Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Racing Mustangs - Picture Thread

I've always liked the cars that raced to Group 2 specs in the British Touring/Saloon Car Championship in the late '60s and early '70s. Camaros were quite popular, and there was even a Javelin that raced with moderate success. Several 1965/66 Mustang coupes were campaigned, plus three 1969/70 fastbacks, including one for Martin Birrane, one for Frank Gardner (both ex-US Kar-Kraft, and Gardners I understand was one of the '69 Bud Moore cars with '70 nose fitted), plus this car here for Dennis Leech.

Leech ran the car during the '70 season fitted with a 302 motor, then a larger 351 for '71. But in an effort for more power fitted a 429 big block Boss with self-built fuel injection for 1972. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time given the team were on a tight budget and the 429 would give them good power, but sadly it was not the success he hoped for. But it sure was a wild car, and looked great fitted with 15" wide rear wheels and 12" wide front wheels with spin-off's.

Name:  6a00d83454f8b869e20120a8b01b77970b.jpg
Views: 2101
Size:  41.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    Have you ever been ripped off by an Advertising Agency. They stiil haven't paid the bill for the Fahey Mustang photo.

Given it was 40 years ago, and with interest, I'd say a new XR8 should be a fair belated payment for the use of your photo don't you Gavin?

Sounds fair to me.

Semi-Pro Racer
    This is a series of 3 or 4 of the Elliot / Pare Mustang.
    Its a 65 K Code purchased new by Don Elliot in Tasmania and put straight to work.

Brand new at Baskerville Tas

Leading Aunger in the ex Beechey, Thomson Mustang ,Baskerville

Raced in NZ at Bay Park...pic courtesy of Dale Mathers

Elliot Engine

Sold to Robin Bessant, raced in Tas and Vic

Car sold by Bessant to Graeme Scott who raced it a few times and then returned it to road trim and sold it.

Car purchased by Chas Kelly of Devonport and restored ...It makes appearances at Classic meetings . Its last outing was at the Longford Revival Festival on the Flying Mile in April 2011
    Last edited by Ellis; 06-04-2011 at 10:16 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    It would be remiss if we didnt list Beecheys 65 K Code......
    Reputedly the first Mustang in the world to win a race
    It was a very early drum braked K Code. He only ran it for 1 or 2 meetings before changing to disc front end

Symmons Plains Tas 1965

Sold to Bryan Thomson. He campaigned it in Aust and also took it to England.

Kim Aunger...shown here following R Pare at Baskerville Tas

It ended up on the drag strip...this pic at eastern Creek in 2008 when it was for sale.
    It ended up selling on Ebay

Sign at Eastern Creek ..2008

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    This is a series of 3 or 4 of the Elliot / Pare Mustang.
    Its a 65 K Code purchased new by Don Elliot in Tasmania and put straight to work.

Brand new at Baskerville Tas

Leading Aunger in the ex Beechey, Thomson Mustang ,Baskerville

Raced in NZ at Bay Park...pic courtesy of Dale Mathers

Elliot Engine

Sold to Robin Bessant, raced in Tas and Vic

Car sold by Bessant to Graeme Scott who raced it a few times and then returned it to road trim and sold it.

Car purchased by Chas Kelly of Devonport and restored ...It makes appearances at Classic meetings . Its last outing was at the Longford Revival Festival on the Flying Mile in April 2011
    Boy, Don Elliot must have done an awful lot for motor racing in Tasmania. Did the Thomson Camaro replaced the Mustang in the Elliot stable? I hadn't realised the Mustang was a new car when built for racing. Must have been of the first racing Mustangs in Aus?

Has there been any progress on the Beechey Mustang restoration? I assume its being restored?

Without wanting to hi-jack the thread, but while on the subject of Beechey, has his '68 Camaro ever resurfaced?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Has there been any progress on the Beechey Mustang restoration? I assume its being restored?
    Without wanting to hi-jack the thread, but while on the subject of Beechey, has his '68 Camaro ever resurfaced?
    Not heard any progress reports on the Mustang resto ex Beechey
    I heard that the Beechey Camaro went back onto the road and ended up in NZ

To answer the Q re Elliot....
    He had a large trucking business and numerous race cars.
    I'll list some I recall.....

