Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
I vaguely seem to recall they were asking around US$300K for it Terry, but the site doesn't list prices anymore for some reason. As you know, people wanting to race sedans with period history in the US are all after old 1966 -72 Trans-Am cars so they can run in Historic Trans-Am. Although this Mustang is built to the same spec as many of the Mustangs in HTA, it has no Trans-Am history, and therefore, not eligible. You can pick up a privateer Trans-Am car for much less.

I guess the price tag is one of the reasons it hasn't returned to Aus either.
Which brings up things into perspective of the individual of average means about venues like HTA and many other historic series in the USA. I was taking pics one time down in Coronado Island near San Diego with an old medium format Koni-Omega range-finder camera. Hilarious in retrospect were the little human nature games I had to play to get decent shots because well-intentioned but not overly "circumstantially aware" folks would come up, blocking my shot of course, and strike up convos. I've learned since to be more "people friendly" and just roll with the interaction with people, various and sundry, whom pop up to reminisce. The shot , I've learned, will still be there!
I digress. So, one of the racers, a fellow that raced one of the Camaros, a '67 with history, could have been a Guldstrand car, asked me some questions, I told him I'm an AMC fan and that I have a '70 AMX and a '69 SC/Rambler. He goes on to tell me that I should find an old Javelin, like an ex-'68 Kaplan car and that I could have an engine built affordably by picking a 25 or 30 hour engine...Well even then a "second tier" car like the #33 Bob Tullius or the #55 car would have been over $60,000 and a 30 hour engine build, 10-15 thousand bucks(USD). Now, if one were fortunate to find a pure privateer car built from "customer" bits that was never a "factory" effort perhaps you could step into the game for the equivalent of a cheap mobile home price. I laughed when he told me all this about engines rated in hours of expected run time and said," There's guys like you with the means to afford the purchase price and more important, you can pay the operating expenses. I'll continue to spectate and enjoy the experience second hand."
The best bet for anyone else that likes the look of a period racecar is to build a home-brewed special as close as possible to "day two specs" that fit into whatever affordable club racing that matches your budget.

Steve