Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: The Vintage Aviator - WW1 Airshow

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Fabulous shots Steve. The other great interest in my life - vintage aviation. Did you get any shots of the SE 5a's

Most of those aircraft are owned by the Vintage Aviator which is owned by Peter Jackson. I am always happy when he makes a mint out of his films because I know that a fair chunk of it will end up back in vintage aviation. He is currently working on a remake of the Dambusters movie and has several full scale replicas of Lancasters in the country.

I see recently that the Vintage Aviator sold three WW I aircraft to the RAF Museum in the UK and they are rapt with the quality and visual presentation of the aircraft. I believe that all three aircraft will be flown first before going on static display in the museum. We are extremely lucky in this country as most of these aircraft are only flying in NZ. Much like the Mosquito at the moment. Saw it flying over Lake Karapiro at the weekend and what a sight it made.
    Thanks for that Mike. I did wonder if The Vintage Aviator might have been Peter Jacksons, I knew he had a company in Wellington that built/restored WW1 planes, but wasn't sure if this was him or now. He plays a very low-key role. Do you know if the three Fokker Triplanes posted here are his? Yes there were a couple of SE 5a's there.

Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    Fabulous Aircraft and beautifully photographed and described,NZ has obviously the foremost collection of WW1 era aircraft in existance.

Great thread!

Pete.
    Thanks Pete, glad you're enjoying them. I know you're a bit of an enthusiast of old war planes.

There were two FE2b's, which are really incredible looking machines. The motor sits behind the pilot, the prop behind the motor, and sort of pushes the plane forward, rather than pulls it. Behind the main cockpit area there is really little more than four long wooden poles that join at the tail section. Quite majestic looking things, but at the same time slightly ungainly. Note in the aerial shot the gunman sits right out in front of the pilot in his own little section. Originally, the gunman had to stand, and had no harnesses to stop him falling out. And apparently a few did actually fall out. Health & safety now requires he be strapped in!

According to the announcers, this event was the first time two FE2b's had flown together since WW1.

Name:  IMG_5904.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  111.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5852.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5833.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  55.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Thanks for that Mike. I did wonder if The Vintage Aviator might have been Peter Jacksons, I knew he had a company in Wellington that built/restored WW1 planes, but wasn't sure if this was him or now. He plays a very low-key role. Do you know if the three Fokker Triplanes posted here are his? Yes there were a couple of SE 5a's there.
    As far as I am aware TVAL does own several Triplanes but don't ask me which ones. We must have one of the biggest populations of these aircraft in the world. TVAL is a difficult place to find out any news of what they are up to - it is a closed shop and you only find out when they register their latest aircraft with CAA.

A visit to their website is an eye opener. They make everything including original WW I engines, all the guns etc. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they make instruments as well.

Being tied up with the film industry they have access to some amazing artists and the aging process that they achieve with paint will blow your sox off. I have had a close look at a couple of their WW I tanks and the aging process that they achieve with layers of paint is staggering.
    Last edited by kiwi285; 11-15-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Thanks Mike, yes their work is quite incredible, the curved woodwork on the FE2b's is amazing!

My point about the close relationship between early aviation and race cars of the era can be seen in the famous Marmon Wasp.

Name:  AUT-13-RK0353-01P.JPG
Views: 841
Size:  58.2 KB

A Kitty Hawk was also present, and put on an impressive high speed display. Sounded fantastic too!

Name:  IMG_5858.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  118.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5859.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  105.5 KB

This whole lot could be the future of air defence in NZ. At least they have greater numbers than the RNZAF

Those F2Bs look seriously dangerous, even without someone shooting at you with machine guns.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

Name:  IMG_5814.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  87.0 KB
    Can anyone tell me what he small prop is for ? Probably a really obvious answer but I cant think of it. lol

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Can anyone tell me what he small prop is for ? Probably a really obvious answer but I cant think of it. lol
    I was thinking Air speed indicator, but they're usually further out on the wings (away from the propeller), so maybe a generator?

Sometimes a small prop mounted in this location was used to pressurize the fuel system,a high speed dive could over speed this device resulting in failure.

Pete.

Journeyman Racer
    If you are going through Blenheim make time to go and see the Omaka museum.Fabulous dioramas of WW1 aircraft in action and out of action. Peter Jackson and Weta Workshop had a major input in these as well. Budget for at least two hours. Just down the road is a classic car museum as well.
    I didn't see the Mosquito at Karapiro. Down at Manfeild. But all reports have been what an amazing aeroplane it is, a pity that it is going overseas. A very large crowd at Karapiro for the annual armistice day celebrations.

Beowulf

I sware I was born a couple of generations too late.

Great pictures guys!!!

I love this era of aircraft & also the early air racers of the 30's (some fantastic planes like the spitfire came from these).

I would love to come to NZ one day just to check these planes out.

A few years back a replica WW1 Bomber Vickers Vimy flew out to Australia & I was lucky enough to see it fly. They are so slow but amazing to see such a huge biplane fly.

These are not my pics but give you an idea

There is some more info here on the epic flight that this aircraft undertook
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...und-world.html

I just wish that there was a huge Handley Page 0/1500 still around. There was a great story of one of these being used the Third Anglo-Afghan War in 1919. It only dropped a handfull of small bombs in one mission that did no real damage but the apperance of this huge aircraft was enough to cause great psychological impact on the citizens of Kabul & it brought the war to an end.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the size of one. Its hard to imagine what it would have been like, considering most people of this era probably had not seen a plane before let alone something this big dropping bombs but of been shocking to most people.