Thread: New Zealand Pre 61 Saloon Register

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    Yes, and none of the cars depicted above in the coloured photos would be eligible for this class. Look at the wheels.....they are all on widened steel rims..........not allowed!!!!! So goodness knows what is under the bonnet or holding the axles on. This is where I think the specifications are too tight. They need to be opened up a bit or we will get what ERC says and that is tiny fields with 'pure' cars.

What was the saying in the 1980's..............'there is only one thing worse than taking pictures of Lady Diana....... that is..NOT taking pictures of Lady Diana'. Same here. My diatribe above is/was meant to encourage comment. Once the discussion stops, it's all over. We do not want this subject to slip to page 3!!!!!!!!!!!

JacMac.......I have had an issue with this 'Cars are the Stars' thing right from the word go. A car by its very nature is just so much metal,rubber and plastic with a bit of water and oil thrown in for good measure. The combination of all these things does little to excite the brain UNTIL the pilot gets into the cockpit and presses the start button. Then this pile of nuts and bolts and metal comes alive. Presently warm vapours assault the senses the whole thing comes alive. So to be a star, the car needs a driver, good or bad, and then depending on the skill or otherwise of the driver will become a star.
    Think of some of the cars Nuvolari drove. Many of them were not stars until he drove them.

A line up of HMC cars is very nice, but how much nicer when fired up and taken out on the track.
    You will hear this phrase a lot over the next couple of months leading up to the Festival, but frankly I think it is rubbish!!!!!!!!!Likewise a group of 1950's saloons will not excite me until they are fired up and put through their antics on the track, the guy at the wheel turning the car into a STAR!!!!!
    Last edited by AMCO72; 10-27-2013 at 03:18 AM.