Great post Chris...thanks
Quote Originally Posted by Chris Read View Post
In reply to this and post #28 and #34, like others I cant see how I missed this thread. The photo is the Brian Maybe car which I have owned and raced for 40 yrs. The first car Brian made in the early 50's had an Austin motor and wire wheels (photo #1). This became the No 2 car with the Vauxhall 10 motor and raced around 1955. It went to Southland in the main with various owners and also raced at Wigram (photo #2). This car was modified to a Consul motor and a different front body. This is how it finished its racing (photo#3). I acquired it as a box of bits from Winston ??- (used to work at AutoCourt Dunedin).
'Tweaks' (is that Lynsday Marr ?) did give me the list (photo#4) of components of the #2 car via John Nobles but I did not get the car from 'Tweaks'. The list is interesting. The last car Brian built was the Vauxhall 6 cyl motor and the later 1 3/4 ' triple SU's came off Earnie Spragues Zephyr. This is the car in which Mabey was killed. and car I have had for all these years (photo#5). The family did not want to have much to do with the tragedy even though I tried for may years to make contact.
Finally I visited Brian's daughter with the car and the photo #6 is his grand daughter sitting in the car. I have spoken with Brian's brother and he remembers the cars well but his wife who lives near her daughter in Wellington prefers to leave things as they are. While I respect this,Name:  BCM #1 Austin motor 001.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  70.2 KBName:  BCm #'2' Vauxhall 10 motor 001.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  50.3 KBName:  BCM #2 later body as last raced 001.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  42.3 KBName:  BCM #'2' as received by Chris Read 001.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  55.3 KBName:  BCM #'3' with Chris Read for 40 yrs 001.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  48.1 KB I did say to his daughter that Brian was an influence in NZ motor racing engineering in the 50's that should not be forgotten. Even though she was only a few months old when he died she now appreciates what her father achieved in those few short years and I am glad we made contact some 50 yrs on. Chris Read - Arrowtown.