Quote Originally Posted by Steve Emson View Post
Hi Dave,
I thought what I was saying is the speed differential was the problem. That group NC falcon should not have been in the same race as the other cars. I was just driving it as quickly as I could in the first few laps because it was costing an arm and a leg to run it, so you want to enjoy yourself. Of course i wasn't doing lap record pace once I was in traffic. But don't also forget that I was racing for a Qld State Title, so I at least had to drive the silly thing. It was a replica- no big deal
The other point you raised, about the XU1's, Some of the competitors I am talking about came back from group A or V8 supercars as they are now,and other forms of motorsport as well,and just wanted to win. Some of these cars were very ordinary in appearance and they were quite prepared to drive into you car. Panel damage was very common, with guys pushing each other around.
I can identify with the guy with a Lotus Cortina or whatever. Do you really want someone driving their Torana S into you lightweight Alloy door?
There is a problem in this type of racing isn't there. I don't know what they do now, because I parked that falcon in my shed and never drove it again. It was because I simply did not enjoy all the crap that goes on in this type of racing. As the group manager in this class at the time i spent a huge amount of time getting things done for historics and the competitors. That part I enjoyed and I should make it clear that we all got on.
Some people think that you should drive at some gentleman pace in this class and be happy with that. Other people want to drive the way these cars were suppose to be driven. The two camps will never agree.
The falcon is a very well known car and gave a lot of people pleasure watching it, not only when I had it but when the previous owner Lloyd Bax owned it. LLoyd made this car a bit of a legend whilst he had it. Lloyd also became one of my best friends and built another car to try and beat the falcon. Unfortunately LLoyd (another Kiwi) is no longer with us.
With the XU1 guys reported to be spending up to $30,000 on an engine, the whole class turned to rubbish. They were getting HUGE horsepower from these cars.
Anyway, I obviously have not expressed myself very well on here.
Dave, the real problem was also Lakeside itself. If you have driven around there (you possibility have)you would know there are blind parts of the track and only 1 fast line around it. Also there is really only one viable passing point.
Hello where are we here?
What is your point? The falcon was a replica.It was quicker around Lakeside than any other XY Falcon ever has been, including big Petes super Falcon. It should have been in a NC only race, but that was impossible.
The XU1 was a real car with history. Brett raced them as it was in the 70's and did very well. he had the respect of all the other drivers because he was having a big go and was a tough guy to beat. He was only a kid just out of high school. He did not have the HP they had, maybe 100hp less than them.
So I have both ends of the spectrum covered as a car owner. I didn't say anything about replicas vrs real. My point is if your are going to spend $3,000 approx to do about 20 odd laps at a meeting, you had better enjoy yourself!
If you are going to go out in a CAMS Championship round, drive the thing as best as you can. That is the only reward.
Replicas, real cars, who cares. What you said about Mustangs Dave, you are right.
Steve, sorry I misunderstood you position on replicas and I agree one does like to drive what ever car you are in as well as one can.Last time I looked, and it seems I don"t have the latset book,any form of series or championship is prohibited by MSNZ, which is how it should be in my opinion.
Dave.