Last weekend was the Annual Motorsport NZ AGM and workshops in Auckland, I was asked to attend as an observer by HRC, this was my first Motorsport AGM conference which I found very interesting. Off course Tier 1 was what interested most and the expense that goes with this group, but not why I was there or what interested me though in some way it affects us all, it appeared to me to be a big game of chess!! Friday morning was for Workshop discussion’s amongst all groups, I was invited to sit in on the Historic and Classic commission workshop and it was great to meet the H&C delegates and talk amongst them and issues at hand, and of course Historic Muscle Cars was a topic of interest and discussion which I left truly believing these guys are behind HMC, I have been asked to attend further Classic and Historic workshops which I’m glad to be involved in and can only firm up the position of HMC. Meeting the South Island delegates, classic clubs and event organisers was also fantastic and made me believe that HMC has made inroads into “their” way for thinking for future South Island classic meetings and as I told them, the interest from down south has been amazing, so great discussion all-round. I also enjoyed talking with Julian Leitch about technical issues involving the older classic cars and having great discussion with Jim Barclay about next year’s Denny Hulme and future events. So for a first timer I came away positive though like anything Motorsport, it takes time. For anyone contemplating racing in Historic Muscle Cars, buying, building and converting and existing vehicle I can assure you we are here to stay, but remember WE are only about Historic/Classic racing.

Prior to the AGM I’ve had a couple of minor misunderstandings when talking with interested parties about racing in HMC. I've had to frequently point out that HMC is NOT a race series, most likely won’t be on TV, doesn't have points or series rounds, but just like Historic racing overseas its about, well, just that "Historic Racing". More importantly it’s about racing in a gentlemanly manor where the cars are raced to, and presented in a high standard with the appearance of days gone by, to a set of rules that applies to everyone. Of course i understand that this is not for everyone but don't think for one minute its about having a gentle Sunday drive around a race track, this is still a motor racing class, just operated in a manner were we all respect each other’s pride and joy. When I say respect, I mean just that, with nothing to win, why bother making that last second suicide pass. So with this in mind! and with what we are pushing for at HMC, if that’s you and your car complies, well we want you then! But we are in no way obligating you to race with and at HMC only events, we are only offering you a compliant Historic race group at Historic/Classic meetings, there are many other class’s and classic meetings all around the country so race were you see fit, even if your vehicle is HMC compliant and you don’t want to race at HRC/HMC events, well that’s OK by us too.

But in the meantime the heat is on!!! Car owners/racers are popping up everywhere. Without a doubt the biggest amount of interest in the last month has been from the South Island, coming via Steve Holmes Classic Car articles. Quite amazing and in true mainland style they want to do it right and make their cars HMC legal. Obviously our fellow HMC mainlanders can't be at every HMC event but some are already planning to be at Denny Hulme next January, good on you guys and we welcome you.

Peter Stevenson of Mt Maunganui has purchased this 65 B Production Mustang Fastback race car out of America. This vehicle has been a raced for 30 years in the USA and because of the American Vintage Class rules this Mustang pretty much meets HMC spec, only requiring door window glass and a few other minor details to comply. It's already fitted with an all cast iron 310CI engine making 475HP, 15" wheels and tyres, correct body panels and interior trim. When I last spoke with Pete it had just been shipped and he hopes to be September’s Ice Breaker event, great stuff.

You would have viewed our "Eligibility List" from last month, which wont effecting most prospective car builders/racers and existing vehicles, and it has worked already, as we've been approached by one person wishing to build a Valiant VJ Hardtop Coupe for HMC, currently not on the list. However, with the approval of the 3 HMC Directors we have given this person the go ahead, easy as that!! So if it’s not on the list, contact us as you never know. Of course we still want it to be some sort of recognised Muscle Car which isn't hard to establish these days.

We’ve tossed and turned over this issue, but below is the new Front spoiler rules, this has come about from our Australian competitors as the feed back on their cars with a period style front spoiler fitted was positive, so we have taken this onboard for HMC. We struggled with wording on this one but strangely enough we’ve ended up using most of the written word from the 1970 American SCCA Trans Am rule book, below is almost word for word(with a few additions)to suit today’s racing in HMC:

A front spoiler may be mounted on any HMC vehicle regardless of whether or not a front spoiler is recognised as standard or optional for that model, providing such spoiler meets the following requirements. It must be mounted to the front underside body panel, below and to the rear of front bumper location, in a manner which does not change the original frontal appearance. The maximum front spoiler width shall be limited to the car’s front wheel track width centre line (the front track dimension). The vertical dimension from the lowest point on the spoiler may not exceed four inches. Openings may be made in the spoiler for the purpose of ducting air to the front brakes. If a front spoiler is added as above, any standard or optional front spoiler must be removed or modified to conform with the above limitation’s. All spoilers must be a single flat plane and made from Aluminium, Plastic or Fibreglass only and are subject to approval by the HMC Technical Inspector/Directors

With that been said, and although the above rule will now allow me to fit a "Trans Am" type front spoiler to my Mustang, you will find I’ll be doing no such thing, i love it just the way it is. Regardless of what front spoiler I use it will not make one "iota" difference in how the Mustang handles or goes. To those that do so use the regulations as above, I’m sure it will look good and it’s the “looks” we are after.

There will be NO June HMC E-mailout, expect to receive the next one in July.

Below is next summer’s race dates: Please note, Possibility of a one day TACCOC event Sunday Nov 4th at Hampton, more to come.

1 - Ice Breaker, 29/30th September 2012 at Hampton Downs
2 - Denny Hulme Festival, 18/20th January 2013 at Hampton Downs
3 - Denny Hulme Festival, 25/27th January 2013 at Hampton Downs
4 - Legends of Speed, 23/4th March 2013 at Hampton Downs

The Ice Breaker is first up this year so aim for this one, you have 4 months!! through the winter I'll keep you all reminded. Once again we are not about having large fields, we only want HMC and T&C legal cars and if we only have 6 or so cars, so be it. We will be racing with the under 3L Historic Saloons as well, most of us will be ready to dust of our cars(and ourselves) off by the time this event rolls around.

Also check out the current Classic Car Magazine for Steve Holmes monthly article and ramble about HMC's goings on, we also have further articles in NZV8 and Greg Sstokes has kindly added our race dates to NZ Hot Rod Magazine. Also in today’s high tech world it is a must to keep up with the play on the http://www.theroaringseason.com/foru...ral-Discussion with some fantastic picture’s at http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...Cars-Under-HRC

Historic Muscle Car Tee Shirts are available for $20 each plus postage, E-mail me for size’s and colour.

That’s it from me again this month, any questions and queries don't hesitate to contact Myself, Tony or Steve. Remember if you are changing your car to suit HMC/MSNZ T&C Rules or building a new racer you will NOT be racing with other non compliant cars, its a level playing field for all. Lets keep the "Classic and Historic" in Classic and Historic racing. And I know I don't need to remind you but remember, "The Cars are the Stars" so that’s all from me for May 12, feel free to contact me or anyone of the directors below.

To race and be apart of HMC you need to join HRC http://www.grandprix.org.nz/Contact_Us.wse their $50 membership deal is a bargain, and a requirement to race.

HMC WEBSITE: http://www.historicmusclecars.co.nz/

PLEASE NOTE: If you wish to be removed from this E-mailout please let me know, if you wish to add someone please do the same.

Take care and enjoy your Historic Motor sport

Dale Mathers dmathers@xtra.co.nz , Tony Roberts tony@hamptondowns.com , Steve Holmes enquiries@monsterracewear.co.nz
HRC Members/HMC Directors