Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brett Young Collection

It has always intrigued me why the doors and grill would have been changed, What was to be gained. Then changing back again.
    Perplexing.

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Yep, well spotted John. As well as the subtle colour changes, there doors also changed. This car was a 1967 RS/SS, but by the 1969/70 season it had 1968 doors with no quarter-windows. Also, the grill changed, from the hidden headlight RS, to a standard 68 then back to RS. But then in the 1972 season when it was painted gold, it had the 67 doors and RS nose back on.

Note also that close up, it was a pretty rough car. These cars really took a lot of punishment.

Bruce, it`s probably as a result of the Camaro that Rod ran in the Glenvale race, and then the car Spinner Black built, as per the photos I showed you a while back. And I think you`ll find Rod ran number 41 - where have you seen that number lately Bruce - instead of 141 because John Riley still had 141 on Rods old Mustang. The following year, as in the last photo, Rod had 141 and John had 222.
    Last edited by fullnoise68; 12-05-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Bruce, in fact if you really, really , really want to get into this, the cut off is what I said on the roundal the number goes on, Red for early , black for later.Early has 41, later has 141. However there is an in between photo which shows the red roundal with a very small 1 just squeezed on. If you have nothing better to do Bruce , you could collect all the photos from all the threads and start a thread just on numbers 41, and 141 .Somewhere out there , there is a worker who knows the answer and is laughing at all this ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Hi Steve, I don't think the track is Baypark - I don't remember any dirt track outside of the sealed circuit. Could it be Levin ??
    Yeah, I reckon it's Levin too. The start straight runs east-west, Bay Park ran north-south. Plus the infield of the start straight at Bay Park is the pits and pit apron, in the pic there's just flat infield. Still a good wee pic, though !
    Last edited by GD66; 12-05-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Could the yellow XU1 be Ray Olenius?
    Well spotted and indeed I believe the track is Levin
    Last edited by Lurker; 12-05-2012 at 09:41 AM.

I wondered if the Glenvale car was involved in some way. Changing the front fenders is quicker that swapping doors and grill.
    Rod would have kept his 141 i'd have thought. (his partner John Ward was 121)
    You'd better live up to the 41 Noisy. Those are big boots to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Bruce, it`s probably as a result of the Camaro that Rod ran in the Glenvale race, and then the car Spinner Black built, as per the photos I showed you a while back. And I think you`ll find Rod ran number 41 - where have you seen that number lately Bruce - instead of 141 because John Riley still had 141 on Rods old Mustang. The following year, as in the last photo, Rod had 141 and John had 222.

John, I think a Rod Coppins thread is a great idea. We can post and compare pics and pay homage to a great Kiwi racer. He ran some neat cars over his time. Who's first ?
    Bruce.

Bruce, in fact if you really, really , really want to get into this, the cut off is what I said on the roundal the number goes on, Red for early , black for later.Early has 41, later has 141. However there is an in between photo
    which shows the red roundal with a very small 1 just squeezed on. If you have nothing better to do Bruce , you could collect all the photos from all the threads and start a thread just on numbers 41, and 141 .Somewhere out there , there is a worker who knows the answer and is laughing at all this ceremony.

I know of a neat car that I saw him driving -had No. 1 on it. Any guesses?

After some further thought, there are many legends, not just in saloons, but other groups out there and to run with just one is not the fairest to our heritage.Further to this it came to me-
    Our overseer , censor and erstwhile thread-ender Steve Holmes could make this an Almanac (Stevemanac?) with alphabetical listings on both cars and drivers Aussie has one , we dont. Heres our opportunity.
    We can have drivers on thread, cars on another threads with a cross over to link them
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 12-06-2012 at 03:20 AM.

An excellent idea. Steve can you think of a suitable format ?

I know of a neat car that I saw him driving -had No. 1 on it. Any guesses?

After some further thought, there are many legends, not just in saloons, but other groups out there and to run with just one is not the fairest to our heritage.Further to this it came to me-
    Our overseer , censor and erstwhile thread-ender Steve Holmes could make this an Almanac (Stevemanac?) with alphabetical listings on both cars and drivers Aussie has one , we dont. Heres our opportunity.
    We can have drivers on thread, cars on another threads with a cross over to link them

How about these

Last edited by kiwi285; 12-07-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Those are all great shots. I will attempt a Rod Coppins thread later today if time permits.
    Cheers,
    Bruce.

Bruce, I`ve been talking with Rods daughter Toni, and I`m organising for her and her daughter to come up from Invercargill for the first weekend of the Denny Hulme Festival, she is rapt with what is on here already about Rod, so a dedicated thread to him would be good and you can post some of my photos of him that I showed you a while back.

Mike, have you cropped the photo of John Rileys red/gold Mustang? It looks very much like my father that John is talking to at the front of the car, but my main concern is the identity of the roman sandalled, school bag carrying ( good for souvneir collecting) ginger nut in the right front of the photo. I think I know who he is..........

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Hi Steve, I don't think the track is Baypark - I don't remember any dirt track outside of the sealed circuit. Could it be Levin ??
    Thanks Mike, well spotted. I actually didn't look so closely at the track, and made my assumption on seeing Brian Foley in there. I thought he'd only raced at Bay Park and Puke. But he must have stuck around and did Levin as well.

Steve, wouldn't the Glenvale car by a standard road car that he took off the lot for the weekend?

Heres an interesting one. The signwriting on the side says it was prepared by Trevor Crowe. Is this Crowe's own car, or just one he prepped for someone else?

Name:  crowe corvette.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  84.3 KB

Mike, have you cropped the photo of John Rileys red/gold Mustang? It looks very much like my father that John is talking to at the front of the car, but my main concern is the identity of the roman sandalled, school bag carrying ( good for souvneir collecting) ginger nut in the right front of the photo. I think I know who he is..........
    Unfortunately I haven't cropped the photo so I guess that the the young boy will remain semi anonymous unless you want to reveal all LOL Be sure that your past will catch up with you sometime.

Great shot here of the Rod Coppins Firebird. Given there is no PDL signwriting, I assume this must be from the 1973/74 season? Or did the PDL signage disappear later in the 1972/73 season?

Name:  rod coppins firebird.jpg
Views: 1627
Size:  91.2 KB

I think this was just prior to the Huttons signwriting going on the car Steve. As for the Glenvale Camaro - which I`ve got a good photo of - I`ll do some enquiry over the weekend, but I vaguely recall that car in my fathers workshop, and it had been hit hard up the arse in a road accident not long after Rod raced it. If you look at the front guards when Rods car was gold, my father made up a pipe former and they semi squared the front wheel arches so Rod had more lock to lock.