Thread: Motorsport NZ does Historic Racing need them.....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A very interesting topic.

The first step is - do we need FIA for most domestic racing? I think the answer is no. For 99% of the racers in NZ the FIA is next to meaningless and it only really applies to those racers who want to compete in overseas jurisdictions who operate as an FIA ASN.

Sure, the FIA has certain standards that MSNZ applies to items such as helmets and harnesses but this usually results in artificial cost increases and illogical restrictions on use life of non "FIA Approved" items - for example the MSNZ imposed life of a FIA harness compared to a SFI harness. These FIA standards could be dispensed with and acceptable international standards (such as Snell and SFI) used at no additional cost to a competitor.

The next thing is do we need MSNZ in NZ? MSNZ is quick to state that they have the exclusive right for motor sport in NZ. However this is incorrect. They may have the sole right as a ASN to represent the FIA in NZ but that does not give them the sole right to administer or regulate motor sport - such action would be against the Commerce Act provisions for a start.

The issue of insurance is bandied about as being a huge problem that only MSNZ can solve. This is also incorrect. There is no monopoly for MSNZ in getting insurance cover for events. A combination of sensible cover and legally binding indemnities signed by drivers, marshals etc could be easily obtained by an independent party. In the US many organisations run their own thing and that is the land of litigation. For example see this successful historic and classic group that issue their own competition licences, rules and series : http://www.hsrrace.com/About-HSR.html

Essentially many clubs and event promotors run their own events here and I know that they feel that they are only paying a "tax" to MSNZ for the so-called privilege of putting on an event.

I agree with Ray's comments regarding the growing dissatisfaction from the historic and classic fraternity that they are not getting a fair shake from MSNZ. I understanding that the historic and classic group are the largest single group of competitors within MSNZ and the income derived from this group is the largest from any competitor group. Against this background, I have experienced a lack of affinity (or possibly worse) with historic and classic racing from MSNZ Executive. There has been no representative from H&C on MSNZ Executive for many years. These situations tend to grow over time and eventually it gets to a stage were there is a revolt.

I don't think there is any legal or structural reason why a group of competitors can't get together and hire a track and run an event. If MSNZ tried to stop it they would most probably be up for action under the Commerce Act. All it needs is the correct structure, organisation and legal/insurance/indemnity protection - this is not an insurmountable imposition only solvable by MSNZ.
    Last edited by RogerH; 10-09-2012 at 01:26 AM.