pilot he later graduated to "Flying a Desk" as he put it, but loved flying and I believe was one of the oldest if not, the oldest, active pilot when they scrapped compulsory grounding on the basis of age.

As an opera fan, he will forever remain in my memory when he explained to me that I should just listen to an opera singer as just another instrument and not worry about the words.

To Marion, our deepest sympathies and we will always remember him as a true gentleman racer and enthusiast.

Rip Bryan
    Last edited by ERC; 07-22-2012 at 08:43 PM.