Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
The Ronny McDowell Firebird was owned by Cowan-Black promotions and was built up by Ron Kendall, Eddie Sutherland, and the Ferabends. Unfortunately the car was only just finished in time for the McDowell visit and too many teething problems meant that Ronny was not seen at anything like his best. Ron Kendall took over the driving duties following the visit and got the car sorted, the only hickup was when one of the USA drivers on his way to Australia, and here with Gene Welch, blew the engine in a guest drive. I believe the car did go on to John Scott, but I am not 100% certain. The John Scott car certainly was a competitive package and was still racing against the new tube frame cars in the early eighties. I think the photo Dale posted would be from 1981.
Photos will follow in the next few days.
Hi PallMall, yes those were great days at Waikaraka Park. Cut my racing teeth there at 17 after building a stock car when an engineering apprentice. One of the guys I had a lot to do with was Phil Joyce and his 100E bodied stock car. He had Otara Panelbeaters just a few doors up from where Johhny Riley had his original car sales. Have often wondered what, where Phil got to. He used to live in Papatoetoe. His brother Frank also raced at WP. Do you know if he is still around. Cheers, Dave Graham