Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Pete Geoghegan's Mustang GTA

Semi-Pro Racer
    Excellent article and some great photos. Well done Steve. It's good for us Kiwis to get a run down on what was happening in Oz in those stirring times....

So...

who's next?...............

(runs away and holds arms over head.....)

Kind of get the impression that everyone who visits or posts on this site is totally enthused by it's content and a look back at the good old days when we had full employement, telephones didn't have cameras and petrol was a quid for 5-2/10th gallons. Used to fill up my 100E for that amount. Just an absolutely brilliant site. Keep it up team and well done Steve.

Looking back through MM and Auto News from this period they covered NZ, Canam and F1 and usually only Aus saloons got a mention when they came here or a small paragraph at the end of the Tasman Series write up.
    Real racing cars were single seaters , saloons were fillins and not taken too seriously.
    Frosty5- when I first started driving in 69, petrol was 38 cents a gallon for my E93A.
    So Steve , a huge thank you for filling in these spaces.
    BTW I have a stack of Aussie mags from this time .
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-17-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Well done Steve...good summary
    Makes the memory banks work a bit tho.

Thanks again guys, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thats what this site is all about.

Great article Steve. I'm not sure if the Forum Members will remember the images I posted (in the Sponsors News Forum on this site) of the 1:43rd model of this car.

I still have some in stock. Check them out here ... www.spr-models.co.nz ... and don't forget that I will make a $10.00 donation to The Roaring Season for every model purchased by a Forum member.

Cheers, John

Name:  ARMCO_14.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  115.0 KB

Name:  ARMCO_14a.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  119.5 KB

Name:  ARMCO_14d.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  ARMCO_14h.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  156.9 KB
    Last edited by John B; 07-17-2013 at 10:24 AM.

If I had not the 2006 Australian Muscle car mag with the 27 pages article on this car, I would think it took Steve a year or two to collect this information...:-). Confess you had it next to the keyboard, Steve?
    Not to distract anything ...it is still a very good article and the pictures are outstanding!
    Last edited by TransamEd; 07-17-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TransamEd View Post
    If I had not the 2006 Australian Muscle car mag with the 27 pages article on this car, I would think it took Steve a year or two to collect this information...:-). Confess you had it next to the keyboard, Steve?
    Not to distract anything ...it is still a very good article and the pictures are outstanding!
    Yep, absolutely I used that article. I also used 'The Australian Touring Car Championship' book by Graham Howard and Stewart Wilson which was published in 1985 and covered the full history of the ATCC from each year since it began. I also used 'Ford: Falcon, Mustang, Sierra' book by Stewart Wilson which was published in the early 1990s and was about the Falcons, Mustangs, and Sierras that raced in Australia throughout the years. I also used 'Trans-Am Racing 1966-85' book by Albert R. Bochroch which was about the history of the Trans-Am series. I also used several copies of Vintage Motorsport magazine from the mid-1990s that featured the Trans-Am series, plus I also used several other issues of AMC, plus several issues of period Aussie and New Zealand car magazines from the late '60s and early '70s which featured articles and info about this period of racing when it was happening. My desk was bending under the weight!

I have been fascinated by this car since I saw photos of it as a kid, so have been collecting material for most of my life.

This world would be grey and dull without our fascinations

Awesome Steve, those of us lucky enough to have seen this car and driver in action were lucky. This was 'Pete's Car'. as in you mention Pete Geoghegan and this car springs to mind.

Thanks for the time to do these write ups Steve.

Wonderful stuff. I remember the NZ races as a young lad. That's why I like mustangs......................

Thanks to Bullitt , Red and Pete 67-68 are always very memorable shape

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Great article Steve. I'm not sure if the Forum Members will remember the images I posted (in the Sponsors News Forum on this site) of the 1:43rd model of this car.

I still have some in stock. Check them out here ... www.spr-models.co.nz ... and don't forget that I will make a $10.00 donation to The Roaring Season for every model purchased by a Forum member.

Cheers, John
    ]
    Fortuitously I just received my model from you John and very nice it is - extremely well packed by the way, thanks. I think the Super Falcon might be next on the list.

If I can't have the real thing, then nicely detailed models will suffice.....
    Last edited by SPman; 07-18-2013 at 02:02 AM.

Cool model.
    I wish they would do this GTA next to the Falcon in 1:8 ! from icon down under. It certainly deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    Fortuitously I just received my model from you John and very nice it is - extremely well packed by the way, thanks. I think the Super Falcon might be next on the list.

If I can't have the real thing, then nicely detailed models will suffice.....
    Glad the Mustang arrived OK John. The McLaren M1A model that you pre-ordered has just arrived, so that's another $10.00 donation to The Roaring Season.
    Cheers, John
    SPR Models

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Yep, absolutely I used that article. I also used 'The Australian Touring Car Championship' book by Graham Howard and Stewart Wilson which was published in 1985 and covered the full history of the ATCC from each year since it began. I also used 'Ford: Falcon, Mustang, Sierra' book by Stewart Wilson which was published in the early 1990s and was about the Falcons, Mustangs, and Sierras that raced in Australia throughout the years. I also used 'Trans-Am Racing 1966-85' book by Albert R. Bochroch which was about the history of the Trans-Am series. I also used several copies of Vintage Motorsport magazine from the mid-1990s that featured the Trans-Am series, plus I also used several other issues of AMC, plus several issues of period Aussie and New Zealand car magazines from the late '60s and early '70s which featured articles and info about this period of racing when it was happening. My desk was bending under the weight!

I have been fascinated by this car since I saw photos of it as a kid, so have been collecting material for most of my life.
    For a second I thought you had been in my office book case Steve, but I don't have the Trans Am book. I'll have to let my wife read this, she thinks I'm the only one...

Semi-Pro Racer
    Here are some photos from a collection I bought a few years ago. I'm not sure of the dates or locations.Name:  Mustang GTA.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  173.2 KB

Oh wow, those are beautiful!

Semi-Pro Racer
    The first one is Oran Park and I reckon the others are as well. Can't give you dates though.

Dale.

Looks like they're from the 1969 season though?