Ron Roycrofts' garages at Glen Murray used to be a mecca for all racecar/sportscar enthusiasts back in the 60's and 70's and probably beyond. Not sure whether Ron had a dealers licence or not but he certainly bought and sold a lot of cars...interesting cars. When I first visited him in 1967 I was driving a Fiat 1500 Crusader, and the first thing Ron said to me as I got out of the car was 'at least you know what a good car is' !!!!!!! I had recently traded a Morris 1100 in on the Fiat, otherwise he might have thrown me out if I had turned up in something else. At the time I was looking for an early SS Jaguar to restore and I knew that Ron had the only 1932 SS1 coupe in the country. It was mostly complete except for one rather essential item....the engine. Apparently it had been repowered at some stage with a Chev 6 motor.....the original having disappeared. Lots of SS cars were repowered, often with Chev 6 motors; OHV and far better than the dreadful sidevalve Standard lump that was part of the SS deal Lyons had with Standard. The lack of engine didnt faze Ron one bit, and he suggested all sorts of things that could be installed. Ron was a great Chev enthusiast and I suspect that he had bought the SS to get the engine for one of his projects. Anyway the job was too big for me, and even at $150 decided not to buy it. Ron eventually sold it to some turkey in Hamilton, who in a fit of enthusiasm proceeded to strip the car to the last nut and bolt. The last time I saw it, the body was in the guys vegetable garden and the chassis propped up against the fence. Eventually I think it all went to the tip....should have bought it, a very rare car nowdays. Sometimes Ron was very hard to converse with as he was very deaf, probably through testing aircraft engines and race car driving, and his hearing aid was either not turned on or the batteries had gone flat! Unlike Sybil Lupp, Ron wasnt too concerned about how his cars looked....some were pretty rough, he was more interested on how they went. I will say this though, all of Rons cars were under cover, the old Jaguar engined RJR was parked in an old bus body out on the roadside, while the rest were in various sheds, old and new on the property. I feel very lucky to have met and chatted with Ron on a number of occasions which says much for this modest man that he was prepared to speak to someone as insignificant as me. I didnt attend the auction of his collection when he died, but I always had my eye on his very early 1923 Bentley 3 litre...think it went overseas.