Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Jims Jaguar Thread

Morning Dave this new Mk11 Sound,s like A real goer carnt wate to see it Jags for EVER ? no motor sounds like Jag at full throtal yehar Jamie A

Morning to you too Jamie, bloody cold down here mate. The new Mk2 is certainly a goer, far better than I expected, makes my supercharged XJ seem like a slug. The sound is unlike any Jaguar you have ever heard, but still, as my young lad who works for me would say 'Horndog'. Probably because it ends up in one 3'' pipe after a megaphone. The headers were designed by Burns Stainless. Will keep you up to speed on progress.
    Cheers Dave.

Hi Dave, Probably Allan Moffat has the same problem if he tries to change the oil in his own car.Hey Jim, as a Jag man on your Jag thread, do you want some details on a 1937 SS 1.5 I did last year.

John he will still be in bed as it gets verry cc Could in Tokora !! I am not the One who would like to see the SS Jag verry nearley owned one but that was A lott of years ago Jamie

Ok John sounds good do you have any matching seats for my Spyder under 500 wide and 600 high it has been off the road for several yrs ,now with 2 new knees I am able to get out of it just.. must look good when I stop it always stands out and this poor old guy strugling to climb out by the way I never said I was a Jaguar man I believe as any jag is top class some one considers me in the same light

Hi Jim, what sort of Spyder- Alpha, Fiat, Porsche, Corvair-or regular Avondale? Seats can be made , have adjusted them for bad backs, and small women, never modified seats for new knees. .Seat tracks are not my department.

Jonh I am agarst {thanks jamie} Alan Dick published it in 1990 The Short Spyder at the 1991 SFOS was given the trophy with Said Marouths Alfa TZ2 a to the best car there. and hard to believe by John Osbourne who in the wet at Bay Park told me very softly not to run on those slicks!!then at Puke thought I didnt use my mirror to his satifaction,,now he was shaking my hand and making a joke of the past battles!! must admit I tressuure? this prize.I had it parked out side shop in the 90s met a lot of real legdens and some clowns one was a up market Aussie stopped and came in to ask actually shut shop and gave him a ride around the block he then told how to make it better use the V6 holden motor But I wont be invited to the events down south with that motor soXX@@!^^XX another young chap rushed in asking is it a Porsche spider??? Dont insult my car... he was rather stuned with my outlook on life my glass is empty The End

I think I will just crawl away-goodbye

N 0 No alls well that ends well

John you got me remembering some of the reaction my car got,.My wife worked as a travel agent for Go International in the city this night I parked infront of their front door and waited {not in the car}a friend{at that stage} arrived to pick up his wife also a travel agent, we standing talking when he noticed the car Whow look at this he walked around then spotted the name Short spyder Made in NZ, the only part made in NZ registered in his little brain,, he made out to kick it bloody made in NZ then realized it was mine!! .Then I drove down to a meeting at Bay Park and parked it where I could keep an eye on it from the hill stand on the grass then the folk sitting beside us noticed and of he went all excited,he came back disgusted hell its made in NZ!!!he never clicked it was mine and so it goes. On the other side ,in 81 I was invited to run my E Type at the Country Gents at Wigram ,now these guys ran a great meeting no manz here the range of cars some over from Aussie the Dalray a 50s jag SP. Sam Johnsons Ferrari dino ect. the air force had a large tent that had a jazz band and full range of hot meals,was able to meet a lot of new folk the one I wish to meet was Ray Archibald but no show he was so tall and surronded by lesser men I,met and chatted to Ian his brother.1983 Ardmore reunion Ray came up with his 3.8 jag and dusted us all off but in one race my fan belt broke on the last lap and helped me to get fastest lap over him not that it ment much,but after the race he gave me a fan belt along with Rod Coppings Colin McGregor and one other all different sizes ??? any how Ray spent lots of time during the meeting chatting ,if you come to CC you must visit and so on that was 83 now to 93 back at Wigram never seen Ray since 83, me and my son was walking looking at the public cars in the car park like yrs ago car folk were proud to take them out all classics mainly ,when this tall chap with an even taller younger man with a youngster in his arms crossed in front of us .Excuse me I said arnt you Ray Archibald?? do you remember me?? not shure ,,remember the primrose jag??/ Yes tell about your Short Spyder!! true really is true sadly him and Ian are gone but a memorie of him I will never forget at Puke 2nd lap he passed up the back straight Dennis Marwood me then Angus Hyslop and in the hairpin the three of us were side by side and his jag so crossed up imposible to save I was starting to smile I think {cant really be shure} when all of a suden the three of us side by side took of up the short straight and he was gone .years later Earnie Spraque told me Ray used change his diff ratio to suite!!!

