Thanks George. I didn't realise it was as bad as that. However, I think that might make it even more important to differentiate the 'Historic' cars and hopefully encourage people to return their cars to period-spec. Otherwise, mightn't more of the important old cars either return to mothballs, stay in mothballs or turn up with the latest 1000hp Nissan engine?
Personally I'd love to see some sort of 'HSS' banner on the windscreen with a year representing the car's spec. That might add a bit of status to the car and also reduce any competitive ego, eg, people will not expect the guy with '1985' on his windscreen to be cleaning up the guy with '1995' on his. Maybe different colour banners for champion cars running in the same spec as their championship year?
Sorry, I should butt out as I haven't done much in the way of motorsport. By the time I had rebuilt Tony Rutherford's RX2, I couldn't afford to run it and had to sell it. Other than a couple of clubman races and hillclimbs over 20 years ago, I've just been a spectator. My feeling is that the spectator's would love it though.