Thread: MSNZ Certificate of Description

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    With my car I first thought as ERC group does not require a CoD I thought I would not bother getting one. However as the car is getting closer to completion I will be applying for a CoD + with more period documentation that I have sourced I am leaning more K spec.

The rules do change I have seen that from my Datsun 240z back in the mid 90's to now. Rules even change during builds/rebuilds (no need to go into that).

Alan you raise points that as a competitor I did not even consider - the insurance/indemnity that might apply when racing a car and if a car is outside of the rules how that might effect these under a MSNZ permit.

Ray I like your suggestion of a tiered system as one system does not fit all it seems hence this thread on the CoD's. We need a system that can ID those genuine historic vehicles. We need a system that shows a car is built to x spec/rules ie K based - standard production cars can fit under K as usually those cars would have been FIA approved under group 1 or 3 (not sure on the later FIA rules I have only focused on the era/period I am interested in 70's stuff) some cars don't fit aka Marcos as they were not homologated in period - so how does one fit those in a CoD.

#3 in ERC post is an interesting one and how the rules in T&C have changed over the years might be to blame for some of the cars that are outside of the rules today - however I guess if a car was built to T&C in 1993 and if it a CoD for this build and not modified outside of the 1993 rules then there would not be an issue. However as the rules have changed a car built to 1993 rules might well be outside of the T&C rules today in 2014.

The CoD process does require proof and in my line of work we use a saying

"Trust but verify"

So you trust the info you have been given after it has been verified - if no info is given or it can't be verified as true then you go back to the lowest common denominator ie standard car spec.

Having not applied for a CoD in the past is their a process where the applicant might be requested for more info/proof before the CoD is granted or does it just come back as non compliant A and just a B?
    Last edited by nzeder; 03-18-2014 at 11:37 PM.
    Mike L