Thread: PUKEKOHE

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The back straight is too long/fast? Makes no sense at all with speeds at Bathurst and other venues.
    The new chicane would add another needed feature to the circuit for spectators if only they could access it.
    The money will be swallowed up in AVESCO luxuries with nothing left over to improve the lot of spectators or ordinary competitors.
    The circuit will still continue to slide into old age and eventual obscurity. I doubt there's many fans of motor racing getting all excited knowing they will still endure the crummy facilities that were acceptable in NZ life in the sixties.

Hampton Downs directors, I assume, haven't been all over Tony Cochrane with promises of $000,000s, so are not in the frame. Cochrane's excuses why HD will never make a V8 venue are shallow beyond measure and IMO disguise other motives.

I have plenty of affection for Puke as a track to race on even in today's tired state but HD with funding for it's completion is the way forward. Anyway, Pukekohe has served us well for almost 50 years and for that I'm grateful.

Here's film footage of the inaugural meeting, the 1963 New Zealand Grand Prix.

Last edited by Murray Maunder; 10-22-2012 at 03:38 AM.