Thread: Discuss the various formats for historic racing

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I also don't quite know where Trevor's poll will get us but I'm pretty sure most historic competitors do race within the constraints that Roger E (Racer Rog) mentioned. We have to remember that our cars are old and have a value (some more than others), they often have irreplaceable components that you can't pick up at Repco. Additionally, they are inherently unsafe with no real crumple zones, built in side protection and in many cases roll protection. Taking all this into account I think the cars are generally raced hard with drivers understanding that you need to drive within limits and when these limits are breached I have seen some pretty heavy "talk" to the offending driver.
    Getting on to the two options Trevor put forward - at least with historic/classic saloons there are opportunities for both categories. The racers can participate in the T&C type races and for those who just want to drive at speed on a circuit without getting involved in the "cut and thrust" there are series like the very popular (at least in Auckland) Classic Trials. Often new historic racers start out in Classic Trials and move onto T&C racing but others find the remaining in Classic Trials gives them enough fun. As long as you are happy and having fun then things are OK.
    Last edited by RogerH; 06-05-2012 at 11:43 PM.