Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Hi Dave, Was that the rally where Ian crashed. His co-driver was injured although the car was reasonably ok. You stepped in as co-driver only to later be disqualfied. Not sure of the exact details, it was last century after all. But i am sure there is a good story there.
Saw Derek Etherington at Manfield, he could tell some great yarns about early rallying.
No, different year, different car - an ornery Corolla 1300. Ian put it over a bank somewhere north of Gisborne, putting co-driver Steve Lachman (the car's owner) in hospital. I was in a team back-up car that year, and we asked Clerk of the Course Murray Thompson if I could take over. Rather to our surprise he said yes. We got as far as the next major stop - Napier or Hastings - when someone protested us. At the ensuing stewards' enquiry we were winning our defence, because of the fact that we had the CofC's OK, until someone asked if I'd signed the indemnity form. Um - no. So we were out

Steve - Derek Etherington was your Dad's co-driver in the first Silver Fern, in a Simca 1000, as I recall, and possibly in later (Torana) events as well