Afternoon John just proof read my last coment (only) left out with inserted in the right place it makes sence SORRY abought that Jamie

The man who beat Bruce McLaren back in the sixteys in his 3.8 Mk 2 Jaguar, Alister McBeath in one of the best races ,with the Cooper Mini outbraking and cornering the big Jaguar only to loose out on the long straight fell down some steps and broke his hip and arm .now85yrs old,but very much alive

Journeyman Racer
    Yes and it was those two racing at Levin which made me a huge "saloon car'' fan. Did he only race that Jag for one season and then pack it in?

I am not shure ,after 63 the first Puke GP they raced at Levin with Kerry Grant and Bruce ,Brian Innis also plus Ernnie in his Zepher sadly I never saw them down south but buy all accounts it was all on, I must addmit I have to think awhile .I think Alister {some slack journos called him Athol!1 much to his disgust}but to confuse use there was a A McLoud? in a Jag at the same time.he Alister bought the car that Simon Taylor raced before he bought the D Type of Hislop ,he had on the drivers door" Mr Quickly" painted on it .He also raced a Cooper 500 a Mk 1 Zepher a taxi with the taxi signe on thr roof. a Normack Sp made in Hawkes Bay plus the Baggnal Sp. Ray Archibald was also running at that stage and I remember Alister describing a demon pass on Ray down the inside and not been able to stop ,the look Ray gave him as they both shot over the grass was not one to forget. He has in his garage below the house is his homemade coffin waiting for him, lined with the curtins from his lounge!! I pity the nurses loking after him ,a great bloke

Semi-Pro Racer
    He raced the Jag for two seasons

I also remember other names he painted on his cars - "Frère Diable" was one, possibly on the Normac

He used to take the Evening Post from Wellington to Otaki for delivery every day. I think he used one of his Zephyrs for that purpose at one time, and certainly a V8 Ranchwagon (which was also pressed into occasional competition use)

Another storey about Colin McGregor he was a very astute man ,had the first supermarket in Auckland,owned a swag of cars over the yrs. One was a 3.8 E Type done very little miles,still had chalk marks under the car from the assembly line, he and his wife went up north for a drive and at a set of lights some hoons revesed into the nose and took of laughing.He raced back with Laurie Powell Tom Clark ect,this day at Levin all set to return home when Tom who had the Mk 7 suggested they stop at the Cobb in Taupo for a meal and he would give Colin a start as nothing was as fast as the Jag. Not shure what Colin was driving but it was foot down the whole way,just as Colin and crew got in the door the Mk7 pulled up outside ,Colin said to his crew quick sit at this table that had not been cleared and when Tom came bursting through the door Colin stood up and remarked what a good meal it was and they must be off!!!

World Champion
    At the risk of incuring the wrath of other members of TRS, I am bringing up this subject of Jums cars on his own thread, started by Oldfart, so Jum could indulge himself in nostalgia. So no need to shoot Jum down as you, the potential reader can look, or not as the case may be.

The subject of the Ferrari replica was raised on another thread and some questions were asked concerning its build date.
    Now I know that Jum is inordinately proud of this car, even though it sounded like a Model A Ford when competing...... true, and I have to ask myself ,why would you want to replicate a Ferrari 500, with a 4 cylinder engine, when you could have, for instance, done a very nice job with a 250F. There is about the same amount of work in each car, and you would end up, in my opinion with a much better looking, and certainly sounding car. The Alfa engine in the Ferrari just didnt cut the mustard for sound, or perhaps when I heard it Jum wasnt giving it enough welly!!!

