Thread: Monterey Historic Automobile Races - 1982.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    Further to the above photos..... the tag on the number 3 car says Deusenberg. I doubt very much whether it is, not the engine anyway, as I think I am right in saying all Deusenberg engines were straight 8's........right from the very first one. Lots of those board-racers were Ford powered, and that machine looks to have an after market OHV head, Rajo etc on a 4 cylinder block. Interesting chassis though.

The give-away that the big black tourer ISNT English is the wheel knock-off hubs. The Germans, Spanish, French and American had these large spinners whereas the English and Italians went for the finer version, mostly 2 eared, sometimes 3. The Spanish Pegaso car had large 2 eared spinners which always looked to me to be out of proportion, but on the German Mercedes Benz cars they looked ok. Even on a Vintage Bentley, itself a large car, the spinners were much finer. I think I have seen pictures of the Stutz classic racing in modern times, but it is on smaller wheels.......probably sensible, as I imagine racing tyres for the large 21inch would be hard to come by.

I wonder if the Austin 7 Mini still exists ??
    Last edited by AMCO72; 09-12-2015 at 10:04 PM.