Holden Monopsto open wheeler
    Jag SS 120?
    GT Cortina...He raced this and then put Pare into it at about 16 yrs of age
    Lotus Cortina ...new 65 and raced by Pare
    Anglia Super...Pare
    Mustang...Pare
    69 XWGTHO Ph1, 70 XWGTHO Ph2, 71 XYGTHO Ph3...road cars that did a few Club days
    Camaro ex Thomson....Pare
    Charger ex McCormack...Edmondson (Pare may have had a drive or 2)
    Elfin ME5...Pare...Bad crash (flipped) Baskerville and retired from racing
    Cortina 440 2 Dr...Edmondson
    Alfa Sports Sedan ..Repco V8...Edmondson...Aust Champ
    Maybe others I dont recall immediately
    Bought Elfin cars in 80's, managed by Edmondson

He took the Camaro to NZ after the Mustang and maybe also the Charger.
    Last edited by Ellis; 06-05-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Excellent stuff!
    Anyone got anything on the Haig, Slade, Kennard '67 Mustang, now in Aussie?

Gardner 1970

Follmer

Pretty certain the Bud Moore '69 Mustang that Gardner raced in Europe in 1970 was destroyed (I think) in a loading accident at a shipping wharf.

Apparently the Beechy Mustang was the first Mustang to win a race in the world as history has it. Friend has been to Aussie and says he believes the car is being restored. I will try for more info.

The Frank Gardner pic looks like Brands Hatch, on the drop from Druids to Bottom (now Graham Hill) Bend, and the Follmer pic I think is Laguna Seca before the pit complex went in.

Some Puke Mustang shots from the Colin Barrie collection. They use to get good crowds in those days - even a Light 15 Citroen in the car park.

Last edited by RogerH; 06-06-2011 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Pretty certain the Bud Moore '69 Mustang that Gardner raced in Europe in 1970 was destroyed (I think) in a loading accident at a shipping wharf.
    Don't know if you have seen this site

http://www.ponysite.de/transam.htm

Accordinging to them Dan Bowden has whats left of it.And the damage was not what was first thought.

I believe there were 7 Kar-Kraft Mustangs built for the '69 Trans-Am season, plus 2 prototypes. Where did these 7 (9 including the prototypes) get to, and how many survived? I know that 2 of the Shelby cars are restored and racing in the US, along with 1 of the Bud Moore cars, and that the Allan Moffat car is with the Bowdens in Australia, but what happened to the rest of them?

Hi there, as a short intro... I am the editor of www.ponysite.de and Steve pointed me to this page, so whenever I might have something of value (or think it is of value and you will correct me, I will post here.

The survivors are pretty much covered VIN by VIN on my a.m. page (with a few drop outs due to lack of time for updating). Note that only a few were "moved" through Kar Kraft.

The Gardner car (or let's say what is left of it) had been indeed found a number of years ago acc. to the Bowdens, but paperwork and remainders needed to find a common home and then the decision how to deal with it took way more time.
    The Bowdens image is in their automotive car care business connected to shiny cars and outstanding racecars, not a "something", which means presenting it requires some thorough thinking and timing and let's say "detailing".

Thanks also for the Leech car picture. I am just in touch with a former mechanic in the UK, who shoehorned the 429 in it. The car belongs to Craig Olson today.

The Beechey car is indeed planned out for restoration. The new owner is also seeking for more pics of the Bryan Thomson's usage. If you - Ellis F. - have more pics of its 67 livery, it would be very much appreciated. I was about to contact the well-known UK picture treasurers, as I think I had seen some while browsing their boxes at various UK events.
    best rgds
    Wolfgang
    Last edited by TransamEd; 06-11-2011 at 03:51 AM. Reason: intro added

Thats some great info there Wolfgang. Can you tell me the current condition of both the Bud Moore/Frank Gardner Mustang, and the Dennis Leech Mustang?

Sorry, no...I leave that to the owners...I "relay" only what I get with permission to publish.

Thanks for the info Wolfgang.