Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Alan Smith Collection

grants pre 65 mustang plus

I remember you racing that Mustang at a North v South Pre65 event Grant. You were so much faster than everything else, it was quite amazing. I think it might have been at Ruapuna but I could be wrong.

Thanks Steve , yes it was Ruapuna north island verses south island], we went down with dot rated tyres , as all were allowed that meeting , actually Dad's friend allen hubard [S C Finnance bought me the tryes] My car had a lot of time spent on testing prior , on springs ,shocks, geometery , corner weights etc , We put a lot of effort into it , first time out got a record stood a few years , this does not mean we [I] are better than any one else but put more effort into it the car was amazing to drive was like it was on rails compared to some others , I will get you some pics in a day or two , Cheers Grant

This Farina was later owned by Alan Smith, who took the photos in this collection. However, Alan thinks it could have been owned by Errol Payne when this shot was taken. Can anyone help? And who are the other two cars owned by?

Name:  img001.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  138.7 KB

And here is the same A40 a little later in its life. I believe this is when Alan Smith owned it. This was taken at Port Road sprints.

Name:  img002.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  135.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Thanks Steve , yes it was Ruapuna north island verses south island], we went down with dot rated tyres , as all were allowed that meeting , actually Dad's friend allen hubard [S C Finnance bought me the tryes] My car had a lot of time spent on testing prior , on springs ,shocks, geometery , corner weights etc , We put a lot of effort into it , first time out got a record stood a few years , this does not mean we [I] are better than any one else but put more effort into it the car was amazing to drive was like it was on rails compared to some others , I will get you some pics in a day or two , Cheers Grant
    Grant, did a well known gentleman who raced along time ago, better known for his single seater days help with the set up. Remember a conversation around this in a shed in Matamata

Frank Hamlins gorgeous Mini.

Name:  img003.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  153.2 KB

Andrew Buchanan's Elfin 400

Name:  img016.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  145.6 KB

Some really nice shots here of 1966 1.5 Litre champion Roly Levis in his Brabham at Levin. Judging by the dates on these, my guess would be these are from the Zambucka Trophy event held in November 1965.

Name:  img022.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  112.8 KB

Name:  img020.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  125.3 KB

Name:  img021.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  130.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Grant, did a well known gentleman who raced along time ago, better known for his single seater days help with the set up. Remember a conversation around this in a shed in Matamata
    THANKS ROD Yes I had Roly Levis with me , I was very lucky , we ended up being close friends , approx 10 yrs ago.
    We ended up being competiitive golf mates , pool mates , & a few beers at his home at 15th ave Tga he told me some really interesting stories , we travelled up & down NI with our mustang the experience with in our small circle was a lot of fun , Roly is one of the old school like Ernie , Denny & a few others with a high I Q , & knew physics , the laws of cause & effects to things , .I have more lol . Talk soon Rod thanks Grant

As in more , I mean more stories ............ after reading this hope was not taken wrong , as these guys were very clever plus

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Some really nice shots here of 1966 1.5 Litre champion Roly Levis in his Brabham at Levin. Judging by the dates on these, my guess would be these are from the Zambucka Trophy event held in November 1965.

Who else do we have on the grid at Levin ? #17 is Johnny Riley in the Lotus 18/19.....others ?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Other front-row starters Andy Buchanan (Brabham-Climax BT7) on the left of the pic and Graeme Lawrence (Brabham BT6) obscured on the right. Behind them (left to right) Riley, Dennis Marwood (Rothmans Cooper-Climax) and Bill Caldwell (Brabham BT6)

Ah yes, Buchanan presumably wearing #8 and it's Caldwell I couldn't pick but the Stadium goggles are a giveaway, thanks David.

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Other front-row starters Andy Buchanan (Brabham-Climax BT7) on the left of the pic and Graeme Lawrence (Brabham BT6) obscured on the right. Behind them (left to right) Riley, Dennis Marwood (Rothmans Cooper-Climax) and Bill Caldwell (Brabham BT6)
    Thanks David.

OK, I'm taking a punt here, but is this Frank Radisich? If so, that could also explain what appears to be the ex-Dave Simpson Anglia parked alongside. I think this might be from the 1968 season.

Name:  img025.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  113.3 KB

With Henderson Central Motors on the side, 119 absolutely would be Frank Radisich.

Thanks John.

Here is another I'm struggling with. Trying to put 2 and 2 together, I'll probably come up with 5, but here goes. The photo date says Jan 1966, so if the date was from when the photo was taken, rather than when it was developed, this is probably the Levin round of the 1966 Tasman Series. The red car in the background is number 17, which would be John Rileys Lotus-Climax. If the cars are pitted based on car number, and the white car next to the Riley Lotus is number 18, then could this mean the car pictured in the foreground is Ken Smiths Lotus 22? The motor is definitely a Ford. He usually preferred #11, but numbers were assigned in the Tasman Series. Any takers?

Name:  img023.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  134.0 KB

Beautiful pic thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    OK, I'm taking a punt here, but is this Frank Radisich? If so, that could also explain what appears to be the ex-Dave Simpson Anglia parked alongside. I think this might be from the 1968 season.

Name:  img025.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  113.3 KB
    First time I had ever seen that little anlia in those colours well done