Of all the race cars around at the time, mid fifties, the 500 was a pretty basic machine. I'm not sure how successful it was, but I think someone won a World Championship in one, maybe Farina, probably because it was so reliable, and actually finished races. It was hardly a thing of beauty ,cocked up at the back end as it was, compared to a 250F.

Jum put his heart and soul into that machine, only to have it scorned by the establishment at the time, especially in the North Island. Think it might be different today, but for whatever reason, Jum spat the dummy and sold the car to the USA, where it sems to have been welcomed. Think he may have regreted that decision, but then again we have all done this......selling cars we shouldnt.

The other machine that Jum is passionate about is of course the SS, not Jaguar, but Short Spyder. I have told Jum repeatedly that it will only look good when he converts to wire-wheels, but he is not convinced. He is concerened that they will fly to pieces when he puts it on the track, but that is not going to happen, is it Jum? A lot of things have got to happen before wire-wheels, like medicals for race-licences etc, so for a start you had better cut-out the lamb shanks and pino gris for tea, and go for lettuce and cucumbers!!!!

So there you go Jum, due to my excessive kindness, and in the way of an apology for ripping shit out of you yesterday for ballsing up the HRSCC thread, here is your chance to have your say, and put us all straight on these two cars.

And by the way, your sense of humour isnt to everyones cup of tea, subtle though it is. I sure you have to have had a sharply honed sense of humour to survive in Waiuku, as a valuable member of the 1st fifteen, and then run a business in Tokoroa dealing with all sorts of dodgy characters. You have come through, perhaps not with flying colours, but at least with your head held up. So dont undo all the good by getting all stoppy about your projects......move on and enjoy life for what it is now, with lots of memories both good and not so good.

Ok thats my lecture for the week. Why did I come back to TRS [dont answer that] Havent slept a wink since!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    Attachment 9253

Jim I dont know if you have any time for MG Midgets/Healey Sprites but you have to be impressed by this one. If only the engine bay in mine looked like that.
    Graeme
    Wish my bugeye looked like that too!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by faminz View Post
    Wish my bugeye looked like that too!!!!!!!
    Amco what the hell are you smoking???never go back on my word? I am pleased you did you just need you distributor advanced a little. THE fERRARI BODY AND CHASSIS WAS BUILT not by me so how the hell could I make it into a 250f.Doug Nye{pom}checks cars out for Bonhams,he thought it was the Shuter {Wigram} car,this was when it was up for sale as an original,this tells as to how good it was ,and to have these old codgers ask stupid questons!!!!As Dave says how the hell can you get excited by a Austin 7??I must add to the list to those that helped me with the making of the Ferrari,Tim Bailley Ferrari importer and owner of Continental cars ,on a Ferrari leterhead allowed it to be called a Ferrari!!! John Riley gave me the steering wheel out of the Whitehead clark car{Super Squalo}and Roly Levis who travelled several times from Tauranga to Tokoroa to help with the front suspension,when you look at all those who helped and a couple of unheard of dreamers who question the car what sort of reaction do you expect??As to the SS strange in 1991 at Levels Timaru along side a Alfa TZ2 the best two cars were the Alfa and the SS heading off a 250f ect 17 cars from the States plus Aussie Hong Kong, Plus the reaction of thos two with their YE Ha ect post shows how their mental state is in question

World Champion
    Jim, why is it, when mention of your cars is made, do you come back with 'all guns blazing'.

I know that you did not build the chassis of the 'Ferrari'. What I meant was, why didnt the original builder pick a Maserati to 'copy' rather than a Ferrari?
    I frankly dont care if the Lord Jesus Christ helped you to make the damn thing.......it is still a replica. And what a lot of tosh that Mr Tim Bailey, Ferrari importer 'ALLOWED' it to be called a Ferrari. Did you ask Enzo if it would be alright? Honestly I have never heard so much rubbish in all my life.
    I dont know who these couple of unheard of dreamers are, or the 'two with their ye ha post', but apparently I belong in that camp as well.
    Incidentally, I seem to remember you getting VERY excited over an Austin 7 at the last Festival.

Over and out............