Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Trusty Rusty TREKKA

I find it hugely interesting that this thread jumped from a Czech based NZ "thing" to Russian so quickly!
    As one of those who used a Skoda, complete with the Flying Dork emblem, in NZ motorsport events (52 of them) way back when, it intrigues me.
    My trusty mate GeeBee is highly upset that this thread has surpassed his B & H thread with both hits, and postings. Please keep them coming to get him even more pissed off!

Little known fact. The lovely Skoda was the inspiration behind the Porsche 934/5 etc.

Was this yours Rhys ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce302 View Post
    Little known fact. The lovely Skoda was the inspiration behind the Porsche 934/5 etc.

Was this yours Rhys ?

Now that's a real boy-racer

World Champion
    Oldfart, I dont know why the thread 'degenerated' into things Russian from things Czech, cos Im sure that many more NZers have driven Czech derived vehicles than Russian. I'm not sure how much the heavy hand of Russia influenced Czech engineering in the old days, but as ignorant Kiwis we/I just lump all that stuff from that huge continent into one basket.

I drove a Massey-Fergusson tractor some years ago that had been built in Belarus using all the patterns from the original. Unfortunately the casting steel used was not up to scratch and these machines had a bad reputation for porous blocks, and gave a lot of trouble which did the MF name no good at all.

Markson started the thread as a picture of an, almost, unidentifyable chassis in the long grass, and here we are thrashing stuff around that most of us know absolutely nothing about. But isnt that great, and I hope that it will continue for a while yet. I gave it about 2 days at the start and was sure it would peter-out like a lot of threads, but no.

Now Dale is requiring all of us nut cases to be sent to Siberia, but I have a sneeky suspicion that he and other 'died-in-the-wool' posters on TRS are secretly enjoying it. Well as you say, it has surpassed other much more fancied threads and is accelerating about as fast as the 112S..... 0 to 100 in 9 secs...Now if that thing can do 160 MILES per hour, I'll eat my hat......think they may have confussed MPH with KPH......Look at the back-yard extractor system, skinny cross-ply tires etc.....no no no no......well not with me behind the wheel anyway.

By the way, good to see you back Oldfart to give us some more pithy comments, and to hell with the knockers.

As for racing in the old Eastern Bloc, as a youngster I used to regualrly read Motoring News from UK - a weekly English newspaper that covered everything from F1 to hillclimbs on Guernsey. Arrived in NZ by slow ship about 3 months after print date but was about the only way to stay in touch with motor racing in our one tv channel, no internet world (at least until we had some good local racing journals). Anyway, in the UK off season they would always do season summaries of all the classes, and delve into motor racing around the world. One of the quirks would be a review of racing in the Eastern bloc. I recall the Baltic states, Latvia Estonia etc had a mini industry of enthusiasts building and racing single-seaters without the infrastructure available in the west. Somewhat like early days in NZ I guess where the cars were created locally as best they could.

I also recall there was also a track in what was then Czechoslovakia (Brno) which some of the Euro series would visit, Euro Touring Cars and World Champ bikes. Apparently hairy like old Spa, about 18km on on public roads (see pic). Suspect there was some interesting cross-border trade going on with those events

Name:  Brno_01.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  61.0 KB

When you have a look at the Skoda museum site ,it makes the Kiwi effort of the TREKKA, look pretty sick.Markson

Semi-Pro Racer
    They may not look like Trekkas but these are all Skodas including the twin cam sportscar.
    Name:  Skoda_twin_cam_sports.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  43.8 KB
    Name:  skodasupersport - Copy.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  60.9 KB
    Name:  skoda110rcoupe.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  72.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by markson View Post
    When you have a look at the Skoda museum site ,it makes the Kiwi effort of the TREKKA, look pretty sick.Markson
    Markson- you are totally correct. NZ had a chance to produce something great, and fell flat. Extreme utilitarian shape.No wonder they dont want something like the Trekka in their Muzeum of Beautiful cars going back 100 years. That Muzeum leaves most car exhibitions I have seen for dead. Absolutely non teutonic, and more appealing than French or Italian. Trekka is a kit car not a Factory car.They were lucky they could make they before testing to destruction became mandatory-pushing Volvos over a cliff.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 02-22-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Hi John
    Did you have any other info, on that Bruce Goldwater. Markson

Markson- I have more personal info than car info. If that helps , I can tell you.This info is probably best off this thread, and with a phone call. I think it would help fill gaps.

Hi John can you send me a personal message with your phone number Markson

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreboy57 View Post
    As for racing in the old Eastern Bloc, as a youngster I used to regualrly read Motoring News from UK - a weekly English newspaper that covered everything from F1 to hillclimbs on Guernsey. Arrived in NZ by slow ship about 3 months after print date but was about the only way to stay in touch with motor racing in our one tv channel, no internet world (at least until we had some good local racing journals). Anyway, in the UK off season they would always do season summaries of all the classes, and delve into motor racing around the world. One of the quirks would be a review of racing in the Eastern bloc. I recall the Baltic states, Latvia Estonia etc had a mini industry of enthusiasts building and racing single-seaters without the infrastructure available in the west. Somewhat like early days in NZ I guess where the cars were created locally as best they could.

I also recall there was also a track in what was then Czechoslovakia (Brno) which some of the Euro series would visit, Euro Touring Cars and World Champ bikes. Apparently hairy like old Spa, about 18km on on public roads (see pic). Suspect there was some interesting cross-border trade going on with those events

Name:  Brno_01.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  61.0 KB
    LOL , hey we have been to similar places ??? Also the Mount on that summers weekend in the 60's.

I visited Guernsey for a wee sneeky long weekend & on the ferry heading to the Channel Islands were sum great hill climb cars , I did not realize at the time it was part [guernsey] of the UK hill climb championship, I could not believe my eyes F! cars etc , I think the front man was Roy Lane if my memory serve me right in a DFV purpose built hill climb car , winding up through beautiful country side in these cars , I look back & think shit these are brave guys ??

Name:  LS042-4.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  89.0 KB

Do I see a SKODA ??? Markson

World Champion
    Dont think so......a Simca Aronde ??????

Gerald- you are correct

World Champion
    Do you know, I am absolutely gobsmacked by the images of the Skoda Museum. Although I dont know why I should be. This is an Auto maker that has been in business for over 100 years. The whole problem with me, and I suspect others, is that I was totally ignorant of the scale of the Skoda works and their history. Dont know how this amazing facility has escaped the heavy hand of the Russian politicians.

I see a D type Jaguar tucked away in there too.....amazing.

If it handn't have been for markson finding some old chassis buried in the long grass, I, and I guess many others would still be in the dark about this little known, in this country, machine. We all tended to make jokes about the Trekka, but now I am going to have a great deal more respect for things SKODA............Bravo!!!!!!!

My sentiments exactly Gerald.I was stunned by the selection, style and originality .Russians grabbed it during the war and kept it because Skoda made cannons and weapons.Logically really.
    Great thing about this site-its the people and the contribution that is made and shared.

I am going out after fire wood again tomorrow,I wonder whats in store for next week .Markson

With a bit of luck ,when we go scratching around ,we might be lucky to find a rego plate, or a warrant sticker.Markson

Name:  IMG_0343.JPG
Views: 697
Size:  38.3 KB

Trekka Skoda chassis